Anyone here have reptiles?

You are exactly right. We have a huge reptile community here in Texas and I am one of these people who have the fewest reptiles. I personally know some people who have over 100 reptiles in their house and they all are getting the proper care. It just depends on the individual...not everyone who have 20+ animals is a hoarder.

Of course not everyone does. I was just checking to be sure. :)

Um... 20 is nothing.

I have known people with over 50-400 snakes in their collection. Some even have more, but those ones have a separate building dedicated to it. They're still being cared for properly.
correct. 20 is NOTHING to some. or a BIGGIE to some. for instance, 10 - 14 cats, easy for me or it's like 3 - 4 cats for me but 10 - 15 dogs for me? nah. one of my friend has 25 dogs and I don't know how she could do it! I admire and respect her courage/determination! as long as all are well taken care of, fed and proper attention given. hats off to her. when people offend me thinking I 'hoard' animals or am having too many pets, I tell them did you mean how big my heart is? I guess that makes theirs smaller. :giggle:

other than most pets, I own two reptiles now (both sweet corn snakes; albino and ghost- I see you have both of them too!) and would LOVE to have crested geckos some day. I used to have a bearded dragon - hoping to own one again someday (need a bigger house first! and for geckos' habitations as well. then some research for preparations).

pretty snakes you guys have there. wouldn't mind to own a python/boa if any needed to be rescued. (seems I am only one, gal with snakes...does that makes me sexier?) :lol:

If someone has too many pets...that's animal hoarding which is a huge problem. I hope you are able to take care of 20 repitles and take care of yourself and the home as well.
I have and took care of 22 snakes at ZOO when I worked there, it's not that so hard... you just refresh every waterbowl every other day. feed each once a week. and scoop out any fresh poops. they don't require lengthy-time of attention either so you can take them out whenever you want to. they are fun to watch, exploring through their enchantments.

now, are they same to 20 dogs? 20 birds? or 20 mice? no. :)

correct. 20 is NOTHING to some. or a BIGGIE to some. for instance, 10 - 14 cats, easy for me or it's like 3 - 4 cats for me but 10 - 15 dogs for me? nah. one of my friend has 25 dogs and I don't know how she could do it! I admire and respect her courage/determination! as long as all are well taken care of, fed and proper attention given. hats off to her. when people offend me thinking I 'hoard' animals or am having too many pets, I tell them did you mean how big my heart is? I guess that makes theirs smaller. :giggle:

other than most pets, I own two reptiles now (both sweet corn snakes; albino and ghost- I see you have both of them too!) and would LOVE to have crested geckos some day. I used to have a bearded dragon - hoping to own one again someday (need a bigger house first! and for geckos' habitations as well. then some research for preparations).

pretty snakes you guys have there. wouldn't mind to own a python/boa if any needed to be rescued. (seems I am only one, gal with snakes...does that makes me sexier?) :lol:

In one word... YES :naughty:

I have almost 20 reptiles....mostly snakes. Im curious if anyone else on this forum own/breed reptiles? I can post pictures of my reptiles sometime soon if anyone is interested. Im hoping there are deaf herpers in Texas!

Do attorneys count as reptiles? I mean, most are slimy bottom feeders and cold blooded too ....:lol:

If someone is working a full time job and has a family with children, it may be too much for one to take care of that many pets.

If someone is working a full time job and has a family with children, it may be too much for one to take care of that many pets.
yeah, for some. I have two part time jobs; am WAHM and still find time spending with my children - everything works out just fine. :)

Not really... when I had a sizeable collection, it went like this:

Feed once a week (about 15-20 of snakes, plus additional lizards), thaw out rat the night before, drop the rat in each of the bin. Takes about 5 minutes to take out the rats of the freezer to thaw out in the beer fridge overnight. Feeding time is only about 15 minutes or so.

Refill waterbowl before going to bed. Once a week, clean out the bin, throw out newspaper or paper towel bedding, put the unwashed dishes into the sink for later, use new bowls, transfer snakes to new CLEAN bins, put dirty bins aside for washing later. That would take about 30 minutes to an hour.

The cleaning of the bins? I just let them soak in water, add some antibacterial (vet-quality) cleaner-- the same kind of stuff they use to clean tables and counters in hospitals. Dunno how long that take.

Lots easier than a cat for me, assuming I am not in a lethargic "fuck all, life sucks" mood.

Now I will admit, one does have to put in considerable time to calm a snake down not view humans as predators since some are really cranky when you first get them.

Back