Any Basset Hound Lovers or owners here?

FadedRose

Reaction score
Sheriandsudiethelazyduo.jpg

This is my 2 1/2 year old female basset named "sudie" We look kinda alike don't we? :giggle:

contary to popular beliefs bassets are not dumb!!! ( just the owners for letting them jump off the couch, talk about costly back surgery!)

any basset lovers here?
if so please share pictures of your basset family!

Jas

CUTE!! Sweetheart is the one love Bassinet hound! She is around on and off. :)

I am not sure who else love that breed. I have Jack Russell Terrier (mama dog) and Jug puppy (you might find my thread of the puppies)

When I was a teenager I lived with a foster family who had Basset Hounds, they are such sweet dogs!!! But they bark loudly!!!

Sudie is my second basset hound, we had to give the other hound back to the rescue group we got him from because he bit my husband...ha. But the male basset we had, OMG he had such a loud bark I could feel his bark. Sudie she doesn't bark at all which I find strange. I've head that most bassets LOVE to bark, I guess she's a little shy!

It's Sweetheart typing:

Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! BASSSSSSSSET HOUNDS! I love them to death! They are sooo adorable, I don't know how to live without them! I had a basset hound dog before, but my parents had to give her up to other family due by, vet bill too high plus I live in Washington State(they live in Michigan) and my apt only allow below than 25 lbs, shes more than 35 lbs(60 lbs due by depression). Actually, she's Baseet Hound and Beagle mixed. So, I do have a million pictures of her, let me post one picture of her. Here it is;

Melaniespics021.jpg

Her name is Lucy, she will be 5 years old this November 25th.

Melaniespics018.jpg

She's growling at me because she truly hate camera that I take pictures of her

Melaniespics012.jpg

She's actually whine at me when I took a picture of her.

So cute! I have some more pictures of mine too but I am sick and tired of having to paste the url from photobucket instead of just copying and pasting the pictures!!

They make really great dogs, here's the website I got sudie from, BHRG.ORG

Jas.

It's Sweetheart typing:

Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! BASSSSSSSSET HOUNDS! I love them to death! They are sooo adorable, I don't know how to live without them! I had a basset hound dog before, but my parents had to give her up to other family due by, vet bill too high plus I live in Washington State(they live in Michigan) and my apt only allow below than 25 lbs, shes more than 35 lbs(60 lbs due by depression). Actually, she's Baseet Hound and Beagle mixed. So, I do have a million pictures of her, let me post one picture of her. Here it is;

Melaniespics021.jpg

Her name is Lucy, she will be 5 years old this November 25th.

Melaniespics018.jpg

She's growling at me because she truly hate camera that I take pictures of her

Melaniespics012.jpg

She's actually whine at me when I took a picture of her.

In the second of picture: ohhhh I can see thier face start GRRRRRR....must be hate to close take picture?. LOL

Yep, she truly hates pictures being taken. She would growl when she takes picture of her.

OMG!! I was chosen by a "bagle" (1/2 Bassett, 1/2 Beagle) two years ago.
His name is Beaufort (after one of our favorite towns in SC) and he is adorable.
Yeppers! He has a big dog bark! :)

We also have a Black Lab (Sebastian), and my daughters babies - Blonde Cocker Spaniel (Barkley) and Jack Russell (Reggie).

:)

i used to have a basset hound mr fred, he was my grandparent's dog i remmy one time he grabbed me by my undie/diaper, and wanted me to go play with him he scared me for a minute but now he's in doggie heaven i miss him to this day

I used to have bassett hound love him so much his name BO been has him for long time he passed away in 1984 he is 18 yrs old i do miss him very much he is so gentle n sweet dog ever i had now he in doggiez heaven.

I used to live with Basset Hound for a year at my Aunty's. She called this dog "Tramp" and dump him outside 24 hours FULL TIME, on my arrival from England I find it is cruel to leave dogs outside all the time, and I realised he is not intelligent pet, broken house training, barking and disobey your order etc.

When I came home from outings, I hate the look of this dog at wee hour listening to his non-stop BARKING at me!! Why bark at me for?

Anyway one year later, she told me she put him to sleep, because her neighbours complained to the Council about this dog's non-stop barking at all hours. Fair enough.

aww...poor dog.I didn't know bassets were as popular as they seem. It seems like everyone has been around one, or seen one when they were younger!

I think a basset puppy would be....SO CUTE! But they cost an arm and a leg...1,200 to 1,500 for a pure bred akc one...yeow!

I used to have a basset hound, but she died in September of 2007 at the age of 16.9, which is super old for a basset. I still do love basset hounds and I hope to get one as my own dog some day and possibly one that has been abused or has not had the opportunity of having a good home. I would probably look at a basset rescue for that. I am told that next month I am going to a large basset hound gathering to volunteer. I'm not sure what to think of it, but it will be cool to see all of the basset hounds.

When I was born in 1977 My parents had litter of 9 basset puppies and a mother, Sophie. they Were of American types. We kept 2, Penny and Buster (bitch and dog) Penny unfortunately were put down at 6 years old she suffered from fits, the last one was very bad one so we thought it was kinder to let her go. Buster lived to grand old of 15! He was stubborn, and big dog but as I grew up with him I adored him.
Few years later at my boarding school the Night lady who look after us at night times she bred bassets, when I left school she kept in touch with my family. One day my mum had a phone call saying there is one aged 2 and needs home as his orginal family died suddenly. My family went to the breeder's house. there were Freud (his name), very sad, withdrawn, scared. He was supposed to be for my father since he had retired from police force and needs company! Freud followed me around the house at breeder's and my parents said we'll give it a month and see how it goes..... a month later we decided it would be MY dog cos he kept following me! He went everywhere i go, to college and when i first started my job as Racehorse exerciser, he used to run up the gallops then stayed there until we come back from rides, he loved the place. Sadly 6 years ago at the age of 10 years old he was put to sleep due to tumour in his stomach it was so big and the vet couldn't remove due to major veins/arteries. If it was left in he can't eat. I knew before he went to vet's that he won't be coming home I had him on my bed the night before, hugged him all night. His ashes were scattered all over the gallops. I miss him alot. He was an amazing dog, rarely barks, sleeps alot!!.

I would have a basset any time but they are 800 to 1200 pounds per ped puppy. I have my first OWN dog as owner (since leaving family home) he's a Jack russell. I would love to have Basset but they are rare and hard to get hold of, I tried to find a rescue one... there isn't any! My Ex Boarding school night lady had since moved to France and breeds little sausage dogs!

Back in the 1970's, we had a basset. She was a doll! My sister's girl guide leaders bred her and my dad brought her home (without my mom's knowledge as he had habit to do with dogs). She was a great family dog: very tolerant and very long so counch have many hands on her at once! LOL!
Loved to chase the bunnies and had great stamina and could run at steady pace for miles! Our favorite family story was that she would get on the couch beside you, then push her way between you and the couch, eventually bracing her feet against you and pushing you off the couch! At our cottage, she always slept with me to keep me warm! We found out years later that several of our neighbors would leave treats out for her on garbage day so she wouldn't get into the garbage-so she was good at training people too!
Both of her parents were the dogs you see on the Hush Puppy shoe boxes (a Bay brand) Pandora and Brennan. Very nicely bred dogs!

Aroo, woo, woof! Aroo, woo woof, ........ On and on! all night..

They are adorable dogs. but not for me. :)

I had a friend that had one. It droves me and my hearing aids, nuts!!

My basset wasn't a barker. :) She was a whiney old pup and a sucky, but she was our whiney old pup and sucky. :)

Back