anyone here from Winnipeg? audist radio item

jbeer

Reaction score
I heard a story on the radio this afternoon which made me pretty angry. Ok, really angry. It was about a woman who lost her hearing due to her work as a military pilot (noise damage, surprise). She was sent home hard of hearing, retrained to work in a daycare, and then lost her hearing.

So, in the words of the reporter, "of course she couldn't work in childcare anymore, I mean how can she care for the kids if she can't hear them?"

Hello, how many deaf parents on here? How many deaf people with jobs for that matter? What's with the "of course she should get fired for being deaf" crap? Now this woman depends on a food bank. She should have been allowed to continue working. I am so glad my son didn't hear this story. Why go to school if "of course" you can't work?

I've written a couple of angry emails, and I keep thinking, "if this was in Toronto, I would tell Chris and Gary and probably one of them would go down there and give her an education." But, I don't know a soul in Winnipeg.

So, anyone feel like teaching someone a thing or two? The reporter's name is Donna Carreiro.

Back