Anybody else find HAs are sometimes bad for hearing?

Recruitment only applies to normal hearing. Recruitment is an effect on the hair cells in the cochlea, it is not possible to have it with a CI. If you are having effects similar to recruitment with a CI, your stim levels are too high.

My CI audie says it's possible to have recruitment with a CI. I don't experience it all the time, just mostly when my dog barks, even when the volume on my processor is turned all the way down, the bark still hurts. Everything else sound fine.

That isn't recruitment. That is the AGC being in a quiet setting and suddenly loud noise. You can have similar symptoms to recruitment but it isn't recruitment. Recruitment is the entrainment of hair cells where the neural response is nonlinear. It's all semantics. The Naida CI has sound relax which should help with that when it comes out.

Does anybody else with profound hearing loss elect to not wear hearing aids in noisy situations?
My hearing aids are awesome in quiet but are painful in noise.

I'm in the moderate/severe to profound level and whenever I'm in noisy situations, I turn them off. Why does anyone need to hear that racket so loud? I keep them on most every other situation but if there's noise, no point.

Laura

I'm in the moderate/severe to profound level and whenever I'm in noisy situations, I turn them off. Why does anyone need to hear that racket so loud? I keep them on most every other situation but if there's noise, no point.

Laura

Well, when I work in the trauma bay of an emergency room I absolutely need to hear the patient history above the racket of machines and people. Usually I can lip read and/or take the paramedic who is providing the info into the hallway to get the details.

Well, when I work in the trauma bay of an emergency room I absolutely need to hear the patient history above the racket of machines and people. Usually I can lip read and/or take the paramedic who is providing the info into the hallway to get the details.

I would def ask your Audi to play around with the fitting formulas within your Naidas to see if it helps, but make sure you have your pervious settings saved incase it doesn't work.

I was in hospital in the high dependancy unit last month and I couldn't hear anything above all the machines that were beeping etc. I ended up taking my HAs out and just Lipreading BUT I'm now 99% sure I would easily be able to hear people above the machines and doctors and nurses talking in the hospital now my fitting formula has been changed.

I realise it won't be a permanent solution for you but it may help you better in a hospital situation until you an get a CI.

Back