Any Hard-encoded Closed Captioning for Bluray?

dragonman3000

Reaction score
Aghhh. Im having hard time with getting CC to work with my new bluray player. Turn out, HDMI does not provide CC :(. Is there any bluray player that have hard-encoding CC?

When I brought Blu-ray player, I knew that hard encoding or CC decoder will not work with HDMI, but there's Composite jacks that should work. Behold! Neither!! Turned out that my Blu-ray player do not have CC decoder at all!! Only sub-title. I was pissed that they didn't mentioned on the spec if it have hard encoding or cc decoder built in. So, It try to look for other but it's impossible to find it on the spec. So, I did some research, and found one info about close captioning on DVD players:

HD DVD and Blu-ray disc media cannot carry Line 21 closed captioning due to the design of High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) specifications that were designed to replace older analog and digital standards, such as VGA, S-Video, and DVI. Both Blu-ray disc and HD DVD can use either DVD bitmap subtitles (with extended definition) or 'advanced subtitles' to carry SDH type subtitling, the latter being an XML based textual format which includes font, styling and positioning information as well as a unicode representation of the text. Advanced subtitling can also include additional media accessibility features such as "descriptive audio".

all Blu-Ray provide SDH, make sure you check the details on movie case on back.

I can't speak for all brands and models, but I've experimented with both Sony and Samsung Bluray players for my HDMI/CC Decoder project. Both of these will output Line 21 on the composite video, although on the Sony players I have you have to set the HDMI output to 480i mode for it to work. The Samsung player will output Line 21 signal on composite signal regardless of what setting the HDMI output is.

I honestly don't remember if either player has a built-in CC decoder or not. I'll have a look if I can find time this week.

Talking about Blu-ray, I recently rented "The American" and the DVD made by Universal (or the production I mean). So, when I click on Setting and tried to find "SDH Subtitle", I couldn't find it and only see "Descriptive narration for visually Impaired" option. I was shocked that I don't see any subtitle for the deaf. So, I got little pissed. Then I take a closer look at "Descriptive narration for visually impaired" option. It didn't say on or off. So I decided to try go ahead click on that. Behold! There's a sub menu in it. Found the option for SHD subtitle.. jeesh.. You know in the main menu it didn't say "Disabiltiy options" or "Deaf or Visually Impaired Options" or something like that. It just basically say. "Descriptive Narration for Visually Impaired" that is it!! So, I went ahead turned on the "SDH Subtitle" and went back and start playing the movie. While the moving playing...I was like "OH SH*T!" I hear the man and woman walking in the snow, you know the sound of the foot steps into the snow and AT the SAME TIME I hear descriptive narration describing the sceinic view of the movie AND CC show up at the same time!! AAARRRGG! That drive me bonker!! I stopped the movie and went back to the setting menu and tried to find a way to turn off the "Descriptive Narration for Visually Impaired"...There is no way to turn it off. If I turn off the "Descriptive Narration for Visually Impaired", the SDH subtitle will TURNED off!!!

This is really Sucks!!! So, I reported both Universal Studio (with lot of cussing words) and FCC (with a nice words). So, go see it yourself, rent a Blu-ray DVD "The American", I never seen a options that the movie company assumed that turning on the SDH subtitle, deaf people won't hear the "subscriptive narration for visually impaired"??? Come ON!! There HOH people out there will hear it!!

Grrr!!

Well Im thinking that FCC should set up new ADA law for CC for Bluray players or other HD dvd players! :mad2:
That way, all manufacturers will be required to include hard-encoding Closed Captioning.

Back