Anybody here ever done drag racing?

Ausrider

Premium Member
Reaction score
Tonight i was invited by a mate to a test & tune night at the local drag strip, i dont like watching drag racing that much but actually having a go was really fun , does anyone here like to do it or gone in the past?

Tonight i was invited by a mate to a test & tune night at the local drag strip, i dont like watching drag racing that much but actually having a go was really fun , does anyone here like to do it or gone in the past?

When I got my driver's license at 16, I became a part-time drag racer in Michigan. Started out on the streets around 1969. Traffic is not like today. Usually it was stop light to stop light racing around midnight.

Drove my dad's 1968 Olds with a 455 c.i. He did not care too much to see his back tires wear down so soon :)

In 1971 I bought a new 4-speed Ford Pinto to go to work. When I could, I would go to the nearest strip and race other 4 cylinder cars in O stock class NHRA. The only equipment required was a helmet. Removing the exhaust and tweaking the dual Weber carbs helped a lot.

One of our group of friends bought a 440 c.i. 1969 Plymouth GTX with a 4 barrel and 4 speed hurst pistol-grip shifter. We all helped rebuild it with 2-4 barrels and a tunnel ram intake, headers, etc. The rear tires were so wide that the air shocks had extensions on them to allow the tires to fit. The owner did not want to tub it and not have a back seat.

He raced it once at the strip and it scared him to go so fast so he asked me to drive it since I gained a reputation with going "through the gears". I drove it many times at the same strip in NHRA Super Stock class. I don't remember the exact class designation. The window had SS/_____. Fastest time was in the 9 second range at 144 mph.

Throughout the years I had various cars but never raced again. I currently have a 2006 Hemi Jeep. Still drool over the 392 or 6.2 Challengers.

Many years ago...(in N.C.)....there was a road named "River Road"...that stretched for 2 miles or so....straight stretch. We teenagers raced our Chevy's & Ford's late at night....Usually, I sat in the "middle" (since I was a blonde!) :giggle:...but I also raced my Mustang at the drag strip (and won a trophy for that)....those were the days, I guess.

Back