Anyone else prefere the company of other disabled people?

dreama

Reaction score
On another thread some people have confessed wanting to choosing non disabled people rather then disabled. I'm the complete opposite of that. Most of the people who I have found easier to relate to have been disabled in some way.

I know a lot of disabled people aspire to normality but I don't. I like being differantly able with all the extra challanges I have in my life. A 'normal' life must be incredibly dull.

I've noticed in particular that some people have had particular objections to being placed alongside people with learning difficulties. This has happened to me sometimes which really didn't bother me at all. In fact I found people with learning difficulties easier to deal with. I have much fonder memories of the times I've had growing up alongside other disabled people then I have with non disabled people.

Able-bodied is highly over-rated. Give me the gimps, crips, and otherwise different any day! (spoken by a Deaf Quadriplegic)

Able-bodied is highly over-rated. Give me the gimps, crips, and otherwise different any day! (spoken by a Deaf Quadriplegic)

Oh good! So I'm not the only one then. Who do you mean by Gimps? I've never come across that word before?

Oh good! So I'm not the only one then. Who do you mean by Gimps? I've never come across that word before?

It's a term originally made up by an author (I'm blanking on who...) to signify a person with a limp or other physical ailment. It's been popularized as a slang term for one with a disability, specifically a movement impairment.
gimp 2 (gmp) Slang
n.
1. A limp or a limping gait.
2. A person who limps.
intr.v. gimped, gimp·ing, gimps
To walk with a limp.

It's a term originally made up by an author (I'm blanking on who...) to signify a person with a limp or other physical ailment. It's been popularized as a slang term for one with a disability, specifically a movement impairment.
gimp 2 (gmp) Slang
n.
1. A limp or a limping gait.
2. A person who limps.
intr.v. gimped, gimp·ing, gimps
To walk with a limp.

Thanks for explaining.

This isn't necessarily related to disability per se, but I do have to admit I enjoy the company of people like myself who have bipolar. I find them to be amusing (i.e. their sense of humor), highly intelligent, fascinating and witty individuals.

As for spending time with those who have disabilities, I prefer the company of sighted-hearing people because whenever I spend time in the blind community, it's nothing but a huge gossip fest. :blah:

That being said, I LOVE spending time in my local Deaf and deafblind communities. I've been a part of both communities since 1995, so I've developed quite a few close and treasured relationships. :cool2:

I enjoy being around other disabled people. They give me an insight towards their disability, and it's a learning experience too!....As for hearies, it's the same ol', same ol'....their jobs, family, dates, etc.

And hearies never fail to say "so sorry about ur deafness or :how did it happen" etc.

I'm just really more comfortable with the disabled! We can make "jokes" about our disability and tell funny stories, but with hearies they find it "odd" to joke about our disability.

I'd rather be able to laugh and have fun, than to sit there with the hearies not knowing what the heck was going on.

My husband has the same disabilities that I do. That is how I met him.

I certainly enjoy his company. My children are of the non-disabled variety, and I take equal pleasure in their company.

So to me I would say if doesn't matter.

At my last paying job, I found that I get along with those in minority. There is a woman in wheelchair that I am the most comfortable with. I get along with two black guys. Back in high school, the supervisor placed two girls from special program in my team and I can see why she think I can handle them. I don't know how she figured that out. One of the girls is real hot-tempered but never got mad at me.

Back