Any help with Vocational Rehabilitation Funding?

ecp

Reaction score
I've had some problems with my state's Voc Rehab.
I was approved for a new pair of hearing aids in August but one day in early September I got an email saying that:

Your disability only qualifies you under priority 2. You are considered severely disabled but PC1 are considered most severely disabled and have disabilities that effect their functioning in at least 2 functional capacities. Your disability limits you in only one category and that is communication.

This sudden decision by Central Office has really left counselors like me in a very uncomfortable situation in regard to information we had given new referrals like yourself who we though we would be able to serve.

So right now I am stuck in government limbo.
I went ahead and saw the audiologist the voc rehab people referred me to and he is awesome.
He is letting me borrow a Naida III until the state gets their act together.
The Naida is amazing but since it is a loaner, many of the features have been disabled (by Phonak).

I'm really getting frustrated because I need to interview for medical school and for the first time- I can hear much of a conversation.

I'm afraid that Phonak will ask for the aid back or more likely- the thing will need repairs (which it does already).

Anybody know of alternative sources of funding? People keep recommending Lions Clubs and stuff but I don't know what to ask for or how.

My old hearing aids suck. They were great when my hearing loss was in the 70dB range. Now it is between 85dB at 250Hz and no response above 6000Hz with an average of about 100dB.

Any advice?

Back