Another reason why Deaf Schools aren't exactly high acheiving?

:thumb: on sucessful deaf role models for the deaf kids!

Actually, poverty does impact the academic achievement levels for all children, but there is a variable that is not being considered here. Most economically disadvantaged kids are hearing and they attend public school. The classrooms are overcrowded and there is not sufficient time to devote to single students. Additionally, an impoverished home is not likely to be one that accentuates a learning environment. Toys that help with development are not purchased, there are very few books or reading materials in the home, the parents are likely to be a high school drop out or barely graduated themselves and therefore, do not value or stress education, and do not encourage academic achievement in their children.

Of course this is not true for ALL economically challenged homes, but it is true for a majority of them.

When we use statistics to support a point, we have to use all of the variables that could have accounted for the findings and not just blame on thing. Don't look so much at the school as at everything in that child's environment. It all has an impact.

While I agree with this in general...

I do want to point out that if somebody took time with that child and encouraged them, who knows what they might achieve. I think of Benjamin Carson the neurosurgeon from John Hopkins. Very inspiring story.

Thanks to this thread, I'm digging through boxes and boxes to find a particular book that's marked - lol.

It says in this book (which is research-based), whenever I find it, that even kids who are placed in the economic disadvantage and with NO parental support at home, they still can have high success rate if the classroom is enriched and meets their educational needs. I will look for it because it's really inspiring for me as a teacher.

they still can have high success rate if the classroom is enriched and meets their educational needs.
Yeah, that's the theory behind all those specialized academies and classrooms in places like Harlem.

I think all deaf children should meet deaf adults. They dont have to click with them but know that there are successful deaf adults out there.
Yes, although even within the deaf, it doesn't have to be just from a "Deaf to Deaf" perspective, it could also be from a "deaf to deaf" or even "CI to CI"'s as well.

Thanks to this thread, I'm digging through boxes and boxes to find a particular book that's marked - lol.

It says in this book (which is research-based), whenever I find it, that even kids who are placed in the economic disadvantage and with NO parental support at home, they still can have high success rate if the classroom is enriched and meets their educational needs. I will look for it because it's really inspiring for me as a teacher.

Excuse me for going off the point abit..... I numbered my boxes and file the titles along with their number on the box in my database. Less digging that way. :)

While I agree with this in general...

I do want to point out that if somebody took time with that child and encouraged them, who knows what they might achieve. I think of Benjamin Carson the neurosurgeon from John Hopkins. Very inspiring story.

Oh, absolutely. It is a matter of changing the impact of the negative environmental influences.

Well, that's kind of my point. That there are overlaps when it comes to role modeling.

The ones that have not had the experience of Deaf mentorship are not overlapping. They are using the only examples they have been exposed to: hearing.

The ones that have not had the experience of Deaf mentorship are not overlapping. They are using the only examples they have been exposed to: hearing.
You could also kind of say the same. That the ones that have not had the experience of deaf or CI mentorship are not overlapping either.

You could also kind of say the same. That the ones that have not had the experience of deaf or CI mentorship are not overlapping either.

You could say the same thing...but you would be wrong for a number of reasons.

Back