Anyone ever stared down a F-5 Tornado?

gmcman1996

Reaction score
I have stared down a F-5 Tornado, here in Huntsville, on November 16, 1989, standing next to my car, only 200 yards, from the F-5 tornado, Sure, I could have been killed.. being that damn close... but God had me covered that day, but F-5 tornado, is anywhere from 3/4 to1 1/2 mile wide, and can bring winds up from 190-300 mph winds.. Very damn deadly... but anyone here, that has stared down a F-5 tornado, from close range... without getting killed or hurt?..

I did that once in 1989, and still would challenge another F-5 tornado again! Only thing is you gotta be in the right damn spot, or you are history... Well I was in the right place, at the right time... and the car shielded me from the brunt of the tornado.. from 200 yards... but would caution you guys/gals not to do the same unless you have prior experience dealing with F-5 tornadoes...:Owned::cool2:

The movie Twister is a fluke - such as these actors was trying to override the F5

The movie Twister is a fluke - such as these actors was trying to override the F5

Twister is nothing compared to what I dealt with... Twister is 100% bullshit, It's a movie... but in real life, for me... OH HELL YEAH.. one experience I will never EVER FORGET!

Now that settles the Twister shit here... I was there, You weren't !!

I have stared down a F-5 Tornado, here in Huntsville, on November 16, 1989, standing next to my car, only 200 yards, from the F-5 tornado, Sure, I could have been killed.. being that damn close... but God had me covered that day, but F-5 tornado, is anywhere from 3/4 to1 1/2 mile wide, and can bring winds up from 190-300 mph winds.. Very damn deadly... but anyone here, that has stared down a F-5 tornado, from close range... without getting killed or hurt?..

I did that once in 1989, and still would challenge another F-5 tornado again! Only thing is you gotta be in the right damn spot, or you are history... Well I was in the right place, at the right time... and the car shielded me from the brunt of the tornado.. from 200 yards... but would caution you guys/gals not to do the same unless you have prior experience dealing with F-5 tornadoes...:Owned::cool2:

I checked the source and it said it was F-4 that hit Hunstville, Al On November 15, 1989.

On November 15, 1989, Huntsville, AL was struck by an F4.

The Forgotten F5: The Lawrence County Supercell during the Middle Tennessee Tornado Outbreak of April 16, 1998

The Huntsville Tornado: November 15, 1989
National Weather Service Huntsville, AL - 1989 Huntsville Tornado

I like to add that they dont do the Fujita scale anymore as they changed it to Enchaned Fujita scale due to more higher damages and high wind speeds? hence why they revisied the Fujita scale. so its now Enchanced Fujita. EF .

Storm Prediction Center Enhanced Fujita Scale (EF Scale)

I never see EF-5 before in my life. I wanted to see one.. maybe one day... :D

I checked the source and it said it was F-4 that hit Hunstville, Al On November 15, 1989.

On November 15, 1989, Huntsville, AL was struck by an F4.

The Forgotten F5: The Lawrence County Supercell during the Middle Tennessee Tornado Outbreak of April 16, 1998

The Huntsville Tornado: November 15, 1989
National Weather Service Huntsville, AL - 1989 Huntsville Tornado

I never see F-5 before in my life. I wanted to see one.. maybe one day... :D

You wouldn't happen to be living in Huntsville?... If that is a yes.. Damn.. We need to chat.. about this tornado.. but from my own eyes.. it was a massive son of a gun tornado... and from Channel 31 helicopter news footage the next day after it hit, showed how damn wide the sucker was!.....

You wouldn't happen to be living in Huntsville?... If that is a yes.. Damn.. We need to chat.. about this tornado.. but from my own eyes.. it was a massive son of a gun tornado... and from Channel 31 helicopter news footage the next day after it hit, showed how damn wide the sucker was!.....

Nope I dont live there, sorry. I live in Arkansas.. I was looking for information and pictures as I was curious. Wow indeed lot of damages. More informations on the link I provided in my previous post.

I just went thru 4 tornadoes this year in same county (Conway County) less than 5 months! 1 was EF4 that hit on Feb 5th and another one was EF3 on May 2nd. both times freaked me out cuz my son was not with me as he was in the path of the tornado.

Nope I dont live there, sorry. I live in Arkansas.. I was looking for information and pictures as I was curious. Wow indeed lot of damages. More informations on the link I provided in my previous post.

I just went thru 4 tornadoes this year in same county (Conway County) less than 5 months! 1 was EF4 that hit on Feb 5th and another one was EF3 on May 2nd. both times freaked me out cuz my son was not with me as he was in the path of the tornado.

Ouch... sure 'nough to freak you out for a while, I am sure.. but not for me! I just take it head on... and then move on.. Just had a F-1 tornado go south of me Saturday night,... around 10:30pm... but hell, I was working on my truck, in the garage.. and heard the tornado siren go off... (Oh it is damn loud! and just up the hill to the west of me...and my house.. ) I can hear pretty good, with my hearing aid, (without it, then I am just deaf as hell and can't hear for shit..) and over the years, I have had ALL my radios dialed into WTAK Classic Rock 106.1 Huntsville-Decatur-Athens Alabama area, and they give good exact locations of tornadoes... so this time.. just 3/4 mile south of my hiney... but I just growled.. and flipped the bird, towards the south, and kept on working on my truck... As long as the tornado ain't lined up to tear up my house.. then I am cool... but nah... never gonna happen.. cuz there's a big mountain sitting right to my west- southwest...of my house.. so guess the bastard ain't gonna even go there... Tornadoes love flat land... You know that! :scatter:

Ouch... sure 'nough to freak you out for a while, I am sure.. but not for me! I just take it head on... and then move on.. Just had a F-1 tornado go south of me Saturday night,... around 10:30pm... but hell, I was working on my truck, in the garage.. and heard the tornado siren go off... (Oh it is damn loud! and just up the hill to the west of me...and my house.. ) I can hear pretty good, with my hearing aid, (without it, then I am just deaf as hell and can't hear for shit..) and over the years, I have had ALL my radios dialed into WTAK Classic Rock 106.1 Huntsville-Decatur-Athens Alabama area, and they give good exact locations of tornadoes... so this time.. just 3/4 mile south of my hiney... but I just growled.. and flipped the bird, towards the south, and kept on working on my truck... As long as the tornado ain't lined up to tear up my house.. then I am cool... but nah... never gonna happen.. cuz there's a big mountain sitting right to my west- southwest...of my house.. so guess the bastard ain't gonna even go there... Tornadoes love flat land... You know that! :scatter:

no believe it or not. tornado can go over hill or mountain and caused damages. my old house is up in the foothill of Ozark Mountain. ok... my old house is right on the hill and the tornado came down and caused damages to the roof? so tell me how?? tornado will come anywhere.. my best friends husband's stepdad died last Feb 5th tornado. His trailer was on hill and tornado just blew the trailer apart ... stepdad and fiance were both thrown out in the pasture.. killing the stepdad but fiance alive.. but still in hospital and will fix to go home this week. she will need therapy for long time. broken back, broken legs and etc. she did had brain injuries but is much better now. shes very lucky..

Tornado did come down in mountain in Wyoming and caused damages. 7,000 feet high?? so it can hit anywhere.... but it will thrive on flat land better and will caused more damages .

no believe it or not. tornado can go over hill or mountain and caused damages. my old house is up in the foothill of Ozark Mountain. ok... my old house is right on the hill and the tornado came down and caused damages to the roof? so tell me how?? tornado will come anywhere.. my best friends husband's stepdad died last Feb 5th tornado. His trailer was on hill and tornado just blew the trailer apart ... stepdad and fiance were both thrown out in the pasture.. killing the stepdad but fiance alive.. but still in hospital and will fix to go home this week. she will need therapy for long time. broken back, broken legs and etc. she did had brain injuries but is much better now. shes very lucky..

Tornado did come down in mountain in Wyoming and caused damages. 7,000 feet high?? so it can hit anywhere.... but it will thrive on flat land better and will caused more damages .

Oh shit... Not what I had in mind.. But thanks for the reminder... Yeah.. I used to go to the Ozark Mountains... There was this store, where I bought a slingshot.. and damn it... I fired, only to blow my thumbnail right dadgum clean off... Oh I remember the damn pain I had to endure sitting in the car, all the way back to Nebraska, from Louisiana.... I was 12 or so at the time... but Gawd... They had some great sandwiches back then.. even with the famous Ozark BBQ sauce..... Damn... Never forget that tasty BBQ sauce...

Oh shit... Not what I had in mind.. But thanks for the reminder... Yeah.. I used to go to the Ozark Mountains... There was this store, where I bought a slingshot.. and damn it... I fired, only to blow my thumbnail right dadgum clean off... Oh I remember the damn pain I had to endure sitting in the car, all the way back to Nebraska, from Louisiana.... I was 12 or so at the time... but Gawd... They had some great sandwiches back then.. even with the famous Ozark BBQ sauce..... Damn... Never forget that tasty BBQ sauce...

You are welcome, I think? haha! yeah tornado can and will hit anywhere no matter what as long as there are perfect recipe with right ingreidents and tornado will roar!

i love tornadoes and still do.. but i hate that it can cause damages and hurt or kill people. Worrying about my son. I have chased few tornadoes but I dont do that anymore as I have my son to focus on. If i didnt have a kid- I probably would be still chasing one .. ha.. :P

ouch about you hurting your thumbnail.. lol.. i dont mean to laugh.. haha.. but at least it got well, didnt it? heh! :) yeah we are famous for bbq tastes here. Yummy.. i cant wait for summer BBQ foods! mmm.. i'm already drooling... LOL

Interesting slingshot injury. Hitting the thumb with the projectile and leather usually happens to those who hold the Y handle in the right hand and aim with the left eye. Did that happen? Just curious. Please answer before you stare down the next tornado.

DAMN, I had few close calls with Tornados! One is in Salt Lake City Utah, tornado ripped though an hour AFTER I left that city! Man! I missed big time! Second one, I never forget this, I was traveling on Amtrak going though Fort Worth, TX inn 2001 around 3pm, with my preggy wife. I saw greeny, grayish black cloud, really diguesting look clouds, I told myself what the heck is that? I wouldn't never live here and deal with diguesting clouds. When I arrive in Chicago, saw newspaper headline, Fort Worth was hit by tornado, I looked at the date and time, holy mackerel! It happened around 4pm!!! Damn, I missed big time AGAIN!

Same thing Earthquakes, I missed few times, the last time I left LA, California, as soon as I took off on the plane, right before 9-11 the Earthquake striked!

The only thing I have seen is Hurricane (Champ!) and blizzards

Back