Anyone heard of New Retro X Implantable Hearing Aids? (NOT C.I.'s)

stuntchic

Reaction score
Just a question - I ws wondering if anyone had heard of these , and if they thought they were any good?

What do you think??

Implantable hearing aid: a new choice

A Sydney man is the first Australian to receive a revolutionary hearing aid system known as The Retro-X. The system, which is implanted, delivers sounds without blocking the ear canal and is sure to suit thousands of people who find some of the old devices cumbersome.

"It does block the whole of the ear canal and in some patients that predisposes to outer ear infection," said Dr Phil Chang, St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney.

Now, for the first time in Australia there's a totally new choice. Not to be confused with a cochlear implant, this technology involves a titanium tube, which is surgically inserted in the skin crease behind the ear to connect, out of sight, into the front ear canal.

A patient simply attaches a tiny amplifier to the tube at the start of the day and sound is transmitted directly into the hearing canal without blocking the front of the ear.

"I would have to say this represents the biggest advance in hearing aid technology in more than a decade," said Dr Chang.

The half-hour procedure can be done under local anaesthetic."

Web link:
ww.gyrus-ent.com

Source: National Nine News, Sydney, Australia

I bet all the people with CIs are going to wish they had waited a bit longer! :roll:

^ lol that's awesome! Is there a pic of this Retro-X thing? I'd love to see one so i can get a better idea of what it is exactly.

Breezy said:
Is there a pic of this Retro-X thing? I'd love to see one so i can get a better idea of what it is exactly.

It looks sick, like out of the Matrix or something!! :smoking: check out the rollover pic at this address:

http://www.auricusa.com/gyrus/

or I'll try to attach one.

Attachments

• retrox_out.gif
    retrox_out.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 100
and with the ear peice - i just dont know how you would hear anything with it...

Attachments

• retrpo-X2.jpg
    retrpo-X2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 100
instering... but.. amen to that! i prefer wait few years to see if it accually works before tring it.. seems like they put device to track you where you're going or so.. just like an sciencist put a device on animal to track where they went etc..

EDIT: however.. i look over the website.. seems that it doesn't work for everyone.. seems it only works for people who have high freq. hearing loss...
and seems that it won't work for serve to profound hearing loss

Last edited:
DeafSCUBA98 said:
instering... but.. amen to that! i prefer wait few years to see if it accually works before tring it.. seems like they put device to track you where you're going or so.. just like an sciencist put a device on animal to track where they went etc..

EDIT: however.. i look over the website.. seems that it doesn't work for everyone.. seems it only works for people who have high freq. hearing loss...
and seems that it won't work for serve to profound hearing loss

Totally - it might be just a cosmetic thingy for people who dont want to look deaf - stoopid old people.

An i agree, we could be bein tracked - they'll know our every move and use radio waves and satellittes to control our behaviour....

We'll become the walking zombies that the government has always wanted!!!

Anyway, i agree wid you, the more you wait, the more technology comes out.

I'll be waitin til Im 100.

or dead! :angel:

OMG! The Matrix is coming to life! Run for your lives!

and is sure to suit thousands of people who find some of the old devices cumbersome.
Don't you just LOVE how the media makes it sound like it's so horrible to wear a hearing aid? They make it sound like we're still wearing body aids! Besides the tiny aids are annoying......I have a tiny aid and it's always falling out!

I disagree with that kind of device. Because once the hearing loss going down and end up to get cochlear implant. Its made no different this but my question is bother me is.. will that water going into that ear? Boy, it will going all over dicussing this one just like cochlear implant. Umm I rather cochlear implant.. end of dicuss :p

:lol: It looks like we become Matrix to fight with bad people from the movie. Put the wire into our ears.

The technology is pathetic !

ideafspy said:
but my question is bother me is.. will that water going into that ear? :p

Yeh, did they think of that??? When you go swimming, how do you get the water out - do you have to go to a Doctor to get it cleaned??
Ew, could you imagine how gross that would be?

And it would proabably hurt to sleep on too.

And plus, yr kids would think you are an alien. :eek:

deafdyke said:
Don't you just LOVE how the media makes it sound like it's so horrible to wear a hearing aid? They make it sound like we're still wearing body aids!!

:laugh2: i hear ya deaf dyke, i hear ya. (that was meant to be a pun)

stuntchic said:
Yeh, did they think of that??? When you go swimming, how do you get the water out - do you have to go to a Doctor to get it cleaned??
Ew, could you imagine how gross that would be?

And it would proabably hurt to sleep on too.

And plus, yr kids would think you are an alien. :eek:
Actually, the kids would probably think that it's awesome. If they ask, simply tell them that you're in the process of joining the Matrix. That will bring excitement for them! Heh!

cool a matrix hearing aid! What??? I hear... 0011010110011100011100001111

Seriously, my hearing aid is already matrixed. When the battery power gets too low, my hearing aid goes beep... beep... beep... (voices) beep... beep.... beep... (voices)

Tekkmortal is The Chosen One

tekkmortal said:
cool a matrix hearing aid! What??? I hear... 0011010110011100011100001111

Seriously, my hearing aid is already matrixed. When the battery power gets too low, my hearing aid goes beep... beep... beep... (voices) beep... beep.... beep... (voices)

*booms in deep voice* tekkmortal, do you wish to see the truth? you must heed the voices! do what they tell you! You Are The Chosen One!!!!!

Without technology there would be no dialysis machines for people with kidney failure. No iron lungs for people who cannot breathe on their own. No cat-scans, heart/lung/liver/kidney transplants. Without technology premature babies would die, and there would be no in-vitro fertilization available for people who can't have children on their own. Without technology there would be no future for people with cancer, aids, MS or any number of diseases..because it is TECHNOLOGY that helps find cures for these diseases!!!

Is Deaf diseases ???
fie1.gif

The innocent adorable Deaf
baby2.gif
babies born on this planet Earth. He or she did not ask for bionic in their little cute heads. Why would the medical technology destroy their physically and mentally with metal stuck on their heads? Plug wires into their ears to running the programmer just like the movie “Matrix”.

Why would the pathetic medical technology destroy the natural and innocent Deaf Children? Their visual become curious expose by sign language with facial expressional because it is their own language. They did not ask for to learn how to speak like a monkey voice like I do.

Medical doctors would love to wait and see until the baby born with audiologist test to see if they are Deaf. The doctor would approach the parents. I am so sorry to tell you a bad news. Ummmm… Your baby is Deaf. I would be glad to give you all the brochure information about surgery on their little cute head to get metal inside in your adorable and innocent Deaf baby. He or she will learn how to speak as a monkey. The doctors pat on the Parent’s shoulders.

The parents were cried
bawling.gif
and confused
blue1confused.gif
. They were very difficult to make the decision because the doctors were pressure on them. Dr wants the $$$$$$$$$$$$. Doctors are pathetic. They have no idea how beautiful sign language is. Many Deaf younger children are successful in their academic. They get bachelor degrees nowadays! Deaf people are NOT mental retarded. We just can’t hear and speak.

mgno.gif
Deaf Children did not ask for medical technology as they born such a good HEALTHY ! Deaf is N-O-T diseases !

If you born with one toe. Your parents are not acceptable for who you are. Your parents take you to the operation room to put new four METAL toes on you. You did not ask for it. Put the wires into your foot to programmer to help your four new toes to move and tickle better. It helps you giggle better.
teeth.gif

headscratch.gif
Think about it !

What?? I can't understand you! Hearing child
say_question.gif
loki16.gif
say_oops.gif
Deaf child with implant Hee hee mubbing voice I am sorry, I can't speak well.

My two hearing sons heard the Deaf children who have cochlear implants. Their voice as Deaf people's voice. They have their cochlears for five years.

Cochlear implants do not work for the Deaf children. They always to be Deaf !
icon_welcome.gif
Welcome to the Deaf Community!

I guess we have a long way to go with technology, because the retro X, whilst being fairly clever, is still not going to help the majority of the people who want to be able to hear a little better.

I just want to note what Sweet KJ mentioned in another thread re C.I.s. You are still deaf, not matter what sort of implant you have, whether it be Retro X, or C.I.

You cant hear when you turn the processor off, or take of the aid. You are deaf in the shower, deaf while swimming, deaf when sleeping at night.

So, you still retain that wonderful quality that we are all so familiar with, the sound of silence, and the ability to understand others who are like us. ;)

actually this isn't nessarly new. There are bone conduction hearing aids that are like this.....Bone Anchored Hearing aids, that have a titanium abutment for the actual aid to hook on to, and which don't have earmolds. I think it's just new b/c it's for s/n loss.

More likely Matrix and Cyborg... Wonderin' if, they are goin' to make you like Terminator 1, 2 & 3 ? :lol: I don't want me to be one of them. :laugh2:

Back