Anthony Bourdain thinks we are required to take Home EC.

Beach Girl, do u mean me?

if so, I was actually vegan in college but through time it didn't work out so well as I went to college in a very small, conservative hunting town and the kitchen staff thought it bizarre if you asked for meatless spaghetti sauce, let alone anything more than that. But there was a little health food co-op there in town, too, that I went to sometimes.

So, no, can't say I'm either vegetarian or vegan now but what I do is - whole-foods, plant-based diet, no dairy, generally no red meat or pork. Very occasionally IF my mom makes a Jewish meal or other home-made dish that may have some beef in it, for example, I'll take a bit and eat it over the course of several days, because that is something special that she's made. She gets her meat at local markets from a local farmer whose cattle are grass-fed. Emphasis on whole grains like oats and quinoa, brown rice < as opposed to commercial "whole wheat" which is often really white flour with a little whole grain flour mixed in and lots of refined sugar, oil and other things to make it conserve well on the shelf>, also flax, seeds, nut and beans, eggs from pastured hens. Lots and lots of veggies and fruit like apples, eat raw food about half the time. No refined sugar except occasionally in a commercial dessert maybe, which I generally only take a tiny portion of < as opposed to a whole slice or "square" of something>. And/or share with someone if it's a bit bigger than that. Also sprouted grains and wild salmon, other sustainable seafood.

Yes it was to you, and wow, I admire your diet. I have never been able to be that strict with myself.

We don't eat very much red meat, but certainly can't say it's eliminated from our diet. I love yogurt, ice cream, cream in my coffee, so have never tried to eliminate dairy, either. We eat a lot of fish and shellfish in the summer, less so in the winter. We do eat a good amount of fresh fruits and veggies, but probably not as much as we really should be.

:ty: Beach Girl
I have never liked meat very much and while I love cheese, I've always had dairy allergies so I grew up having a dairy restriction anyway. I gave up veal in high school and most red meat shortly after. I grew up eating a lot of fruit and veggies as my folks have always enjoyed salads and often had things like broccoli and cauliflower as part of dinner. I have found it can be very hard to sometimes for me to eat as much I would veggies as I'd like - the daily minimum recommendation for an adult is about 5 servings but the ideal is 7-9; I usually try to have more than the ideal in the way of additional things like veggie juice and tomato sauce - I've always loved tomatoes - but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Eating out at someplace like Pandera or Subway, I generally order a salad and /or small whole grain sandwich minus mayo and cheese, with as many extra veggies as possible and moderate of protein. Avoid "burger-joint" places, order things like sauce/dressing on the side so I control portions. I ask for ingredients in restaurants and where the fish is from.

I enjoy eating healthier and working out.

:ty: Beach Girl
I have never liked meat very much and while I love cheese, I've always had dairy allergies so I grew up having a dairy restriction anyway. I gave up veal in high school and most red meat shortly after. I grew up eating a lot of fruit and veggies as my folks have always enjoyed salads and often had things like broccoli and cauliflower as part of dinner. I have found it can be very hard to sometimes for me to eat as much I would veggies as I'd like - the daily minimum recommendation for an adult is about 5 servings but the ideal is 7-9; I usually try to have more than the ideal in the way of additional things like veggie juice and tomato sauce - I've always loved tomatoes - but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Eating out at someplace like Pandera or Subway, I generally order a salad and /or small whole grain sandwich minus mayo and cheese, with as many extra veggies as possible and moderate of protein. Avoid "burger-joint" places, order things like sauce/dressing on the side so I control portions. I ask for ingredients in restaurants and where the fish is from.

I enjoy eating healthier and working out.

Pandera is one of my favorites but when I checked the carb count on a lot of the food, I realized I would need to limit my choices to either breakfast or to soups. My dietican says i should eat no more than 45 carbs per meals and all the sandwiches exceed that by a good deal.

yes, the breads are often a problem in even places like Panera. Often when I order a sandwich I take the top portion of bread off and have just the inside ingredients and bottom bread slice. The Subway breads are a bit better in that respect though the degree of refined carbs can still be an issue. If I have a sandwich at Panera, I then may limit the rest of the grainy carb intake for the day.
I also really like the low-fat black bean soup but the problem with even low-fat or vegetarian soups most places is their sodium content.

Back