Any suggestions ??????

ashleysmommy

Reaction score
I was wondering if any parents have had issues with their kids not wanting to sleep at night. Ashley is VERY active. She hates to slow down for anything. I am having so much trouble getting her to go to sleep at night. It is after 10 PM most nights and sometimes later before she will go down. She still wakes during the night too. She will not go back to sleep until I get her out and rock her. She does this 2 to 3 times sometimes more. Her neurologist has given us 2 different meds to help but it does not work. She is taking valium before bed and it has helped with her anxiety but it does not faze her sleep issue. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

She could be an insomniac like me. As a toddler I NEVER took naps, just couldn't. And I never could go to bed early, I would stay up pretty late and eventually fall asleep. After a while, my mom gave up and let me wear myself out and fall asleep on my own. It was impossible for mom to keep me on a sleep routine, no matter how much she tried. I am still an insomniac today.

Good luck in resolving Ashley's sleep issues!

Have you tried changing her room? Maybe it needs to be more dark? Maybe there is too much stimulation (pictures, colors, etc.) for her. You might want to research into colors - such as choosing colors that are soothing and relaxing. Have you had her checked for food allergies? Or it could be something in her diet.

I don't know how much she can see...but sometimes even children with limited vision can see shadows, moving light, etc...that's why I mentioned the room...

My mom said it could be a side effect of a medication she might be taking...I was asking my Mom about this...

Aww, maybe give her a nice warm bath with lavendar which would probably relaxes her before she heads to bed... Isn't that warm milk helps as well to make them fall alsleep??

I wouldn't want to medicate my kids without further opinion, but it's your choice.. also not have her afternoon nap, maybe she'll fall alsleep earlier.. You could try put her down by 7 pm ...

Wish the best of luck...

I don't know how much she can see...but sometimes even children with limited vision can see shadows, moving light, etc...that's why I mentioned the room...

that's possible but I think maybe if she's use to light, maybe leave a light on I dunno cuz she's probably lost in the dark trying to find where she is so on..... I'm just guessing here thinking the opposite.

I remember reading somewhere that blind children have trouble establishing a sleeping routine due their inability to see light. If I remember correctly, could it maybe be the problem?

What time she usually woke up in the morning?? If get up little late morning then trying to get her up early as 6 a.m.? Then guarantee that she will sleep early at night?

Good luck ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading somewhere that blind children have trouble establishing a sleeping routine due their inability to see light. If I remember correctly, could it maybe be the problem?

Good point, shel, and very perceptive. The light establishes circadian rhythms that tell us when to wake and when to sleep.

Good point, shel, and very perceptive. The light establishes circadian rhythms that tell us when to wake and when to sleep.

Yeah you do got a good point Shel, as I see that with my dog since she's losing her vision always go to the light and when it's dark in there, she'll freak... soo it's amazing what they know...

Also, maybe try asking another deaf/blind person if they have that problem... it's a good point.. like that movie about a guy who got his sight back but it was worst and his mind wasn't trained to do it... I forgot what that movie was called...

Wow. Thanks for all of the suggestions. They all sound great. We have already tried some of them. Ashley does not like the dark so I have to keep a night light on for her. She is still in our room right now for lack of space. I wish I could try the warm milk but she still refuses to drink anything. I have to force the sippy cup on her to get sips of juice in. She is a VERY strong willed little girl. Or maybe sometimes as my mom says a brat. I will give your suggestions a try. Thanks to all again!!!

I wouldn't force her to drink anything - it may make the problem worse because it becomes a control issue and when it comes to food and drink, children are in control and they know it! I would put lots of different cups (interesting colourful ones) on the table every meal time and snack time. Don't say anything and let her do it for herself. She will eventually. If she does, then don't praise her too excessively afterwards because it might become a control issue again.

I agree with Shel/Jillio about the light thing. Maybe ensure that Ashley has plenty of time outside in the sunlight during the day to get the rhythm more established.

Also wake her up at the same time every day to restart that rhythm, even if you've both had a crazy night.

Have a process of winding her down slowly from dinner time onwards. Nice warm bath, storybook etc. Maybe take off her CI a bit before she actually gets into bed so that she begins to associate it with going to bed.

I wouldn't force her to drink anything - it may make the problem worse because it becomes a control issue and when it comes to food and drink, children are in control and they know it! I would put lots of different cups (interesting colourful ones) on the table every meal time and snack time. Don't say anything and let her do it for herself. She will eventually. If she does, then don't praise her too excessively afterwards because it might become a control issue again.

I agree with Shel/Jillio about the light thing. Maybe ensure that Ashley has plenty of time outside in the sunlight during the day to get the rhythm more established.

Also wake her up at the same time every day to restart that rhythm, even if you've both had a crazy night.

Have a process of winding her down slowly from dinner time onwards. Nice warm bath, storybook etc. Maybe take off her CI a bit before she actually gets into bed so that she begins to associate it with going to bed.

:gpost:

It could be a control issue too. Now that she is two years old...here comes the terrible twos! I am going thru that with my son...he has issues with eating cuz all he wants is popcorn or chips and refuses to eat his meals. So hard not to give in to those tantrums. LOL!

Hope my and other's suggestions are helpful! :)

They do have very strong opinions and very strong wills sometimes. I guess I need to stop pushing so hard. I just worry and sometimes get anxious. Maybe the schedule thing will help. We tried waking her early and she is a bear if she does not get her beauty sleep. Oh well. Guess I need to pick my battle and go from there.

She could be an insomniac like me. As a toddler I NEVER took naps, just couldn't. And I never could go to bed early, I would stay up pretty late and eventually fall asleep. After a while, my mom gave up and let me wear myself out and fall asleep on my own. It was impossible for mom to keep me on a sleep routine, no matter how much she tried. I am still an insomniac today.

Good luck in resolving Ashley's sleep issues!
That's a good idea.

I have friends who have had the same problems. They would have a kid who was always active and difficult to get to sleep. So, they would let the kids get very active before bedtime and then let them get tired and fall asleep.

She is a sleep fighter. She will jump up and wake herself if she feels she is falling asleep. She is too busy for sleep so she thinks. It has gotten a little better. No too bad any way. One of those things she will have to work through.

Another... I remember.. long time ago.. My ex bf's sister told me that...

Her daughter has problem sleeps and seek many different doctors. Then the Last doctor recommended her to daughter's replace new mattress.. after its work!!! Her daughter sleep well :dunno2: :)

Again goodluck ;) Saw your daughter's pix .. So Cutie! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Try reading her a bedtime story at night and getting into bed with her sometimes when children see things they'll try to copy it so if she sees you getting into bed she'll do the same thing

Back