Any Deafies in Whitewater Kayaking???

CatSaye

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wonder if any of you experience in whitewater kayaking??? If you do, please let me know.

Cathy

I have had experiences. Also I have had experiences with canoeing, kayaking etcs when I was in Hawaii. It sure was so fun but it has been long time since my son came into my life. Yikes. I sure miss it alot... :rofl:

PurrMeow

count me in.. i rent them.. mostly do at st. croix river :D in st. croix falls, WI

Whitewater Kayaking

Hi,
I live in the Washington DC area and I have been actively whitewater kayaking since 1979 and still paddle a lot, even if most of it is on the Potomac, which has wonderful class II - V whitewater, practically in my back yard. Its warm enough here that with winter gear, I can paddle pretty much all year.
Also excellent whitewater 3 or 4 hours from here in western VA and WV.
I have paddled in NC, SC, and TN as well.
There are several other deaf and late deafened folks who paddle kayak in this area and one open boater.
As far as I know I am the only deaf person (well the only one who signs at least) paddling difficult rapids/rivers. I'd love to find another person who is actively boating and team up to do some rivers in the Cheat/Tygart area. Whitewater is noisy and renders even those who can hear, effectively deaf. Like with scuba, sign language can be put to good use on rivers.

Jim Mallard

Back