Anyone here an expert on fishkeeping?

Hey everyone,

I am Pro exotic tropial fish breeder. I am still breeding for Discus, Angels, cory catfish, Oscars, Piranhas and others. I have been working with tropical fish for many years. right now I am ownership the shop for almost a year. I was breeding tropical fish since i was a little boy. I was very serious breeding tropical fish I was 22 years old.

For the freshwater tropical fish are very easy to take care.

for the salt water marine fish are very easy take care of them.

Otherwise Do not over crowed in a tank.

the new tank is very fresh, They do not full cycled season yet. The best way is start to do is few fish to let run with water for 6 weeks to build up the filter to have full cycled.

high recommand to use is sponged filter is very important for fish envorment.

if you have any type of filters must have sponge!

any questions i am so happy to answer your questions.

HTH

Duncan

ButterflyGirl said:
Three weeks ago I bought a 10 gallon tank along with 3 fishes. I must say it is really hard with cycling and one of my fishes died this morning :( I was told that the water in my tank will be clear of its cloudiness in a few weeks time but how long will that really take? I have learnt from soneone that a bigger tank is much better and easier than a smaller tank so I am planning to get a 55 or 75 gallon tank soon. Before I go ahead with the bigger tank I want to learn more about how to cycle a tank. Can anyone help me? I'd appreciate it so much :ty:

you need to cut down to feed them, you need to do 25 % w/c once a week.

did you put cycle in your 10 gallon tank? I want you give me more information what you did to do with a 10 gallon tank?

HTH

Duncan

ButterflyGirl said:
Thank you, Sherry, for your reply :)
The guy at the pet store told me to put in some water conditioner whenever I used my tap water. He also told me to take out 10 to 20 percent water only if the water starts to stink. Maybe I should use water from the store besides tap water? I only feed the fishes once a day and I recently changed the sponge filter. I am curious, how long was it before the water in your tank cleared up?

NO NO NO NO NO dont change sponge filter. you can wash the sponge filter by your tank water in the pail to wash it then put the sponge fiter to back. If you not satisfacation wtih the sponge filter, you can get a new one to leave it for 6 week. The old one throw out. the new one to leave run for good last long.

HTH

Duncan

ButterflyGirl said:
Right now I have 2 African cichlids. I like the South American ones which are more beautiful and I hope to get some one day after I learn all about the fishkeeping :)

Today I went and bought a test kit to test the water. The ammonia in the water was pretty high and I just did a 25 percent water change. The people at the pet store that I went to seem don't know much about fishes. That's why I am posting in here to ask for advices and suggestions.

If the ammonia is too high, I would to do largest water change at 90% to fill up new water. My personal is aging water for my water change is the best bet and cheaper cost. If you dont have an extra tank, you can use prime for chlordie, chlordine, amaonia , nitrate remove is the best bet. One ml per 10 gallon. 5 ml per 50 gallon

hth
Duncan

DoofusMama said:
I read all the posts..

myself have experienced with fishes but they are Koi(s).. (japanese goldfishes).. they do get dirty and hog... even they grow BIG..
we have hard water.. I had to leave 30 gal out from tap water and leave it out for 24 hours with container and aniomia treatments..

then they will be fine.. WHATS more.. just be sure, dont let the sun direct to the tank, it caused cloudy..

And.. dont changing.. water yet.. cuz you have container and aniomia treatments are working .. it takes up to a week.. but follow the directions, a drop for per gal.. means you need 10 drops for 10 gal.. .. something like that..

wish you the best..

I was breeding for japanese Koi, They can grow up to 36 " long ( 3 feet long)

you need to get a big filter helps to clean your tank.

WHATS more.. just be sure, dont let the sun direct to the tank, it caused cloudy.. do you mean the water turn to green? If yes. Yes that s correct but it does not hurt fish!

Duncan

Duncan said:
you need to cut down to feed them, you need to do 25 % w/c once a week.

did you put cycle in your 10 gallon tank? I want you give me more information what you did to do with a 10 gallon tank?

HTH

Duncan
Thank you so much for taking your time to help me out :)

Yes I am cycling my 10 gallon tank. This week will be 3 weeks. I have 2 African cichlids in it right now. I had a small catfish but it died yesterday :tears:
I bought a test kit today and the ammonia was at 8 ppm. That is high, right?
How often should I feed the fishes?

Duncan said:
NO NO NO NO NO dont change sponge filter. you can wash the sponge filter by your tank water in the pail to wash it then put the sponge fiter to back. If you not satisfacation wtih the sponge filter, you can get a new one to leave it for 6 week. The old one throw out. the new one to leave run for good last long.

HTH

Duncan
Ohhhhh it is too late now. I already changed the filter :aw:
From now on I will do what you say.

Duncan said:
If the ammonia is too high, I would to do largest water change at 90% to fill up new water. My personal is aging water for my water change is the best bet and cheaper cost. If you dont have an extra tank, you can use prime for chlordie, chlordine, amaonia , nitrate remove is the best bet. One ml per 10 gallon. 5 ml per 50 gallon

hth
Duncan
What is aging water?
What is prime?

DoofusMama said:
I read all the posts..

myself have experienced with fishes but they are Koi(s).. (japanese goldfishes).. they do get dirty and hog... even they grow BIG..
we have hard water.. I had to leave 30 gal out from tap water and leave it out for 24 hours with container and aniomia treatments..

then they will be fine.. WHATS more.. just be sure, dont let the sun direct to the tank, it caused cloudy..

And.. dont changing.. water yet.. cuz you have container and aniomia treatments are working .. it takes up to a week.. but follow the directions, a drop for per gal.. means you need 10 drops for 10 gal.. .. something like that..

wish you the best..
Thanks.

I like koi. They are such beautiful fishes.
Do you have your fishes in a tank or in a pond?

My grandmother have fishes of goldfish in the pond outside for summer and in winter bring them inside in the fish tank. Right now she dont have anymore fish which I dont know why no more fish as I think she have no time to feed them so give away.

The reason why fish die is caused by shock and stress. They have to be in temperature range when you change the water...about 20-25 percent of the water in the tank. Never buy fish the same time you get a new fish tank, you need to wait for a week or more for the water to become "old" with the filter running in a bare tank then you can get new fish. Also be sure to put in some water conditioner chemicals in the tap water BEFORE putting in the fish tank. I change the 20 percent of the water every week or so and change the aquarium filter once a week or two, depending how dirty it is. I recommend sticking with the 10 gallon tank for a while UNTIL you get a better idea how to take care of your fish instead of wasting your money on a 55 gallon tank...those are good for advanced fish keepers in general. IF your fish lives for a pretty good while...maybe at least 6 months to a year, then you will feel comfortable and get used to how to take care of them then you can go with a bigger fish tank once the fish gets bigger and needs more room, basically.

I have 2 tiger barbs, 2 cheap feeder goldfish, baby algae eater and spotted dojo loach...they are doing just fine. I will be going to get a bigger fish tank later on when they get big enough. I've had them for at least 2 months, I think. You learn them from mistakes not from advices....that's how you build up skills.

Please don't overfeed your fish. Feed them with a pinch of fish food with less than 2 times a day....mornings and evenings. Also, be sure to monitor the water temperature....the higher the water temperature, the more the fish will suffocate because the warmer the water is, the less oxgen concentrated in the water decreases and they die from lack of oxygen in the water. It has to be between 72 to 80 degrees.

ButterflyGirl said:
Thank you so much for taking your time to help me out :)

Yes I am cycling my 10 gallon tank. This week will be 3 weeks. I have 2 African cichlids in it right now. I had a small catfish but it died yesterday :tears:
I bought a test kit today and the ammonia was at 8 ppm. That is high, right?
How often should I feed the fishes?

Hi Butterflygirl,

you are always welcome.

I am sorry about lose your catfish. I want to know what kind of catfish? Well The african cichlids are very tough fish and easy to take care but they are very aggressive. Okay there is too many diffrent kind of test kits, you need to give me more speicify test for ammonia. I believe 8 ppm is pretty high, you need to get zero mean is safe water. Okay you need to feed them 2 x a day with small amount of food. DOES NOT OVER FEED!. If you over feed them the water become poulation cause ammonia, nitrIte, nitAte, etc go high to kill your fish.

The best 2 ways are safe you can choisce.

One way is a few fish in your 10 gallon tank feed them small food, Do not add any fish. till for 6 weeks.

2 ways is you can buy a bottle of Cycle made by hagen, you can read the bottle says you can do that. the cycle control your fish to save and wont die and you can add more fish anytime you want.

HTH

Duncan

What is aging water? a set up a tank or something that holding water, you can put airstone and heater let water run for 24 hours age,when your tank want to do w/c then full up water from the aging water.
What is prime? the prime is made by seachem use for water condictior that remove for ammonia, nitrate, etc.

you can look at internet click here

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Prime.html

HTH

Duncan.

ButterflyGirl said:
Thanks.

I like koi. They are such beautiful fishes.
Do you have your fishes in a tank or in a pond?

you are always welcome

Okay, for the koi are beauitful fish yes they are so amazing. they can go with a big tank or in a pond.

Rule for the koi 5 inches koi per 10 gallon. 20 inches koi per 40 gallon. The messure for koi, from mouth to fork tail.

3 x 5 inches koi = 30 gallon.

HTH

Duncan

sequoias said:
The reason why fish die is caused by shock and stress. They have to be in temperature range when you change the water...about 20-25 percent of the water in the tank. Never buy fish the same time you get a new fish tank, you need to wait for a week or more for the water to become "old" with the filter running in a bare tank then you can get new fish. Also be sure to put in some water conditioner chemicals in the tap water BEFORE putting in the fish tank. I change the 20 percent of the water every week or so and change the aquarium filter once a week or two, depending how dirty it is. I recommend sticking with the 10 gallon tank for a while UNTIL you get a better idea how to take care of your fish instead of wasting your money on a 55 gallon tank...those are good for advanced fish keepers in general. IF your fish lives for a pretty good while...maybe at least 6 months to a year, then you will feel comfortable and get used to how to take care of them then you can go with a bigger fish tank once the fish gets bigger and needs more room, basically.

I have 2 tiger barbs, 2 cheap feeder goldfish, baby algae eater and spotted dojo loach...they are doing just fine. I will be going to get a bigger fish tank later on when they get big enough. I've had them for at least 2 months, I think. You learn them from mistakes not from advices....that's how you build up skills.

Please don't overfeed your fish. Feed them with a pinch of fish food with less than 2 times a day....mornings and evenings. Also, be sure to monitor the water temperature....the higher the water temperature, the more the fish will suffocate because the warmer the water is, the less oxgen concentrated in the water decreases and they die from lack of oxygen in the water. It has to be between 72 to 80 degrees.
I wish that I had asked around in here about fishes before I went ahead with buying a tank and fishes. The guy at the pet store should have told me. I guess he was hungry for some money.

Yes I will wait until later on before I buy a bigger tank. I will come back to ask you guys again for advices before I buy the bigger tank :)

How many gallons tank do you have?

By the way. thanks for your help!

ButterflyGirl said:
I wish that I had asked around in here about fishes before I went ahead with buying a tank and fishes. The guy at the pet store should have told me. I guess he was hungry for some money.

Yes I will wait until later on before I buy a bigger tank. I will come back to ask you guys again for advices before I buy the bigger tank :)

How many gallons tank do you have?

By the way. thanks for your help!

Yeppers, many pet stores are hungry for money. Sometimes they don't give you good advices, so I end up getting information from the manuals, online web sites, from friends, etc.

Best luck with your fish keeping! They require lot of patience, and it will pay off when you get a better idea. It's not so hard. :)

I have a 10 gallon tank right now. The fish are pretty small. They aren't showing signs of stress or anything. They seem happy and frisky.

Duncan said:
Hi Butterflygirl,

you are always welcome.

I am sorry about lose your catfish. I want to know what kind of catfish? Well The african cichlids are very tough fish and easy to take care but they are very aggressive. Okay there is too many diffrent kind of test kits, you need to give me more speicify test for ammonia. I believe 8 ppm is pretty high, you need to get zero mean is safe water. Okay you need to feed them 2 x a day with small amount of food. DOES NOT OVER FEED!. If you over feed them the water become poulation cause ammonia, nitrIte, nitAte, etc go high to kill your fish.

The best 2 ways are safe you can choisce.

One way is a few fish in your 10 gallon tank feed them small food, Do not add any fish. till for 6 weeks.

2 ways is you can buy a bottle of Cycle made by hagen, you can read the bottle says you can do that. the cycle control your fish to save and wont die and you can add more fish anytime you want.

HTH

Duncan
The catfish was a Colombian shark. Yes my cichlids are a bit aggressive lol.

The test kit I have is in this link http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...1149201208059&itemNo=2&In=Fish&N=2030068&Ne=2

sequoias said:

I agreed with you. But depend on what kind of fish need to requare high or low temp, PH, hardness, ETC.

you know that I have more than 100 babies angelfish in a 10 gallon tank is not a problem, They are finger nails ;) because i am PRO breeder ;)

anyways we have more than 3000 babies angelfish in my stock right now. also we have more than 400 babies discus. we have more than 300 babies african cichlids they are sunrise yellow peacocks F-1, Flameback tail peacock F-1, Flameback Lake Victoria cichlids F-2, red fin cobalt zebra F-3. also we have about 10 Albino Flameback tail F-1 are not for sale, They are new strain I have them in a Canada. My good frined have albino flameback tail are awesome and amazing beauitful fish. I will ask my friend to borrow a picture of it i will post it up later.

Duncan

Duncan said:
I agreed with you. But depend on what kind of fish need to requare high or low temp, PH, hardness, ETC.

you know that I have more than 100 babies angelfish in a 10 gallon tank is not a problem, They are finger nails ;) because i am PRO breeder ;)

anyways we have more than 3000 babies angelfish in my stock right now. also we have more than 400 babies discus. we have more than 300 babies african cichlids they are sunrise yellow peacocks F-1, Flameback tail peacock F-1, Flameback Lake Victoria cichlids F-2, red fin cobalt zebra F-3. also we have about 10 Albino Flameback tail F-1 are not for sale, They are new strain I have them in a Canada. My good frined have albino flameback tail are awesome and amazing beauitful fish. I will ask my friend to borrow a picture of it i will post it up later.

Duncan

I would love to see a website or something about your fishkeeping hobby, it's the first time I've heard a member from Alldeaf who does breed fish for a living or something.

My parents had turqoise discus and some of them lived for 4 years. They are very fussy fish because they aren't hardy to the water conditions they live in, even tho they can survive in very warm water temperatures.

Hey you guys I am going to bed now but I will be back tomorrow to check. Again thank you all :)

Back