Anyone from Houston, TX around here?

sabasushi2

Somewhere in Houston, TX
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey....I'm wondering if there are anyone here living in Houston, TX? I'd like to meet other deaf people in Houston.

A bit about myself....I'm 42, and deaf since birth (from Usher's Syndrome). I grew up in Tulsa, OK and Jefferson County, Colorado. I went to NTID/RIT (SVP 83) but ended up gradudating from Colorado State University with a BS in Computer Science. After living in Colorado for 30 years, my husband and I got sick of snow, dry climiate and yellow lands (NOTHING grows in Colorado except prarie grass, sunflowers and weeds, LOTS of weeds) and decided to move to Houston. So here we are....but there's a little problem: we don't know many people in Houston. Since we work at home, we don't get to meet many people (you don't realize how much socializing you get from work until you start working for yourself at home) and would like to meet some people.

My husband is hearing but can sign some. We have no kids (unless you count ones that wear fur suits and use litter boxes...then we got 3 of 'em :) ) Our interests....let's see: we love food (both eating out and cooking), books, TV shows like "Top Chef", "Project Runaway", "Heroes" and "Battlestar Galactica", beaches, New Orleans, et cetera. He's also really into music (well, he *is* a hearie, ya know?). I do jewelry making, puzzles, postcard collecting.

welcome here to alldeaf . Nope, I'm not from Texas, instead I'm in a state full of tall coniferous trees in Seattle metro area. :)

you can start and meet deaf at bar club called Deaf Professional Happy Hour in Houston

DPHH - Deaf Professional Happy Hour of Houston

I went there twice so far, great amount deaf people show up. Age range 21-50. And no, I don't live there. ha.

Heh...yeah, I've tried submitting my email address to their mailing list, but it seems like they NEVER send out newsletters, and I keep forgetting to check their website. :)

But I'm a little nervous about meeting total strangers "cold turkey" and would like to get acquainted via email, forum, IM or whatever first.

Heh...yeah, I've tried submitting my email address to their mailing list, but it seems like they NEVER send out newsletters, and I keep forgetting to check their website. :)

But I'm a little nervous about meeting total strangers "cold turkey" and would like to get acquainted via email, forum, IM or whatever first.

ah. sorry. they always have last minutes like 5 to 1 days before event start.

Welcome to AD. I grew up and graduated from a terp program in San Antonio. Spent four years in Longmont, CO back in the 90's. I'll take a foot of snow over 100 degree weeks. Houston is on the coast, so you get the humidity too. :-D

Here's a link to terp programs in Texas. The programs in Houston may have events that you and hubby can go to.

DARS - DHHS Listing of Interpreter Training Programs

Hey....I'm wondering if there are anyone here living in Houston, TX? I'd like to meet other deaf people in Houston.

A bit about myself....I'm 42, and deaf since birth (from Usher's Syndrome). I grew up in Tulsa, OK and Jefferson County, Colorado. I went to NTID/RIT (SVP 83) but ended up gradudating from Colorado State University with a BS in Computer Science. After living in Colorado for 30 years, my husband and I got sick of snow, dry climiate and yellow lands (NOTHING grows in Colorado except prarie grass, sunflowers and weeds, LOTS of weeds) and decided to move to Houston. So here we are....but there's a little problem: we don't know many people in Houston. Since we work at home, we don't get to meet many people (you don't realize how much socializing you get from work until you start working for yourself at home) and would like to meet some people.

My husband is hearing but can sign some. We have no kids (unless you count ones that wear fur suits and use litter boxes...then we got 3 of 'em :) ) Our interests....let's see: we love food (both eating out and cooking), books, TV shows like "Top Chef", "Project Runaway", "Heroes" and "Battlestar Galactica", beaches, New Orleans, et cetera. He's also really into music (well, he *is* a hearie, ya know?). I do jewelry making, puzzles, postcard collecting.

hello welcome im from north houston tx was move here last jan 2 i know few friend in houston im married and 2 boys nice meet u smile

Welcome to AD. I grew up and graduated from a terp program in San Antonio. Spent four years in Longmont, CO back in the 90's. I'll take a foot of snow over 100 degree weeks. Houston is on the coast, so you get the humidity too. :-D

Here's a link to terp programs in Texas. The programs in Houston may have events that you and hubby can go to.

DARS - DHHS Listing of Interpreter Training Programs

Thanks for the link.

heh...obviously, you and I have opposite tastes in climates. I don't mind humidity (though it *does* get a little too humid at times) but I have a big problem with dry climates, which is partly why I left Colorado.

Hello :):) My deaf cousin live near Dallas! :)

How long drive to houston? ;)

Back