Anyone else have this strange beginning?

LittleCat

Reaction score
I was born hearing, and lost it due to illness at 15 monthes old. I have severe loss in both ears, my speech is slightly mushy, but with my HA's people have said I speak more clear.

My mother obviously knew about the loss, she got many letters from school saying to take me to the doctor etc. She never did deal with it. Except for one thing-she sent me to the YMCA where I learned basic ASL when I was 5-6 years old. She refused any discussion about HA's.

Fast forward to today, I am 38 years old and just got my first HA's a couple weeks ago. After some stumbling the first week or so, I am finding that I am benefitting alot. I paniced the other day when one wasn't working-I needed to change the battery:giggle:

I speech read very well and have adapted well but at times I find lately that I am angry with my mother over this. She still thinks I don't need them, even after surgery 10 yrs ago to remove scar tissue from my inner ear, and the multiple audi appointments and audiograms!!! :deal:

Anyone else been deaf since a baby and have parents so much in denial? I ask her why she send me to ASL and she said because she thought it would be interesting for me....huh!

I now wear my HA's with pride, I feel a lot more a part of the world, after feeling like I was on the outside looking in for so many years!

Hey.i cant say i know how u feel totally...but somewhat...

I started to lose my hearing (mostly in my right) when i was 16 and i went to 2 diff audis who were like its ok it's no biggie u have a mild hearing loss but it shouldnt affect u at all..i also have severe/profound tinnitus, and they didnt really care bout that either. My mom was in denial about it too and finally this past summer ( im turning 19 in april) my new audi said i shud go ahead and try ha in my right ear and since i've gotten it i loveee it! wouldn't trade it in if i had to..im glad my mom isn't as ignorant to the fact i have a hearing loss.

I think she was just scared ppl would judge me and what not but if ppl do comment on my ha idc most are good comments or just ppl being curious..and some ppl stare..which is watever to me too cuz i need it..its not a fashion accessory..even tho i wud like a colored one sometimes or a cute gucci ha:) lol

Back