Anyone know about Stutter relative to you?

Interesting correlation you make between hard of hearing and fluid build up and not speaking well.

I used to stutter myself after I had all my ear surgeries and became hard of hearing, no longer deaf.

Nonetheless, I tend not to worry about that much anymore though as I am pretty much deaf again and use Asl exclusively.

Now as far as passing it down to your kids, I don't think thats possible because he was not born with it and he don't stutter anymore. Since he was not born with it its not inherited and since he don't stutter anymore it wont be a learned behavior.

Not necessarily. Some genetic conditions do not manifest until later in life. Not all have symptoms that are present at birth. Without symptoms, one does not investigate the cause. Therrefore, some genetic conditions are not discovered until well after birth.

Not necessarily. Some genetic conditions do not manifest until later in life. Not all have symptoms that are present at birth. Without symptoms, one does not investigate the cause. Therrefore, some genetic conditions are not discovered until well after birth.

Stuttering is not a condition its a disorder and its never without symptoms. There are two types of stuttering, Developmental and Acquired, and only Acquired stuttering developes latter in life. Acquired stuttering is typically from some sorta neurological event its never genetic in origin or cause.

Sources:

Yairi, E; Ambrose, N (1992). "Onset of stuttering in preschool children: selected factors". Journal of speech and hearing research 35 (4): 782–8. PMID 1405533

Kuster, Judith Maginnis (2005-04-01). Folk Myths About Stuttering. Minnesota State University.

Yairi, E; Ambrose, N; Cox, N (1996). "Genetics of stuttering: a critical review". Journal of Speech Language Hearing Research 39: 771–784.

Stuttering is not a condition its a disorder and its never without symptoms. There are two types of stuttering, Developmental and Acquired, and only Acquired stuttering developes latter in life. Acquired stuttering is typically from some sorta neurological event its never genetic in origin or cause.

Sources:

Yairi, E; Ambrose, N (1992). "Onset of stuttering in preschool children: selected factors". Journal of speech and hearing research 35 (4): 782–8. PMID 1405533

Kuster, Judith Maginnis (2005-04-01). Folk Myths About Stuttering. Minnesota State University.

Yairi, E; Ambrose, N; Cox, N (1996). "Genetics of stuttering: a critical review". Journal of Speech Language Hearing Research 39: 771–784.

Good for you. You are actually reading. Now lets apply it to real life situations.

Genetic conditions are always present at birth. Therefore, they are not acquired. Genetic conditions can result in symptomology that produces stuttering behaviors. However, those behaviors do not always manifest at birth, as the genetic conditions does not always manifest at birth. Therefore, forms of stuttering that are the result of a genetic disorder can appear to be acquired, when actually, the genetic abnormality that is responsible has been present from birth. It is just that symptomology did not manifest until some point after birth.

You are confusing symptomology with actual genetic conditions and acquired conditions. Stuttering is a symptom. Even when stuttering has been acquired from traumatic brain injury, as in the case of a stroke, it is a symptom of the neurological disorder, not the disorder in and of itself. In fact, int he case of stuttering associated with traumatic neurological insult, the stuttering is a coping mechanism that compensates for short term/long term memory retrieval impairment.

Good for you. You are actually reading. Now lets apply it to real life situations.

Genetic conditions are always present at birth. Therefore, they are not acquired. Genetic conditions can result in symptomology that produces stuttering behaviors. However, those behaviors do not always manifest at birth, as the genetic conditions does not always manifest at birth. Therefore, forms of stuttering that are the result of a genetic disorder can appear to be acquired, when actually, the genetic abnormality that is responsible has been present from birth. It is just that symptomology did not manifest until some point after birth.

You are confusing symptomology with actual genetic conditions and acquired conditions. Stuttering is a symptom. Even when stuttering has been acquired from traumatic brain injury, as in the case of a stroke, it is a symptom of the neurological disorder, not the disorder in and of itself. In fact, int he case of stuttering associated with traumatic neurological insult, the stuttering is a coping mechanism that compensates for short term/long term memory retrieval impairment.

Acquired stuttering is not genetic its caused by, most always, some neurological event. Stuttering is not a condition either its a disdorder and disorders are different then conditions.

Stuttering: a disorder of vocal communication marked by involuntary disruption or blocking of speech

stuttering. (n.d.). Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary. Retrieved July 07, 2008, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stuttering

If anyone's not reading its you.

Everything I stated about stuttering is a fact :) I hope its helpful Pinky.

Everything I stated about stuttering is a fact :) I hope its helpful Pinky.

But your genetic information is as mistaken as A.G. Bell's was. As I told her, you cannot predict the liklihood of a genetic transmission without a full genetic profile.

Back