Any Deaf bartenders out there???

SeattleDeafGrl

Reaction score
Hi, I've been checking out bartending schools and it cames to a wondering if there are any Deaf bartenders that you all know of. I'd like to know how it works for a Deaf bartender working at a bar or pub behind the wet bar with hearing customers. I'm deaf with limited skill of lipreading.

How does it work and how can it be successfull with ideas?? Any suggestions are open! :cheers:

there were a few deaf bartenders at gay bars here in Seattle, I think. That's what I heard, I only saw one who was deaf. Most were hearing who can sign.
I really have no idea how it works, though. You can always ask around, maybe somebody in alldeaf have a good answer, I guess. cheers

Im in the mood for Screaming Orgasm. Please make me one, Bartender.

By the way, go for it if you want to do it. You will be one of these few blessed bartenders not having to hear all crap coming out of drunkards mouths.

We used to have a deaf bartender
in D.C. at a couple of bars "Politics bar" (spelling ?)
and "Irish Pub" on Penn Avenue
drawing a huge crowd of deafies....
as well as another deaf bartender
at the Baja Club in Maryland...
I used to go there years ago but
NOT anymore I never like bar scenes
anyway....

Last edited:
There are a quite a few deaf bartenders in the metro NYC area. They freelance at bars whenever there's a deaf social night.

Don't forget to leave a tip :)

I tried to get a bartending license from the bartending school in Salt Lake City. They wouldn't provide interpreter, so I couldn't take the class. :/ It's too bad bec I heard bartending pays good money!

sequoias said:
there were a few deaf bartenders at gay bars here in Seattle, I think. That's what I heard, I only saw one who was deaf. Most were hearing who can sign.
I really have no idea how it works, though. You can always ask around, maybe somebody in alldeaf have a good answer, I guess. cheers

Did you mean one of the gay bar down on Pike street on Capital Hill? Gosh, I miss the Broadway days heh. I'll have to ask around the gay crowds I know of, they sure do party alot. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Deaf258 said:
I tried to get a bartending license from the bartending school in Salt Lake City. They wouldn't provide interpreter, so I couldn't take the class. :/ It's too bad bec I heard bartending pays good money!

Yeah, bartending does makes a lot of money. I'll do some surveys and ask around how it works for Deaf bartenders. I'll have to fight for an interpreter because it's part of EOE, right? (Equal Opportunity Employee) We all have the rights even though we can fight for an interpreter to simply open up the communicate barrier.

I'll let you know if I got in with an interpreter. No high hopes here but let's hope so.

Y said:
Aw shucks, that's too bad Sigh..
Yeah, it sucks.. royally.

SeattleDeafGrl said:
Yeah, bartending does makes a lot of money. I'll do some surveys and ask around how it works for Deaf bartenders. I'll have to fight for an interpreter because it's part of EOE, right? (Equal Opportunity Employee) We all have the rights even though we can fight for an interpreter to simply open up the communicate barrier.

I'll let you know if I got in with an interpreter. No high hopes here but let's hope so.
Good luck and let me know how you do! :thumb:

oakbluffs said:
There are a quite a few deaf bartenders in the metro NYC area. They freelance at bars whenever there's a deaf social night.

Don't forget to leave a tip :)

Hey, can you name the bars in the metro NYC area? Also since you're from Mass...are there any Deaf bartenders in either Boston and outskirt of Boston?

I alway leave a tip out of respect. :)

SeattleDeafGrl said:
Hey, can you name the bars in the metro NYC area? :

I recalled one of the largest best deafies crowd
in a bar on the Beach in Long Island, NY
I believe it's called OBI
Unfortunately it's already closed and sold to someone else...
I cannot remember if there was any
Deaf bartender there or not ?

Last edited:
There are some deaf bartenders at a club called Pulse here in Rochester, New York. :thumb:

VamPyroX said:
There are some deaf bartenders at a club called Pulse here in Rochester, New York. :thumb:

really?? i didnt know that?? as i lived in rochyshit for 5 friggin years.. :ugh:

zesty said:
really?? i didnt know that?? as i lived in rochyshit for 5 friggin years.. :ugh:
Perhaps, it's because some of them started working a couple years ago. :dunno:

SeattleDeafGrl said:
Did you mean one of the gay bar down on Pike street on Capital Hill? Gosh, I miss the Broadway days heh. I'll have to ask around the gay crowds I know of, they sure do party alot. :dance: :dance: :dance:

go for it, if u can. :) yea they party alot LOL

I thought about bartenders in college few years ago and interpreter in college said would be happy to interpret for me but i was not taking that class yet because i was thinking about job the way I cut ppl hair i am not strong enough to cut ppl's hair in public only myself or ppl in private like my home... anyway if i were you, I would just be strong and have notes with you to write notes to ppl if not understand you. or if u don't understand writing... or sometimes ask to repeat what they say. if u are strong person not be afraid of public to cut ppl's hairs. hope this help.

Thanks

I'd like to thank everyone who post in this thread and it has been helpful! I'm figuring out about my 'side' job as a bartender which I hope I can get past somehow to get my bartending license with good advices.
:deal:

SeattleDeafGrl said:
I'd like to thank everyone who post in this thread and it has been helpful! I'm figuring out about my 'side' job as a bartender which I hope I can get past somehow to get my bartending license with good advices.
:deal:
No problem. :thumb:

I think being a bartender would be a good part-time job. Some pay very well that you could have two part-time jobs and make more than if you had just one full-time job. ;)

Back