Anyone have luck with Medically Needy & Hearing Aids?

Hollykins1

Reaction score
I have Medically Needy Medicaid in Florida. I finally hit a month where I've met my Share of Cost as I had to go to the hospital on the 1st of the month.

*Supposedly* it will cover hearing aids. Of course one has to find a provider. My ENT/Audio office is not sure if they do or not. They can't even run my number until the Share of Cost went through, which just showed up on the Florida Access site today.

I'm curious if anyone in Florida has been able to use it and successfully get a hearing aid(s)? Obviously they don't make it easy to use it...

Not to my knowledge....but I do know of one lady who was Medically Needy also, and was able to have all her teeth pulled out and false teeth....However, the Dentist she went to was a "quack"....she can't even wear the false teeth! And she can't get another pair or a fit...the teeth she got were so "big"...and her face is small....so you get the idea!...Sad situation as she's only 50 and has no teeth at all.

Not to my knowledge....but I do know of one lady who was Medically Needy also, and was able to have all her teeth pulled out and false teeth....However, the Dentist she went to was a "quack"....she can't even wear the false teeth! And she can't get another pair or a fit...the teeth she got were so "big"...and her face is small....so you get the idea!...Sad situation as she's only 50 and has no teeth at all.

That's too bad. :( Sounds like that dentist needs to find another line of work. :lol: Can she explain this to Medicaid and have a new set made?

Sorry, Hollykins for not answering your question. Wish I could help but I don't know. Good luck!!!

What is this program? I've never heard of it.

And "ouch" for that poor woman with no teeth! What an awful thing to go through.

But what is "medically needy?" Someone with continuous, chronic health issues that are out of the ordinary?

But what is "medically needy?" Someone with continuous, chronic health issues that are out of the ordinary?

People with disability on the Medicaid program.

I would try Starkey or the Lions if I had no way to buy a hearing aid.

It's part of Medicaid. I am on SSDI but since I make "too much money", I don't get full Medicaid. They call it Medically Needy Medicaid. It has what is known as a Share of Cost - which is usually just under what a person makes each month.

The share of cost can range upwards to thousands of dollars, and what it means is that person must have that much in medical expenses each month before they qualify. Mine is near a thousand dollars each month!

Because I went to the hospital early this month, I have met my share of cost (SOC) so I now am enrolled in Medicaid the rest of the month. (they thought I had a brain infection called Matoiditis so apparently it was expensive...)

I've never used it since I got disability. My neurotologist said it was time to look into hearing aids as my hearing has gone down quite a bit since I was first diagnosed with Meniere's.

Apparently in Florida, hearing aids are covered - BUT the catch 22 is trying to find a provider who takes it!

My own ENT takes Medicaid, but isn't sure if they take SOC/Medically Needy. They'll find out when they run my number.

I did luck out as often when one meets their SOC, it can take almost the government a whole month for them to actually put it in the system. But again...finding someone who will provide the services is another whole ballgame....

And Florida is set to drop most of the benefits of Medicaid early next year due to budget cuts. So if I can get a hearing aid(s) - now is the time. If I can only find a provider...

Wow, interesting. I had not heard of that program. I hope it works out for you and you can find a good hearing aid provider.

I'll let you know. I was just curious if anyone on here had been successful in actually getting a HA with it.

Guess I'll find out this week. I'd prefer my own ENT/Audio as I really like them. Now that I'm "in the system" they'll be able to run my number and find out if they take that type of Medicaid. (they do take Medicaid but there are different types). If they do - then great - I'll luck out most likely as long as their waiting list isn't too long.

If they don't - a whole lot more phone calls to find one within traveling distance.

I have Medically Needy Medicaid in Florida. I finally hit a month where I've met my Share of Cost as I had to go to the hospital on the 1st of the month.

*Supposedly* it will cover hearing aids. Of course one has to find a provider. My ENT/Audio office is not sure if they do or not. They can't even run my number until the Share of Cost went through, which just showed up on the Florida Access site today.

I'm curious if anyone in Florida has been able to use it and successfully get a hearing aid(s)? Obviously they don't make it easy to use it...

I have gotten both of my hearing aids under the Florida Share of cost. Through a local audiologist. I had to wait four two weeks to get pre approved for it. They covered my audiogram, hearing aids and molds and the fitting appointment. As long as the total cost exceed your share of cost in that month. :)

All you have to do is pick up the phone book and start calling different offices, and ask them if they accept share of cost for hearing aids.

Oh thanks Baby Blue! Hopefully they take it. I'm glad someone has been able to use it - it gives me hope.

I did do a lot of calling before and kept hearing "no". There may be one up in Ocala that takes it if mine doesn't.

In my case, I had to meet my SOC FIRST. Since that's only likely to be this month - I'm hoping to get in somewhere fast so it all can approved before the end of the month.

Oh thanks Baby Blue! Hopefully they take it. I'm glad someone has been able to use it - it gives me hope.

I did do a lot of calling before and kept hearing "no". There may be one up in Ocala that takes it if mine doesn't.

In my case, I had to meet my SOC FIRST. Since that's only likely to be this month - I'm hoping to get in somewhere fast so it all can approved before the end of the month.

If the cost of the hearing aids exceeds the share of cost then..The share of cost has been met. Any audiologist that accepts medicaid for hearing aids, accepts SOC. Now some audiologist accepts medicaid/SOC for hearing test but not for Hearing aids. So make sure you specifically ask then if they accept it for hearing aids too.

If your ENT/Audi does indeed accept SOC/Medicaid, tell the person you're setting up an appt with that you need to get in ASAP to take advantage of the SOC you've already met. Hopefully they'll be understanding in squeeze you in.

If the cost of the hearing aids exceeds the share of cost then..The share of cost has been met. Any audiologist that accepts medicaid for hearing aids, accepts SOC. Now some audiologist accepts medicaid/SOC for hearing test but not for Hearing aids. So make sure you specifically ask then if they accept it for hearing aids too.

Actually several I called said they accepted Medicaid for hearing aids, but NOT Medically Needy Medicaid.

However I will keep pursuing. My ENT's office doesn't accept Medicaid for treatment, but their Audiology department does. They aren't sure about Medically Needy, but I'll find out tomorrow hopefully.

I don't doubt what you say - I think it's the offices of audiologists that don't want to deal with it....

If not.. Called the medicaid office number and they can direct or assist you.

Thanks - I will try everything, I think it's time to get help. Here's my last audiogram:

audiogram1.jpg

Back