Any deaf/hoh hunters out there??

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its gettin' cold and its time for deers and ducks.

Also I wanted to start something for deaf/hoh hunters out there. I want to put back what Ive gotten out of the hunting community.

Anyone??

Erm.. I, ah tried to hunt once. I'm just not the type to pull the trigger on animals was a nice 4x4 white tail, let him get away. Can't stomach it unless it was for survival. I do enjoy shooting paper targets and can hollow out an altoids box at 50 yards with a 1911a1 colt army mod. I also like just walking around and looking for sheds/pre-killed ones from wolves (I live near canada) and I keep the heads with antlers on em o.0;...

i used to go hunt with my ex bf.. it was fun.. but we didnt catch somthing.. thank god! haha.. i would have gotten sick if my ex bf got one.. yikes! haha.. but deer meats so yummy... :)

Well Ive had to gut a couple of deer in my lifetime.

Once your past the killing bambi mindset it really is fun. You get to go back to your primal instincts to hunt for food for survival in a way.

Im going to try out duck smackin' this year with the dogs and see how I do. I got to be Bubba gunner at a hunt test two weeks ago when they were short handed. I had faild the prior test so it was excellent anger management :D

Im a member of DU - hence the duckhead. I need to put those decals on my truck.

Its fun when youre out there on the line, and theres just so much that could go on.

Some duck hunters go deaf after 12 or so years because theyve been shot over numerous times. Some of the dogs even go deaf by the time they are 8 or 9. Fortunately by this time they are ready to retire. I think a Lab is in his prime between 4 and 7 years of age.

One well known guide once said that he wouldnt trade good hearing for being able to be a guide. Id love to trade with him. :D

Well anyway, my idea that I have bouncing around in my head is this:

I think there are deaf folks out there that want to hunt and learn to hunt but they cant get the experience because
1.) It is hard for them to know what type of sounds to make when calling game
2.) When to call game
3.) They rely on sight/movement in the bushes to see where their target is. By this time the animal might have already sighted you out and busted you.
4.) Not many people are willing to teach the deaf/hoh how to hunt and safely handle firearms.

Now for what I think should be done:
Provide a program that gives access for the deaf/hoh to learn to hunt and get the experience. Find deaf shooting instructors (I know there are some out there) to come in and teach how to safely use firearms
Provide hunter ed for the deaf - by giving sign langugage interpretation of the course - the use of power points to help illustrate and explain and provide captioning on hunter ed videos that are up to date.

After a successful completion of the course those interested in a specialty hunt (deer, turkey, duck, quail, pheasant, etc) are taught how to hunt that specific game, what type of camo to use in certain settings, reiterate safety issues, the use of dogs to hunt certain game, how to avoid shooting the dog, etc.

Plus I think this would open some more doors for the deaf/hoh.

Do you think this is good/bad idea??

I used to go hunting all the time, but as money isn't available, or the time for that matter, it has taken a back seat. I hope to go next year, but this time, instead of arming myself with my 30-30, it will be with a camera with a few different lenses. I'd like to start my photography hobby again and make the prints into nice pictures to sell.

Interesting I never gave this any thought. I have deaf friends who hunt. I rely a lot on my hearing when I hunt. Maybe deafies won't flinch as bad.

A deer hunter here for life !!!!!! :D

same here!!!!!
I love hunting but we dont kill anything unless we will put it to use. we dont hunt ducks. Ill be 16 on the 23 so Ill be able to hunt deer with a rifle. I hope to get a rifle for my birthday.

I'm a deaf/HoH hunter. the trick is to stay out of their sight or upwind. Deaf/HoH tend to have very good eyesight and smell to compensate for their lack of hearing, so you must be careful.

I find it best to fire when a pack of deaf/HoH have gathered and are signing quickly to each other, then you can aim for the people at the edge of the crowd. Since they can't hear the gunshot or the yell of the victim, it may take a bit of time for them to realize what happened. Use the opportunity to take down a few more deaf/HoH.

A particulary good place to go deaf/HoH hunting ins Rochester, the game is rich there.

I'm a deaf/HoH hunter. the trick is to stay out of their sight or upwind. Deaf/HoH tend to have very good eyesight and smell to compensate for their lack of hearing, so you must be careful.

I find it best to fire when a pack of deaf/HoH have gathered and are signing quickly to each other, then you can aim for the people at the edge of the crowd. Since they can't hear the gunshot or the yell of the victim, it may take a bit of time for them to realize what happened. Use the opportunity to take down a few more deaf/HoH.

A particulary good place to go deaf/HoH hunting ins Rochester, the game is rich there.

what are you talking about?

Well anyway, my idea that I have bouncing around in my head is this:

I think there are deaf folks out there that want to hunt and learn to hunt but they cant get the experience because
1.) It is hard for them to know what type of sounds to make when calling game
2.) When to call game
3.) They rely on sight/movement in the bushes to see where their target is. By this time the animal might have already sighted you out and busted you.
4.) Not many people are willing to teach the deaf/hoh how to hunt and safely handle firearms.

Now for what I think should be done:
Provide a program that gives access for the deaf/hoh to learn to hunt and get the experience. Find deaf shooting instructors (I know there are some out there) to come in and teach how to safely use firearms
Provide hunter ed for the deaf - by giving sign langugage interpretation of the course - the use of power points to help illustrate and explain and provide captioning on hunter ed videos that are up to date.

After a successful completion of the course those interested in a specialty hunt (deer, turkey, duck, quail, pheasant, etc) are taught how to hunt that specific game, what type of camo to use in certain settings, reiterate safety issues, the use of dogs to hunt certain game, how to avoid shooting the dog, etc.

Plus I think this would open some more doors for the deaf/hoh.

Do you think this is good/bad idea??

I dont mind joining with you. but my inexperience is not good. you are pretty redneck hunter! ha

I'm not a hunter, but my gf is a deer hunter. She used to hunt deer with her dad when she lived in Michigan. I've had some deer meat when I was up there in Michigan in June, it taste really different!

Back