Any metal workers?

I remember I operated camshaft grinder machine to reground camshafts for engine rebuilding company and customer own rebuilding requests, my shop foreman had his 10 years old son to running the camshaft polish on the South Bend lathe machine, foreman tell me to keep eye on him to operating the lathe machine. I was worried about him but nothing wrong with a little gifted boy. He use a roll of grit cloth to polish the cam journals as final finish prior to packing in the boxes. Cool boy..

None of the shops around here grind cams anymore except the race shop and they charge more than a new one. The journals on mine are good but the cams are a little flat. Gonna have to live with it until i can afford a new one though.

junebug is basically a truck or car stripped of its body and the gearing is changed really high so its all torque and low speed.

I using a hobart 125ez right now -- yes its a flux cored, no gas.

There is a deaf lady who lives in Florida that is a professional welder. She built a clothes hanger made of old steel pipes for us. Was pretty cool!!!

None of the shops around here grind cams anymore except the race shop and they charge more than a new one. The journals on mine are good but the cams are a little flat. Gonna have to live with it until i can afford a new one though.

Yes right, the regrind camshafts are not popular anymore, they buy new camshafts from the camshaft manufactures at cheap price and resell them. I last operated the camshaft grinder machine, was in 1979. Too much work on one camshaft and very tolerance work. They (engine rebuilders) decided to halt the camshaft grinding operation, purchase more new imported camshafts from Mexico, because the regrind camshafts made no profit for engine rebuilding, unless the camshafts are special parts such as vintage engines or customers supplied their own camshafts. During camshaft operation, I switch to another crankshaft dept to ground the crankshafts.

There is a deaf lady who lives in Florida that is a professional welder. She built a clothes hanger made of old steel pipes for us. Was pretty cool!!!

Sounds like a rugged hanger! Kind of the opposite, a friend of mine used coat hanger wire to gas weld a new corner into his truck after someone hit him. :shock:

Yes right, the regrind camshafts are not popular anymore, they buy new camshafts from the camshaft manufactures at cheap price and resell them. I last operated the camshaft grinder machine, was in 1979. Too much work on one camshaft and very tolerance work. They (engine rebuilders) decided to halt the camshaft grinding operation, purchase more new imported camshafts from Mexico, because the regrind camshafts made no profit for engine rebuilding, unless the camshafts are special parts such as vintage engines or customers supplied their own camshafts. During camshaft operation, I switch to another crankshaft dept to ground the crankshafts.

My jeep also has a dual pattern cam. Not sure if that makes it harder to grind or not.

OR a june bug? lol

I just putter around in my garage and weld up busted stuff with my cheap hobart mig, sometimes fabricate something with scrap metal into something useful for towing or tractoring . I wish I could afford a tig or even a 220v mig with gas. If I had the time and money - I would be rolling in a late 70's,early 80's el camino and convert to hotrod with diesel engine and make it my daily driver with towing capabilty. :D

Get new tig/mig machines. They make you happy welder.... Diesel engine in El Camino? You crazy...:-o

My jeep also has a dual pattern cam. Not sure if that makes it harder to grind or not.

What? Dual pattern camshaft for In-line 6 cylinder engine? Mine is COMP Cams, High Energy Hydraulic, single pattern for a 350 CID V8 engine, have not fire up yet. Most V8 engines use single pattern camshafts. I did ground one camshaft with 2 different master lobe patterns for intake and exhaust lobes, too much work. First run is you use a master intake lobe pattern to inserting in the machine. The roller of the travel table will following the master lobe pattern then grind all the intake lobes after that change the master exhaust lobe pattern, then set up exhaust lobe grinding. For single pattern camshafts you grind ALL same lobes.

Yup, '96 and after became "high output"or HO motors with dual pattern cams. Great motors really. Only thing I don't like the HO I6 is the flat tappets.

Get new tig/mig machines. They make you happy welder.... Diesel engine in El Camino? You crazy...:-o

heck no! I love diesels. I love el Camino. Why not Combine my two loves?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AllDeaf App mobile app

heck no! I love diesels. I love el Camino. Why not Combine my two loves?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AllDeaf App mobile app

What size of diesel engine do you drop in El Camino? In-line 6 cylinder Diesel engine? Perkins diesel 4 cylinder?

Back