Another way to do "Sound Training"

RonJaxon

Reaction score
For those of you who don't have a CI or are considering getting one. You should know that it's not something that's going to happen over night. When the CI is activated it won't be turned up all the way right off the bat. You'll go in for a serious of mappings to adjust the settings a little louder over time. You should also know that things will probably sound a little strange at first but things will start to sound a little clearer and more natural over time.

During this time you'll have to do "Hearing Training". Basically you have to relearn (Or learn) to identify sounds. At first I could hear things but I couldn't always tell what I was hearing. I can now but it took a while to get to this point.

So, here's a few ways I've been doing the sound training.

First, my Nucleus 5 came with a software called Sound and way beyond.

Listen to audio books as you read the same story. So you're hearing someone speak what you are reading.

And finally the latest one I've been doing. My iPhone IOS has a setting called "VoiceOver". You can find it in Settings/General/Accessibility the turn VoiceOver on. BUT BEFORE YOU TRY IT READ BELOW!!

The VoiceOver a setting that's basically intended for the blind. It reads what's on your screen and what your finger is over. So it'll take a while to get use to controlling the phone with this setting turned on. This can make it confusing to know how to turn it off. SO before you turn it on I suggest you change a setting on your iPhone so to turn the voiceover on and off all you got to to is push your home button 3 times. To do this go to Settings/General/Accessibility and at the bottom set the "Triple-click Home" to "Toggle Voiceover".

So when Voiceover is on you can listen/read what's on your screen. This includes PDF's, Websites, blogs, just about any text that's on your screen. So you can listen as you read.

Just thought I'd share those methods.

Ron Jaxon

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I will try to use the voice over on my iPad when I get my second CI switch on.

I have the sound and way beyond and have been using it everyday. I like the idea of the audio book So i will have to try that soon. I have a droid X I'll have to see if it has that function... Thanks for the info. :)

Back