anybody hate the hearies in school?

Wow, I was stunned while reading some of your stories around here, I guess it's not really surprising that we got bullied just because we were deaf. I was bullied by both deafies in the public schools and the hearies.

I remember when I, at the first time, went to the public school when I was 4 grade, nearly all of the deaf in that school knew how to talk and read lip very well, they sign the Exactly English Sign, which I sign the ASL and I don't talk nor read lips, I was the only student that are like that at that school, so those deaf at the public school made me feel ashamed all the times, like when I was in the classroom I tend to patting my pen and the teacher told me to stop. Other deaf students just laugh at me whatsoever if the teacher point me out for my "behavior like there's no hearies in the classroom", at the lunchtime or recess, the hearies always made fun of me, like put their hands on my face and pretending that they are signing, I mean all the times.

Just a month later from when I start that school, I cried so hard at my home and fighting with my parents because I can't deal with the hearing world because they kept making me feel lousy for being deaf, my parents kept telling me that there are deaf students can learn a new thing from you, so I patiently stay at the public school, and I just realized that I was happy with that school with the deaf students more better, it was really because that school do have the program for the deaf, but just a little different due to the influence of hearies world.

So I tried fight it out and make everyone realized that the true Deaf Culture is not an just dumb animal waving their hands, continue to even when I went to the college.

I am ashamed to admit it but as an oral deaf child, I made fun of the deaf signers whenever I saw them. It was cuz I was so ashamed of my deafness and wanted to be hearing so badly so when I saw anything resembling deafness, I ran away from it or put it down. I wasnt a bully but I was a snob thinking I was better than deaf people who had no oral skills. That was from years and years of teachers and adults telling me that becuase I spoke so well, I was so smart. My intelligence level was always associated with my speech skills which led me into thinking that deaf people who didnt have good speech skills were not as smart as me. Boy, did Gallaudet ever proved me wrong BIG time!

I am ashamed to admit it but as an oral deaf child, I made fun of the deaf signers whenever I saw them. It was cuz I was so ashamed of my deafness and wanted to be hearing so badly so when I saw anything resembling deafness, I ran away from it or put it down. I wasnt a bully but I was a snob thinking I was better than deaf people who had no oral skills. That was from years and years of teachers and adults telling me that becuase I spoke so well, I was so smart. My intelligence level was always associated with my speech skills which led me into thinking that deaf people who didnt have good speech skills were not as smart as me. Boy, did Gallaudet ever proved me wrong BIG time!

It's allright, everyone are not perfect :) Almost all of those deaf that I talked in my post are now my friends, none of them are my emeny so I am okay :)

I can understand the difference between the hearing world and deaf world, and how they can get along. That's was my goal when I was in the schools.

However, I am glad that you learn how to get along with the deaf world :hug:

BTW, I was very shocked what that boy did to you with the locker, it pissed me so off while reading your story..

Ok...
I've read enough...
From a hearie - I am sorry that this took place and to be honest with me - it would piss me off too!
Fork to the neck...probably!

I have tried so hard to bring my kids up to treat everyone with dignity and respect...sad to say - I have many times set a poor example for my children.

That is why I am here - I want to know more and understand.

The dude that was jackin with the girl in Babyface's first post was just being a butthole!
No attempt was even being made to understand where she was coming from or who she was and those kinds of people unfortunatly are out there.

I have met some incredible people here at AD and I count it a blessing that you would let me - a hearie - even hang around long enough to become acquantances with a few of you.

I am sorry ;(

not all hearies are bad dude just the one that are really really ignorant like the guy who took her aids from her thats like a big big big red flag right there in the deaf culture

I like you because youve got a chewie pic *growls*

I may be a wookiee, but I know whose team I am on!

GRRRAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

i love them when they're dumb enough that they dont understand me and my asl. [laughs]

i love them (girls) admired my asl to make them drool and wanting to learn more. [smirk]

i love them when principal was like, what the hell are you saying?! [chuckles]

and i hate them when they just flipped their middle finger at me that being as Deaf. Dumbasses.

clear?

Ok, it's not just about hearies or deafies in school, it can be just about anybody.
Growing up mainstreamed, I was bullied, made fun of, taunted, you name it by both hearies and deafies. What did I do, I shrug it off and ignored them since it's not worth my time to get in trouble with. I don't blame the school for that. As most of you know the teacher or principal most likely will do nothing back then. Unfortunately the results are in one of the few school shootings/violences happened because of the bully. I hope this is a wake up call for teacher/principal to do something about the bully because it really frustrates and push the self esteem down and blow up to do harm.

Bullying is everywhere, young kids do not understand the feelings of people who have some kind of condition or disabilities and they just laugh and make fun of them to bully them to try to get the person's self esteem down. In my experience, the bullies was greatly reduced when I entered high school, much better environment. On the other hand the bully does affect their emotional being in a way. I don't hate hearies or deafies, in any way, it just how parents teach their children, some parents are lazy or carelessness if their children bullies other children. :(

Ok, it's not just about hearies or deafies in school, it can be just about anybody.
Growing up mainstreamed, I was bullied, made fun of, taunted, you name it by both hearies and deafies. What did I do, I shrug it off and ignored them since it's not worth my time to get in trouble with. I don't blame the school for that. As most of you know the teacher or principal most likely will do nothing back then. Unfortunately the results are in one of the few school shootings/violences happened because of the bully. I hope this is a wake up call for teacher/principal to do something about the bully because it really frustrates and push the self esteem down and blow up to do harm.

Bullying is everywhere, young kids do not understand the feelings of people who have some kind of condition or disabilities and they just laugh and make fun of them to bully them to try to get the person's self esteem down. In my experience, the bullies was greatly reduced when I entered high school, much better environment. On the other hand the bully does affect their emotional being in a way. I don't hate hearies or deafies, in any way, it just how parents teach their children, some parents are lazy or carelessness if their children bullies other children. :(
:gpost: You are correct my friend. I know it's not as easy as it sounds but teaching your kids about how to ignore or don't take seriously what the bullies say and then re-enforcing that with love and support can go a long way.

High School, you learn to defend and do what's right. And that is to do nothing and take beatings.

College, you defend and fight. Simple.

Non-related to school, in general, just walk away.

You are right, bullying is every where you go. Even animals bully other animals. I don't know why I said that but hey it's true. It does get better as you age, people mature and it's not longer the thing to do.

Back