Any books....

Breezy

Reaction score
Any books on Deafness or being HOH? And i don't mean like, self-help books, or dealing with deafness, by like, fiction/non fiction books? I read a book called Deafening and i loved it so much i bought it. I cherish it deeply b/c i can relate to it, but i'm wondering what other books are out there?? THANX!

i'm going to HIGHLY reccomend one of my FAVORITE books- "i didn't hear the dragon roar" it's about a deaf woman's solo trek through china. it's a WONDERFUL book, especially if you love travelling.

unfortunately, it's out of print. BUT you can find a cheap copy off amazon (that's how i got my autographed copy).

suicidegirl said:
i'm going to HIGHLY reccomend one of my FAVORITE books- "i didn't hear the dragon roar" it's about a deaf woman's solo trek through china. it's a WONDERFUL book, especially if you love travelling.

unfortunately, it's out of print. BUT you can find a cheap copy off amazon (that's how i got my autographed copy).

That's a wonderful book! I also like Lessons in Laughter, by Bernard Bragg, a Deaf actor. And my favorite is "Seeing Vioces" by Oliver Sacks.

Mark Drousbaugh's books are good....and he's coming out with a new book, which is an anthology of writing by hoh folks. Everyone here should buy it since I have a piece in it!!!!!!!!!!!!1

deafdyke said:
Mark Drousbaugh's books are good....and he's coming out with a new book, which is an anthology of writing by hoh folks. Everyone here should buy it since I have a piece in it!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Where can I get it, and when will it be out? Always looking for new books, and would love to read your piece.

Somebody know a good book for read and learn English, I'm spanish and deaf

Regards from Spain :cheers:

Breezy,
A book i love is "The Raging Quiet" by Sherryl Jordan, its set in medival england about a young girl who moves with her new husband (whos not a nice man) to a village where she meets a deaf guy who everyone thinks is possessed. The book is basicly about them but its fantastic, it might be a little young for you, its described as for young adults, but im 19 and i thought it was great, a really good story and it deals with the guys deafness and peoples atttiudes to him which facinated me. Only trouble is it might not be easy to get a copy as i'm in the uk, well happy reading!

Smidge

I have found some books by Harlan Lane - "When the Mind Hears" "Into the Deaf World"
Oliver Saks "Seeing Voices"
Sue Thomas "Silent Night" (The story of the 'real' Sue Thomas
"I didn't Hear the Dragon Roar"--(Teacher from Gally goes to China to visit Deaf there), I see Suicidegirl recommends it too, it is really good.

I have more books listed on my webpage - Deaf Barrie

Jim

That's a wonderful book! I also like Lessons in Laughter, by Bernard Bragg, a Deaf actor. And my favorite is "Seeing Vioces" by Oliver Sacks.

I know ben bragg.... he is nice guy..he wore toupee...

"Talk Talk" a new novel that's released now... I forgot the author's name. It is about a Deaf teacher being arrested for many crimes but is innocent-- and is fixed to find that man who stole her identity to do those crimes.

"Deaf Child Crossing" by Marlee Matlin-- haven't read it.

"A Loss for Words : The Story of Deafness in a Family" by Lou Ann Walker (haven't read this too)

Back