Anybody deaf who can speak multiple languages?

How do you read lips in a TONAL language?

I'm not sure. I just seem able to when I listen and look at my grandmother when she's speaking some Chinese to me. If someone speaks a long sentence in Chinese to me, then I won't hear or get everything, so I just use a large amount of context clues?

My deaf friend is a Chinese and born in Trinidad (very hot weather). He lives in Boston. Are you in Boston area?

I have had seen the Chinese festival especially the New Year. I love it and fun. I believe that my friend established an oriental club at RIT/NTID in 1989. I had a bit problem with the deaf Chinese people on the campus because they always stay in the same group everyday. That was not the real problem, but I thought that they would interact with other cultures. Maybe, they spoke in Chinese secretly.

My deaf friend is a Chinese and born in Trinidad (very hot weather). He lives in Boston. Are you in Boston area?

I have had seen the Chinese festival especially the New Year. I love it and fun. I believe that my friend established an oriental club at RIT/NTID in 1989. I had a bit problem with the deaf Chinese people on the campus because they always stay in the same group everyday. That was not the real problem, but I thought that they would interact with other cultures. Maybe, they spoke in Chinese secretly.

Lol, well, I do go to school in Boston (technically, Cambridge).

And wow, I haven't really met a lot of other deaf oriental in my life...so I wasn't sure if there were others who could speak Chinese as well.

I did take French in high school and my hearing was never really an obstacle to learning it. I dropped it senior year because of a scheduling conflict though.

I don't think learning other Romance/Germanic languages is as difficult as learning Chinese or a language from a different background, especially if that language requires tones. I was able to say functional Japanese phrases when I was in Japan, but communicating in China was pretty much a lost cause.

I took French and Spanish in high school 35 years ago. I remember some... (I am still reading French, Spanish and Italian.)

I know that Chinese is more difficult than other foreign languages. I tried it years ago but I failed... It's very difficult.
I know that you can do it, Sheila! I wish you the best of luck!!!

I am still attending MIT for the staff's study since July. 3 days a week. I find his study very interesting. I learned a lot from him. He will be graduating in December; to receive his Ph.D. (He is inviting me for his graduation! :D)

Russian, Russian Sign Language, English, American Sign Language, International Sign Language, British Sign Language.

ASL can be added to mine . I was not thinking of sign languages when I responded. :)

Hello!
I'm a bilingual deaf student from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
I am working on a project about exchange programs for deaf students, both study and tourism.
I have some doubts and just a few references about the best institutions and/or programs.
I know of Gallaudet University, and I would like to know if there are other institutions with the same concept located in Europe and Australia.
Additionally, I would be glad to have a reference on the best exchange programs for students travelling abroad for the first time. Also, it would be great to know if you have already had any contact with foreign students and how was the experience.
Any information on the subject would be very helpful and welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Back