Any Suggestions PLEASE!!!

want2interpret

Reaction score
:confused: I am in the ITP program and I know it is going to get harder, but this is a field that I have dedicated myself to learning. Maybe you can help me with a little dilemma I am having.
I had to relocate to this area to attend school and before the move I started applying with the local School for the Deaf and the Blind, but was unable to secure a position before I moved. I was able to get a waitress job in the meantime and still continued to apply with the school all the while I was praying about the position that I wanted, well I lost my waitress job so I was unemployed for about 3 months and I just started to pray for any job because my bills were getting behind. I finally got the chance to interview for the Residential Advisor position with the School for the Deaf, but unfortunately during the time delay I accepted a position with another company and a day after I started my current position I was offered the RA position at the school.
I’m sure you can see where my dilemma is, although it gets a little more complicated then that. In the interview process for the current position I have they were really concerned about hiring me because I am a student and they were/are looking for someone who will be here long term and not for a couple of months then gone again and well out of desperation (from not working for 3 months) I assured them that I could maintain school and a full-time job and then still follow through with my career later (Free Lance interpreting). This is a small office (only 8 people employed), I love my job, I love the people I work with and I am starting to get familiar with things, but I am very frustrated with my ASL class and I know that if I were to go work for the school and get more involved it would be much easier for me.
What should I do?? Any suggestions??
Sorry for babbling!!

There are sign language books and videos out there that can help. How about deaf events in your area where you can sign and interact with others? Also, I believe there are sites where they have sign language movie clips that you might want to check out but I forget what they were. Maybe someone here can provide some links for you.

Good luck.

" I am in the ITP program and I know it is going to get harder, but this is a field that I have dedicated myself to learning."

Shouldn't the above speak for itself?

So how long have you been at this job? Have you received your first pay check? One time this happened to me and I talked to the bosses and asked if they could hire someone else instead and just not pay me for the time I'd put in. They did, and I took the other job. (Also worked well b/c that short term position never had to be reported to future businesses I applied with, since I wasn't paid!) You might also check with your current employer to see if he could help you develop your signing skills, either through assisting with tuition or by letting you study at work or teach sign to your co-workers, if there is a need at your current job for something like that.

You might consider if one pays more than the other, and if one includes housing (the RA position) and if this would work to your advantage, as well. You don't want to put yourself too far in debt trying to reach your goals, but you still do want to pursue them!

I'd have to disagree. You WANT to keep the ASL going. I would talk to your manager. Tell them that you'd applied to a RA position before you accepted ur current job then they offered you a job you really want. You can always offer to stay on and help train the replacement. If you're really up for the RA position, you can even tell your manager that you'd be happy to forgo any pay from the past week or so.

The best thing that could happen: the manager says, "life's too short to have regrets.. go and have fun!".. the worst thing is the manager basically says, "get out of here!" and the end result is the same: you can start the job you really want to have.

Go for it!

Hi MsMell,
I'm an interpreter myself, and I know how to interpert for the deaf-blind too.
There are books and videos and dvds you can get.
Go to your local librairy and check them out.
Good luck!
Margie

If your goal is to be working in any field involving the deaf community, expect to meet some major winds of changes on your way there.

Richard

Back