Anti-Hearing Aid people?

Happy2BMe

Reaction score
Yesterday I posted on my FB about my Hearing Loss and that I had ordered two BTE Hearing Aids. I was also diagnosed with atresia in my ear canal and BTE will be much more comfortable for me. Plus I won't worry about losing them.

A friend on FB goes 'I work in a hearing clinic, fax me your hearing test' so I'm like 'Why what would be the point?' and she goes 'I'm just wondering why you chose BTE' and I told her that I chose them as a personal comfort for me physically and that I had atresia. And she tells me 'ok........ I just wanted to make sure you weren't getting something you didn't NEED' and I kind of ':roll:' at her and told her 'This isn't my first audiologist appointment and not my first pair of HAs. And she snottily said 'ok.... what ever'

So I defaced her and found out from her friend that she is ANTI Hearing Aid :eek3: Actually to be more blunt she's anti 'any hearing aid that you can see and says that you have hearing problems' I'm shocked. I've NEVER heard of such a thing!

because ppl are vain! my hearing aids are zebra striped with black and white ear molds! idc who sees them!

because ppl are vain! my hearing aids are zebra striped with black and white ear molds! idc who sees them!

My new HAs are 1 pink 1 blue with baby pink moulds. I thought I wanted something pretty this time :giggle:

Well there is a segment of the deaf population who disapproves and think you too hearing minded if you wear HA, but I don't think that is what you mean.

Well there is a segment of the deaf population who disapproves and think you too hearing minded if you wear HA, but I don't think that is what you mean.

Well I can understand that from their pov. But this is a fully hearing person who works as a receptionist in a Hearing Clinic. I wonder if she has a dislike of all hoh/deaf people? :( Very sad

I have a few hearing relatives who think hearing aids make you more deaf than you really are (That it can cause hearing damage). She could be more anti-ripoff audiologist and doesn't trust any of them.

Last edited:
Yea, I knew a few hearing people who thought HAs serve no purpose and that I shouldnt wear them. Very very few..

It is kinda strange.

Bottesini said:

Following on this, there's the segment of hearing people that are against any visible signs of hearing loss. You know, the kind of people that say things like "You would be so pretty if you didn't have those things in your ears."

:whistle:

Oh I bet I know. The dinky aids cost more money. So of course the receptioniest would want people to opt for those.

Following on this, there's the segment of hearing people that are against any visible signs of hearing loss. You know, the kind of people that say things like "You would be so pretty if you didn't have those things in your ears."

:whistle:

:lol: There are weird people in every demographic!

Based solely on the OP ...

She may have just meant that you may have the option for a different style of HA - such as a CIC, ITE etc rather than a BTE.

In my case, although my hearing loss in my aided ear is mild/mod meaning I could use a CIC or ITE etc aid - I personally liked the BTE better for comfort, and extras (DAI connection etc). The BTW also allowed me to get a better HA at a slightly lower price (larger HA cost less than smaller ones because the electronics are more costly the smaller they are).

My Audie asked a few times to make sure that I really wanted to go with the BTE without trying anything smaller first ... so perhaps this is what the FB friend meant (ie that their might be a smaller HA that would still be "suitable for your hearing loss".)

Keep in mind that some people are shy about getting a hearing aid - and want to "hide" the fact that they are Hoh/deaf as well as that they have hearing aids as much as possible ... I'm guessing your FB friend just thought you might want something smaller and the place you went to told you it "wasn't possible" and she wanted to make sure you knew all your options.

For what it's worth - I LOVE my BTE and think that in many cases they're actually less visible than CIC and ITE aids - if you WANT it to be... but also has the advantage of being able to be made fun and more visible by adding things like coloured ear moulds, BTE covers (SuperSeals or cloth covers) etc :)

I don't think the FB friend was being "anti-HA" or saying that you didn't need hearing aids - rather that they wanted to make sure you knew all your options **shrug**

Who cares about hiding the hearing aid? It's more obvious if you're HOH and don't have enough power in your tiny aid to follow a spoken conversation than if you have a bigger one and follow a spoken conversation pretty well. So looks shouldn't matter in the case of a HA. Not to mention, if you have to wear it everyday, you SHOULD be allowed to decorate it, bedazzle it, make it zebra striped. Seriously.

I've had a person tell me he thought I was beautiful, but he didn't want to date someone with things in their ears. I told him I didn't want to date someone so easily shamed and vain. Those people are a waste of your time.

I've never heard of a hearing person anti-HA for any other reasons besides the look of it though. Strange stories you guys have...

Who cares about hiding the hearing aid? It's more obvious if you're HOH and don't have enough power in your tiny aid to follow a spoken conversation than if you have a bigger one and follow a spoken conversation pretty well. So looks shouldn't matter in the case of a HA. Not to mention, if you have to wear it everyday, you SHOULD be allowed to decorate it, bedazzle it, make it zebra striped. Seriously.

I've had a person tell me he thought I was beautiful, but he didn't want to date someone with things in their ears. I told him I didn't want to date someone so easily shamed and vain. Those people are a waste of your time.

I've never heard of a hearing person anti-HA for any other reasons besides the look of it though. Strange stories you guys have...

:gpost:

I've had family act weird about my cane and I just want to say "I'm blind, it's reality, what's to hide." And HA's are even smaller than canes. I never got what the big deal is. If anything, missing conversations and running into objects is more embarrassing than having a cane or HA. :roll:

Yea, I knew a few hearing people who thought HAs serve no purpose and that I shouldnt wear them. Very very few..

It is kinda strange.

Some people do not know what they're talking about! I would be lost with my HA. And I love to hear the birds when I am outside , my HA allow me to do this. And most of all I can hear my grandchild talking to me and that is priceless!

I am wondering if there will be more anti-hearing aid people out there due to CIs? Like people will say CIs are better and HAs are worthless?

Back