Anybody out there...

Chellebelle

Reaction score
Anybody out there...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just posted on somebody's thread about deaf vs. non-deaf colleges. I go to a mainstream university, and I sometimes feel as though I'm not "clicking" there.

I've felt this constant, pervasive feeling of solitude (and, ok---it's only my fourth week). I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this as a result of being hearing-impaired/deaf or not? I'm wondering if that's why I find it hard to talk with people and vice-versa. Miscommunication and quietness happen a lot, and I'm curious to know if I'm the only person who's dealt with this (cuz' I'm a crazy person).

Are these emotions in my head or has anyone else ever felt lonely or lacked friends because they've always felt misunderstood? If anyone else has ever felt this way, it'd be nice to talk about it instead of...not.

Anybody out there...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just posted on somebody's thread about deaf vs. non-deaf colleges. I go to a mainstream university, and I sometimes feel as though I'm not "clicking" there.

I've felt this constant, pervasive feeling of solitude (and, ok---it's only my fourth week). I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this as a result of being hearing-impaired/deaf or not? I'm wondering if that's why I find it hard to talk with people and vice-versa. Miscommunication and quietness happen a lot, and I'm curious to know if I'm the only person who's dealt with this (cuz' I'm a crazy person).

Are these emotions in my head or has anyone else ever felt lonely or lacked friends because they've always felt misunderstood? If anyone else has ever felt this way, it'd be nice to talk about it instead of...not.

Been there and done that. I was HOH all of my life (now deaf and using a CI) and been mainstreamed forever. Centuries ago, I went to the U of Md in College Park. Big campus and easy to get lost. Try to find a group to get involved in...it can be anything like religious, sports, games, art, you name it. A smaller group allows for better interaction and getting to know people. I did that and it made it easier to socialize.

Every time you put yourself into a new environment, you feel out of place. I am hearing. When I left for basic training in the Army, it took several months before I felt comfortable in my new surroundings.
When I got out of training and went to my unit (1 cavalry division, Ft,Hood TX) I felt like i moved to another planet! At least in training, everyone felt out of place. At Ft.Hood it seemed that everyone belonged there EXCEPT ME.
Take your time, get out and meet some new people. In time, you will have a new circle of friends and new things to do in no time.

Every time you put yourself into a new environment, you feel out of place. I am hearing. When I left for basic training in the Army, it took several months before I felt comfortable in my new surroundings.
When I got out of training and went to my unit (1 cavalry division, Ft,Hood TX) I felt like i moved to another planet! At least in training, everyone felt out of place. At Ft.Hood it seemed that everyone belonged there EXCEPT ME.
Take your time, get out and meet some new people. In time, you will have a new circle of friends and new things to do in no time.
Keep yer chin up! :dance2: :wave: :grouphug:

Been there and done that. I was HOH all of my life (now deaf and using a CI) and been mainstreamed forever. Centuries ago, I went to the U of Md in College Park. Big campus and easy to get lost. Try to find a group to get involved in...it can be anything like religious, sports, games, art, you name it. A smaller group allows for better interaction and getting to know people. I did that and it made it easier to socialize.

My son goes to a hearing college, and he is very lucky in that it is in the same city that his deaf school was, so he has been able to keep in touch with old friends. But I work at a college in Ohio (also a student working on my graduate degree), and we have a few Deaf students and 2 blind students on campus who have gone through the same thing. sr171soars gave you good advise. Find a small group or club that you feel comfortable with. Perhaps you could even talk to an advisor in student affairs and see about starting a sign language club.

Back