any deaf people in CT

rjr2006

Reaction score
Since, I just recently started receiving more state services to ensure that I will still function after I graduate from high school next year, I might not go to NTID, right away after high school, because my vocational rehabilitation services said that I will have to get used to Personal Care Assistance (due to my permanent disability) first in CT. I might have to go to college (2yrs) in CT for a while after high school while learning how to live independently. I told my family and special education teacher that I really want to be with deaf people, and they understand me.

However, my interp told me that a teacher said that Southern CT State University is a disability friendly place for me, but I don't see any deaf students there. I might have to go there for a temporary time until I feel comfortable with independent living.

I would like to know where MOST OF DEAF AND HOH people live near a college in CT so that I can decide on picking colleges in CT. NTID is my first choice, and I don't want to feel left out in deaf world, but sometimes I have to do things that I don't want to do, and LIFE IS VERY COMPLEX.

what about Northwestern Community College in Winsted, CT? There is a deaf program. About 80 deaf/hoh students are in that school.

Good luck

oakbluffs said:
what about Northwestern Community College in Winsted, CT? There is a deaf program. About 80 deaf/hoh students are in that school.

Good luck

I know about it, but they don't offer dorms and BRS (Rehabilitation Services in CT), told me that it is impossible for me to go to colleges outside CT and I have to start researching for colleges IN CT so BRS will help me with employment. I am not trying to cut off the deaf world :sadwave: and it's very difficult to balance between deaf and hearing worlds since I am living in hearing world.

Why not ask someone at American School for the Deaf? They may have helpful information!

rjr2006, whatever you decide I'm sure will be the best for you. Good luck with your research....you know we're all here in AD rooting for you! :)

Back