Anyone here had a Brain Stem Implant?

reeny

Reaction score
I'm 58, female, newly and profoundly deaf due to NF2. I live in Canada and my neurosurgeon has recommended I go to California to have a brain stem implanted at the same time they do the tumour removal on the right side acoustic nerve. This procedure is not done in Canada yet. Hearing Aids or Cochlear Implants will not help me as my eardrums are fine. It is the acoustic nerves that go from the eardrum to the brain that have been damaged. I haven't seen any mention of the brain stem implant on this site and am wondering if anyone here has had the procedure and if you have an opinion on it. Thanks all.

Yes we have one guy also with NF2 who has one, but I don't think he has been here for quite some time.

I don't think I like the idea of you taking the risk of going under the knife to have Auditory Brainstem Implant. Surgery is risky. I don't know why you have to have it if your hearing is not combatable with hearing aids and CIs. You can learn to accept being deaf. I don't like the idea of someone forcing you to get hearing device (I don't know much about ABI). I am not comfortable about surgery on any device to put in the brain or cochlear. :(

I don't think I like the idea of you taking the risk of going under the knife to have Auditory Brainstem Implant. Surgery is risky. I don't know why you have to have it if your hearing is not combatable with hearing aids and CIs. You can learn to accept being deaf. I don't like the idea of someone forcing you to get hearing device (I don't know much about ABI). I am not comfortable about surgery on any device to put in the brain or cochlear. :(

Nobody is forcing the OP. Maybe YOU need to accept other people decisions about their own life eh? You've always been deaf, it's easy for you say .....just be desk. You have no clue what it's like to be hearing and then lose it. Never judge someone til you walk 2 moons in their moccasins......walk a mile woman walk a mile.

Nobody is forcing the OP. Maybe YOU need to accept other people decisions about their own life eh? You've always been deaf, it's easy for you say .....just be desk. You have no clue what it's like to be hearing and then lose it. Never judge someone til you walk 2 moons in their moccasins......walk a mile woman walk a mile.

However, the ABI is considered risky and very low success.

We really are allowed to share our opinions without being attacked every time by someone who doesn't like it.

However, the ABI is considered risky and very low success.

We really are allowed to share our opinions without being attacked every time by someone who doesn't like it.

I know, which is exactly why I can what I did ;) hmmm actually no, you are allowed to put your opinions out there, but there is no given that everyone has to agree with it or keep their mouth shut, see, you disagree with what I said, and you got to tell me right? You didn't have to just let it go without saying anything??? No, no I don't believe you did. If someone doesn't want something they said criticized, well don't say it. We don't have to coddle people either ;)

When someone late deafened comes on here wondering about procedures to get some or all of their hearing it pseudo hearing back. Then someone that's always been deaf comes along and says it's not worth it, just be deaf, deaf is fine. I'm allowed to tell them their opinion is irrelevant. They don't get to put a price or worth on hearing, they've never been hearing and they don't know it's worth.

I know, which is exactly why I can what I did ;) hmmm actually no, you are allowed to put your opinions out there, but there is no given that everyone has to agree with it or keep their mouth shut, see, you disagree with what I said, and you got to tell me right? You didn't have to just let it go without saying anything??? No, no I don't believe you did. If someone doesn't want something they said criticized, well don't say it. We don't have to coddle people either ;)

When someone late deafened comes on here wondering about procedures to get some or all of their hearing it pseudo hearing back. Then someone that's always been deaf comes along and says it's not worth it, just be deaf, deaf is fine. I'm allowed to tell them their opinion is irrelevant. They don't get to put a price or worth on hearing, they've never been hearing and they don't know it's worth.
But you could just give your opinion below the poster you disagree with, about how great the ABI is and how well it works, without making constant personal attacks.

What was that whole moccasin thing? Some kind of racism>

Since it is really "walk a mile in the other man's shoes"

No it's a Indian proverb, if you want it to be racist I can't stop you. I can have an opinion of an opinion :D
"Walk a mile" isn't the only saying with that meaning I didn't pull it out my butt.
See I never tell people that have been deaf since birth they should wear hearing aids, or get a CI or talk. For one thing it's none of my business. For another they're happy, so that's great. We all got handed lemons but we don't all have to make the same lemonade. See that's a saying ;) I want to pursue a CI, but that doesn't mean I think everyone should, that it would make everyone happy. See what I mean.

She didn't just make a comment about brain stem implants either did she? She just had to insert just be deaf in there didn't she? It's douchy. And if I'm douchy for telling her it's douchy, well I'm okay with that :D

What can I say? I'm a firm believer in allowing and respecting other people's decisions in life. Just look at my signature. It's not "attacking" it's discourse. What is with you and wanting me to treat this woman with kid gloves anyway? If I'm attacking, why don't you just let her defend herself hmmmmmm

Last edited:
racism? really? Really? what a joke bottasini!!! your smart enough o know what was being communicated. tsk tsk. that was a poor showing in my opinion.
last time i checked it would be termed a proverb.

racism? really? Really? what a joke bottasini!!! your smart enough o know what was being communicated. tsk tsk. that was a poor showing in my opinion.
last time i checked it would be termed a proverb.

Makes just as much sense as Ambrosia's constant attacks on Bebonang.

She has her favorite targets...

No it's a Indian proverb, if you want it to be racist I can't stop you. I can have an opinion of an opinion :D
"Walk a mile" isn't the only saying with that meaning I didn't pull it out my butt.
See I never tell people that have been deaf since birth they should wear hearing aids, or get a CI or talk. For one thing it's none of my business. For another they're happy, so that's great. We all got handed lemons but we don't all have to make the same lemonade. See that's a saying ;) I want to pursue a CI, but that doesn't mean I think everyone should, that it would make everyone happy. See what I mean.

She didn't just make a comment about brain stem implants either did she? She just had to insert just be deaf in there didn't she? It's douchy. And I'm douchy for telling her it's douchy, well I'm okay with that :D

What can I say? I'm a firm believer in allowing and respecting other people's decisions in life. Just look at my signature. It's not "attacking" it's discourse. What is with you and wanting me to treat this woman with kid gloves anyway? If I'm attacking, why don't you just let her defend herself hmmmmmm

Ok. I think late deafened people are stupid and douchy...

That's ok to say, you say? ;_ ;) ;) ;)

That winky smiley is really cute.... Never notice before.

Painting with such a broad brush is unbecoming botteseni. really. relax. Ambrosia can handle herself i'm certain, but in my opinion i have not seen her attack benobang. for what its worth.
if your finding yourself getting too hot headed. take a break
chill, as a suggestion to better rational discourse. use reason not emotion. especially in this topic
my opinion of course.

But you could just give your opinion below the poster you disagree with, about how great the ABI is and how well it works, without making constant personal attacks.

What was that whole moccasin thing? Some kind of racism>

Since it is really "walk a mile in the other man's shoes"

It really mean if you understand the white man's perspective.

With the native way of saying, Walk a mile in your moccasins which mean you have to understand the native perspective. It is all about perspective. I may not understand that much about the white man's perspective. I also know a lot about d/deaf perspective. :cool2:

To a point. Your perspective will also differ with other D/deaf peoples perspective. Thus around around we go...........

Makes just as much sense as Ambrosia's constant attacks on Bebonang.

She has her favorite targets...

Hey I don't make her say the same stupid narrow minded crap over and over and over again.

Benonang a just this one drum, that she beats one rhythm on.......and it's out if tune.

Ok. I think late deafened people are stupid and douchy...

That's ok to say, you say? ;_ ;) ;) ;)

That winky smiley is really cute.... Never notice before.

Well.....you are almost blind I suppose that's be how you missed it ;)

Yes I speak snark as well Botts.

Yes, yes you may. It won't even get me mad :D it shows how prejudiced you are, but if you don't mind people knowing you are have at it woman :D

It really mean if you understand the white man's perspective.

With the native way of saying, Walk a mile in your moccasins which mean you have to understand the native perspective. It is all about perspective. I may not understand that much about the white man's perspective. I also know a lot about d/deaf perspective. :cool2:

No. No that's not what it means, it could. But it doesn't refer strictly to white men, it refers to ANYONE that is in a different position than you.

indeed, race aside..we all have feet, different sandles, and snow shoes, diver bills, heels. robotic ones now and so on..
(lights smoke, sips drink, leans back.......exhales)
It could be signed a few ways. A wise pharaoh of old, way back. Before the beef with moses and the red sea splitting due to a headache. when shoes had wee tips on the end to make you laugh, this pharaoh was the first to coin the now famous macason proverb. his name was king tut who said some thing like "tut kutut ku ku tut ku tuk kuttuk too to" which meant "if on another mans beach, you never know him until you walk in his footprints always remember this when you walk like an egyptian".
then the hearing world cut his tongue out and killed the boy. many millinia later in time sandles and moccasins and snow shoes ect ect nigh heels ect were added, divers bills, those swamp things,...to this proverb. As was told to me by a wise gypsie, who also read my tarot and sees dead people.....
for what its worth.

Back