Anyone from japan???

jdharrawood

Reaction score
Friend of mine went to Japan for a year and came back home.

And the interesting part my friend said that in Japan they don't want to hear a word "why".

If they ask you to do something and they expect you do it not ask for reason "why"

I am wondering why they are against that word "why"

I must use that word so I will know what will happen when I am learning how to operate things.

Oh interesting.. I don't know why they are against the opposite: "adverb", " interjection", "noun", and "conjunction". for instance, japanese men dislike women want to equal with mens' rights. they believed that men should control japanese women under their mens feet to head. well good thing that i ain't born into that country!

my friend USED to lived in Japan, he is white which he had moved there because of military and army or whatsoever.. then they moved back to tx...... he goes same college as i do.. :)

Originally posted by jdharrawood

And the interesting part my friend said that in Japan they don't want to hear a word "why".

If they ask you to do something and they expect you do it not ask for reason "why"

I must use that word so I will know what will happen when I am learning how to operate things.

:shock: I am shocking that Japan don't like the word "why"

Japan are :crazy:

Here is something I found from http://japaninfo.esmartweb.com/FAQ-Primer.html

8. Shikata ga Nai and Gaman - You Can't Fight City Hall

Shikata ga nai means "There's nothing you can do about it", and is often used by Japanese when they face a troubling situation they think they can't change. It is in fact a strong form of brainwashing put on the Japanese from the day they're born to conform and follow orders without question. Again, this fits in with Tate Shakai in that the strong control the weak and the weak exist to serve the strong -- be it the almighty Company, or the Establishment. You will find the Japanese do an enormous amount of complaining about things they can't change (e.g. the weather), but put up and shut up about things they can (e.g. political corruption, unfair treatment by superiors, etc.). At least until they're full of liquor and you see their personality do a 180. By making the underlings feel powerless it is far easier to control them, make them work harder or give "voluntary overtime" (work for free, which is illegal but many companies practice), sacrifice themselves more for the group, etc. In the West this would be seen as sinister, and it can be. But to be objective, it also makes the Japanese tougher competitors in both Japanese and international markets. If ever one falters, or feels he can't take it, he is told to put up with it (gaman). Gaman means to take it or be patient, and again, is a double-edged sword. For Japanese it's a source of great strength. No matter how hard things get, they just keep fighting (ganbaru). This has allowed Japanese to overcome enormously difficult times, including natural disasters as well as a bad economy. But on the negative side, there is also a time to cut your losses and move on -- and Japanese sometimes get blinded to this and fail to see when more fundamental structural changes need to be made.

Interesting...I'm half Japanese, but wasn't raised in Japanese culture at all because I was born in USA -- I did hear about Japanese men being 'above' women and that women had to be in submission mode all the time and walk behind the husband, part of tradition, that's what I heard. I don't really know much about my Japanese culture. :Oops: I should do more research and understand my background.

Baka Folks

GoldenLeaf74 said:
:shock: I am shocking that Japan don't like the word "why"

Japan are :crazy:

:thumbd:

Please don't revel in your cesspool of ignorance.

The Japanese culture is different from the United States in many ways just as well as it is extremely similar. To hold the others in complete disdain because they have a different concept of things is just another form of prejudice coupled with ignorance.

One man's junk is the other man's treasure. :o

Redeem yourself. There are many aspects of the Japanese civilization that is far superior to the U.S.

Japanese folks do question things.

(in Romanji, its spelt Naze or Doshite)

I would've written it in Hiragana but those types of characters would have been completely lost upon narrow-minded folks on this thread. :roll:

They're not robots as some of you folks are making them out to be. They're just like everyone else on this planet, with their own unique sense of identity in which they chose to keep.

It's a matter of priority on each of the individuals that live in Nihon (or Nippon) to determine how much information they feel that they are entitled to.

As for women's right, it's so painful apparent that you guys know absolutely nothing about the ideological difference that lies within the Japanese culture as compared to the United State's warped version of how women should be branded as.

Again, please don't make a sweeping generalization about a culture that apparently none of you know anything about. :nono:

Praise Umanita

~Al-Khawarizmi

AL-KHAWARIZMI said:
:thumbd:

Please don't revel in your cesspool of ignorance.

The Japanese culture is different from the United States in many ways just as well as it is extremely similar. To hold the others in complete disdain because they have a different concept of things is just another form of prejudice coupled with ignorance.

Redeem yourself. There are many aspects of the Japanese civilization that is far superior to the U.S.

Japanese folks do question things.

(in Romanji, its spelt Naze or Doshite)

I would've written it in Hiragana but those types of characters would have been completely lost upon narrow-minded folks on this thread. :roll:

As for women's right, it's so painful apparent that you guys know absolutely nothing about the ideological difference that lies within the Japanese culture as compared to the United State's warped version of how women should be branded as.

Again, please don't make a sweeping generalization about a culture that apparently none of you know anything about. :nono:

Praise Umanita

~Al-Khawarizmi

Then educate us. There is no need for you to ridicule other people, instead you might as well use this opportunity to correct the information. Your belittlement isn't going to gain you respect so redeem yourself by dismissing your ego. :roll:

I do know a fair bit about Japanese culture... but not much really, what I do know is that women are expected to do the housework, they are not expected to have ambitions unlike men and for years, Japanese women were forced to wear tight shoes to make sure their feet don't grow properly so they would be beautiful.

This practice gradually stopped and Japanese women don't need this. Japanese women were also concubines or slaves to men. Japanese men were above women in social stature. However, the culture is slowly changing, and women's achievements are slowly being recognised as important as what men have achieved as well.

jdharrawood said:

From what you're saying, the question you should be asking is "how".

I must use that word so I will know what will happen when I am learning HOW to operate things.

Also, if you look at it from a different point of view... saying "Why?" is sort of like finding an excuse to not do it or being nosey.

VamPyroX said:
From what you're saying, the question you should be asking is "how".

I must use that word so I will know what will happen when I am learning HOW to operate things.

Also, if you look at it from a different point of view... saying "Why?" is sort of like finding an excuse to not do it or being nosey.

I agree with Vamp... I was about to say the exact same thing -- "Why" is sort of whiny, and I'm not surprised if anyone doesn't like that.

"How" is more acceptable... it shows that you want to do it, and whoever gives you the assignment may explain further.

Back