Anyone out there like me?

jenni-m

Reaction score
Hello,

I guess I should introduce myself, I'm new here.

I am not sure what to say, so I guess I will list some things first.

I was born profoundly deaf, and with very high myopia. It was correctable to a good level of vision with lenses, but when I was still little I had sudden retinal detachment and 'bubbling', it was repaired but left me with permanent vision impairment. (no central vision left eye, right eye has 'holes')

I don't know much ASL, and find it difficult. I can use it about as well as a child. I tend to use alphabet, with some hand touching, or alternate means of communicating.

I got CI a bit after they 'came out' in the USA, I still cannot 'hear everything' or understand spoken English. I can make some sounds with awareness but do not speak English except for a handful of small words.

I have been told that I write English very well, and have a 'large' vocabulary, but it is not as easy as it looks. I still often have to learn new words and relearn old words and rules, and spellings. I also use a method which I have called 'pathing', and 'phrase chunks'. I see many words as 'pictures' in my mind and remember what letters go to them, and signing alphabet seems to help keep me 'sharp' with spelling but signing is still very different from writing, to me.

I am very shy and reclusive, 'off line', except for my boyfriend and a few people close to me. They have encouraged me to come online as a way to meet others and talk, as I am somewhat 'isolated', I guess. I am not very good at social conversation, but I am starting to find it easier when doing it by typing.

Well, I think that is all I will write, for now.

Welcome, Jenni. I think it's great that you're now on-line. Many deafies are shy, so you'll fit right in.

Hello and :welcome: to AD! This is an excellent site to go on and meet everyone here. Just go with the flow and enjoy yourself. :)

:welcome: to Alldeaf! You've come to a right place as there are so many topics to browse through. I am sure you will fit in and discuss away. Have fun and enjoy browsing! :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf. I hope ya will enjoy reading and posting. :)

Yea dont worry speak your mind..everyone is entitled at their own opinion!
have fun posting around!
glad you came to join AD!

Hello,

I guess I should introduce myself, I'm new here.

I am not sure what to say, so I guess I will list some things first.

I was born profoundly deaf, and with very high myopia. It was correctable to a good level of vision with lenses, but when I was still little I had sudden retinal detachment and 'bubbling', it was repaired but left me with permanent vision impairment. (no central vision left eye, right eye has 'holes')

I don't know much ASL, and find it difficult. I can use it about as well as a child. I tend to use alphabet, with some hand touching, or alternate means of communicating.

I got CI a bit after they 'came out' in the USA, I still cannot 'hear everything' or understand spoken English. I can make some sounds with awareness but do not speak English except for a handful of small words.

I have been told that I write English very well, and have a 'large' vocabulary, but it is not as easy as it looks. I still often have to learn new words and relearn old words and rules, and spellings. I also use a method which I have called 'pathing', and 'phrase chunks'. I see many words as 'pictures' in my mind and remember what letters go to them, and signing alphabet seems to help keep me 'sharp' with spelling but signing is still very different from writing, to me.

I am very shy and reclusive, 'off line', except for my boyfriend and a few people close to me. They have encouraged me to come online as a way to meet others and talk, as I am somewhat 'isolated', I guess. I am not very good at social conversation, but I am starting to find it easier when doing it by typing.

Well, I think that is all I will write, for now.

Hi there... Take your time... No need to feel isolated... Just be yourself, and be happy... Just feel what you have to say... and enjoy the group you are in.. and WELCOME... Don't mind Seeker... He just likes to say "Freeze!" No harm... Feel free to ask me or any registered member anything.... :thumb:

Jenni, everyone here at AllDeaf is like you. Perhaps our circumstances do not mirror that of yours while, at the end, we've all similar "AllDeaf" experiences.

The last time I checked, only 3% of the "hearing impaired" community speaks American Sign Language. That number may be outdated but that's besides the point. The point is that your language of choice does not define you. The majority of the d/Deaf/hard of hearing community is born to hearing parents and, as a result, many, many home-signs are used. What defines you are experiences and that, as a whole, gives AllDeaf its niche. Rest assured, you've come to the right place.

Isolation is a frequent experience by many. Nothing replaces the human touch and we, all, reach out online for various reasons: rural, social, and/or circumstance(s).

You are blessed to be surrounded by people who love you (your "boyfriend and a few people close to me") and they are well-intentioned in encouraging you to reach out. There are many, who are deaf/hard of hearing without ideal situations, who find themselves socially inept. That is a personal fear that, really, is somebody else's problem; not yours.

Keep your chin up and welcome!

jenni-m. Have you tried SEE (signing exact English?) There are some Dhh folks who for some reason or another don't undy ASL.

I don't seem to pick up on any of it very easily, guess it will take more work and practice to master some sign language. I grew up undiagnosed, 30% hearing in both ears, I grew up in a 100% hearing world, am darn good at lip reading. Got my first hearing aid at 19, I choose to just wear one. Still don't do great in a hearing world, and am wanting to learn more sign, I only have Level I. Oh shoot, I am sorry I did not mean to hijack your thread!!!

I love what Wokamuka posted, what a great reply. Cheers!

Back