Another question to all Interpreters. pls help

Robo-Terp

Reaction score
Sorry guys. One more for yous. In a VRS setting, where you have no audio, just visual, what strategies do you use when you interpret for Deaf callers who might sign a couple signs, but mouth something totally different. Know what I mean? Like, they may sign CONTINUE, but mouth "progression". Now, I know they don't intend to use the word "continue", but because I can't lip-read well, it's the only word I can use to interpret that sign. But let's say the Deaf caller is a doctor, and with enough of these type of instances where I'm using glossed words to interpret his/her signs, they end up sounding stupid. EEK! Not my intention. Any suggestions???

Why are you using glossed words? That's not proper voicing technique. Like you said, using gloss sounds stupid (or at the very least unnatural).

Maybe you need more practice with your sign-to-voice skills?

You should be voicing with a vocabulary that fits the signer's tone, degree of formality, age, sex, and subject matter.

Agree with Reba. You need to match your consumer. I don't know which company you work for, but never be afraid to call a team. I know some companies discourage it, but if you need a team, you should call one!

:);)
Why are you using glossed words? That's not proper voicing technique. Like you said, using gloss sounds stupid (or at the very least unnatural).

Maybe you need more practice with your sign-to-voice skills?

You should be voicing with a vocabulary that fits the signer's tone, degree of formality, age, sex, and subject matter.

The way I see it, it's the lesser of two evils. See, I know they don't intend to say CONTINUE because they're mouthing a word that does not look like "continue". And I get consumers like this a lot, plus multiply this example by a hundred and you get the idea. Problem is, I can't pick up on that word they're mouthing, so the choices are...do I interrupt the interaction and ask the Deaf caller what word they are mouthing or do I use the glossed word. Reba, I agree with you too. I honestly hate using glossed word interpretations for signs. My AEIP instructor told me one time, "There's no such thing as a bad interpretation. There's are none, good, better, and best interpretations." Glossed words, if used throughout an entire interpretation would probably be something below "good", but in a lot of incidences, wouldn't necessarily be inaccurate. For the record colleagues, my goal is always to do the "best" interpretation. :)

The way I see it, it's the lesser of two evils. See, I know they don't intend to say CONTINUE because they're mouthing a word that does not look like "continue". And I get consumers like this a lot, plus multiply this example by a hundred and you get the idea. Problem is, I can't pick up on that word they're mouthing, so the choices are...do I interrupt the interaction and ask the Deaf caller what word they are mouthing or do I use the glossed word.
You interpret the signs using spoken English that sound appropriate. You don't depend on lipreading (deaf consumers don't necessarily mouth the most appropriate English word for the utterance), and you don't gloss (you aren't interpreting a dictionary but a living conversation).

Use the English vocabulary that best fits the conversation. If that client was hearing, how would he or she be wording that statement?

That being said, of course you don't fall apart if you happen to gloss a phrase. Just move on without making a big deal about it. Make a correction only if the uncorrected mistake could cause a misunderstanding.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. I don't mean to be. I fully understand the pressures of time constraints that can push one to "perform or else." :hug:

Reba, I agree with you too. I honestly hate using glossed word interpretations for signs. My AEIP instructor told me one time, "There's no such thing as a bad interpretation. There's are none, good, better, and best interpretations."
There is no such thing as a "perfect" interpretation because there's always more than one way to interpret something and still be correct. However, I hate to say this, there is such a thing as a bad interpretation. If either party misunderstands the content or tone of the message, it can have negative results.

Glossed words, if used throughout an entire interpretation would probably be something below "good", but in a lot of incidences, wouldn't necessarily be inaccurate. For the record colleagues, my goal is always to do the "best" interpretation. :)
We do have to strive to do better than merely being not inaccurate. :)

There is no such thing as a "perfect" interpretation because there's always more than one way to interpret something and still be correct. However, I hate to say this, there is such a thing as a bad interpretation. If either party misunderstands the content or tone of the message, it can have negative results.

We do have to strive to do better than merely being not inaccurate. :)

As a hoh/Deaf person I totally agree with this Reba!!
While there's no "perfect" interpretation ("very accurate & easily understood by all persons involved" should be the "ideal goal")

There certainly ARE situations where the interpretation can be "bad" ... and sometimes it is so bad that "no interpreter" would actaully be better ! (I've experienced a few of these ... one of which was nothing short of "disastrous" and could have cost me my final exam in a university course). At least if there is no interpreter everyone is AWARE that there is a communication issue that needs to be addressed, where as if you have a bad interpreter it's possible that at least one "side" (voicers or signers) may be completely unaware there even is a problem !

Robo-Terp, Don't take this personally, becasue it's not how I intended it at all....

To be entirely honest your AEIP instructor did you, your classmates and ASL users in general a huge disservice with the comment that there is no such thing as "bad interpretation" - because regardless of how it was intended what is SAYS is "any job is better than nothing. It's impossible to do a 'bad job' so don't worry if you don't know the vocabulary or mess up repeatedly" EKKKK
That reeks of a "taking care of the poor deaf people, they should be happy with whatever we can give them" type attitude.

You interpret the signs using spoken English that sound appropriate. You don't depend on lipreading (deaf consumers don't necessarily mouth the most appropriate English word for the utterance)
What if your Deaf consumer (caller in my case) says, "Sign exactly what I say!!!" I've had this before, more than once. I call it "forced lipreading", lol. Because if you don't choose the exact english word they're thinking about, they get very angry!

and you don't gloss (you aren't interpreting a dictionary but a living conversation).
Reba, no one has every said it to me this clearly. Thanks. LoL, you're right. I'm not interpreting the dictionary.

Use the English vocabulary that best fits the conversation. If that client was hearing, how would he or she be wording that statement?

That being said, of course you don't fall apart if you happen to gloss a phrase. Just move on without making a big deal about it. Make a correction only if the uncorrected mistake could cause a misunderstanding.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. I don't mean to be. I fully understand the pressures of time constraints that can push one to "perform or else." :hug:
No offence taken. I'm actually quite fortunate you answered this thread. I've read your other posts and I knew you as a voice of reason in this forum. In fact, I was hoping you would answer it, and you did. Thank. :ty:

However, I hate to say this, there is such a thing as a bad interpretation. If either party misunderstands the content or tone of the message, it can have negative results.
hmm.. I wonder now what my instructor's intent was in saying good better best. I know its true that interpretations can vary from weak to strong. My instructor would never let us say that we did a bad job. Maybe that's what he was refering to when he said there aren't any bad interpretations. My AEIP environment had to be "safe", in that there would be no risk of really harming anyone with an inaccurate interpretation. It was only until I got out in the 'real world', made some mistakes (some I'll never make again), and finally learned what my AEIP couldn't teach me.

Perhaps the other poster in the other question thread made hellvua of a suggestion - work on your lag time and apply what reba said here?

What if your Deaf consumer (caller in my case) says, "Sign exactly what I say!!!" I've had this before, more than once. I call it "forced lipreading", lol. Because if you don't choose the exact english word they're thinking about, they get very angry!
I'm confused. If the caller is Deaf, why would he be speaking to you instead of signing? Who's on the other end of the line? Another signer or a hearing person speaking?

If a signer wants specific English words used then he needs to spell the words instead of signing concepts.

You're a terp, not a mind reader. You can't verbalize a word that they're "thinking about." :lol:

hmm.. I wonder now what my instructor's intent was in saying good better best. I know its true that interpretations can vary from weak to strong. My instructor would never let us say that we did a bad job. Maybe that's what he was refering to when he said there aren't any bad interpretations. My AEIP environment had to be "safe", in that there would be no risk of really harming anyone with an inaccurate interpretation. It was only until I got out in the 'real world', made some mistakes (some I'll never make again), and finally learned what my AEIP couldn't teach me.
Perhaps your instructor was trying to be encouraging. :dunno:

Perhaps the other poster in the other question thread made hellvua of a suggestion - work on your lag time and apply what reba said here?
Yes, the other thread included excellent suggestions, especially about the lag time.

I'm confused. If the caller is Deaf, why would he be speaking to you instead of signing? Who's on the other end of the line? Another signer or a hearing person speaking?
They're mouthing the word they wish to use. I'm not an excellent lip-reader, so I end up asking them for clarification.

Can I just be suuuuuuper nitpicky and off-topic? :o Understanding an ASL signer's mouth movements isn't "lipreading" - that is a specific technique of understanding a whole conversation based on visual cues from the mouth, face, and rest of body, as well as contextual understanding, etc. "Lipreading" (also called speechreading) and "understanding mouthing" are not the same thing. Sorry, but as a novice lipreader trying to develop the skill in the wake of semi-recent hearing loss, I have gotten sensitive to the differences! :o

Can I just be suuuuuuper nitpicky and off-topic? :o Understanding an ASL signer's mouth movements isn't "lipreading" - that is a specific technique of understanding a whole conversation based on visual cues from the mouth, face, and rest of body, as well as contextual understanding, etc. "Lipreading" (also called speechreading) and "understanding mouthing" are not the same thing. Sorry, but as a novice lipreader trying to develop the skill in the wake of semi-recent hearing loss, I have gotten sensitive to the differences! :o
Good points.

"Speechreading" is the correct current term but old habits are hard to break. :giggle:

You aren't at all off topic.

The way I see it, it's the lesser of two evils. See, I know they don't intend to say CONTINUE because they're mouthing a word that does not look like "continue". And I get consumers like this a lot, plus multiply this example by a hundred and you get the idea. Problem is, I can't pick up on that word they're mouthing, so the choices are...do I interrupt the interaction and ask the Deaf caller what word they are mouthing or do I use the glossed word. Reba, I agree with you too. I honestly hate using glossed word interpretations for signs. My AEIP instructor told me one time, "There's no such thing as a bad interpretation. There's are none, good, better, and best interpretations." Glossed words, if used throughout an entire interpretation would probably be something below "good", but in a lot of incidences, wouldn't necessarily be inaccurate. For the record colleagues, my goal is always to do the "best" interpretation. :)

Interpreting is done from one language to another (in your instance, ASL to English). You don't interpret on a lexical level (word-for-word). You interpret an entire concept. So don't get hung up on what English word you're going to use when they sign CONTINUE...you have to understand the entire concept, interpret into an English equivalent that conveys it accurately, and voice that.

For your callers' sake, I REALLY hope you're not glossing. Please tell me you're not glossing.

Interpreting is done from one language to another (in your instance, ASL to English). You don't interpret on a lexical level (word-for-word). You interpret an entire concept. So don't get hung up on what English word you're going to use when they sign CONTINUE...you have to understand the entire concept, interpret into an English equivalent that conveys it accurately, and voice that.

For your callers' sake, I REALLY hope you're not glossing. Please tell me you're not glossing.

My goodness boy, give me a break. lol. I'm only a couple years into this. My goal is to not gloss, absolutely. And I will CONSTANTLY work on that goal, till the day I die even. :D

As for your advice, thanks for providing it. But it's still a dilemma for me... here's why. I've had callers complain that I am not "saying exactly what they sign". For real! In fact, some callers will start by saying, "Say exactly what I sign!" So then it becomes word-for-word, and the minute you miss what they are wanting to say, you get lamb-basted. I totally get that I need to sign the concept, not the words. (Nancy Frishberg's article "I understood all the words but I missed the point" is an excellent resource).

My goodness boy, give me a break. lol. I'm only a couple years into this. My goal is to not gloss, absolutely. And I will CONSTANTLY work on that goal, till the day I die even. :D QUOTE/

If it is gonna be "till the day you die", why bother? :lol: J/K Best wishes on your journey....

So don't get hung up on what English word you're going to use when they sign CONTINUE...you have to understand the entire concept,
You missed the point I think. It's not about me getting hung up on what english word to use. It's the Deaf consumer prefering to use a specific english word for the sign they've given, and how I know they're prefering this particular english word is by seeing they've mouthed it.

My goodness boy, give me a break. lol. I'm only a couple years into this. My goal is to not gloss, absolutely. And I will CONSTANTLY work on that goal, till the day I die even. :D

As for your advice, thanks for providing it. But it's still a dilemma for me... here's why. I've had callers complain that I am not "saying exactly what they sign". For real! In fact, some callers will start by saying, "Say exactly what I sign!" So then it becomes word-for-word, and the minute you miss what they are wanting to say, you get lamb-basted. I totally get that I need to sign the concept, not the words. (Nancy Frishberg's article "I understood all the words but I missed the point" is an excellent resource).
What is your interpreting educational background and work experience? (No names of specific places, just the types and length of experience.) Do you socialize with any deaf people?

What is your interpreting educational background and work experience? (No names of specific places, just the types and length of experience.) Do you socialize with any deaf people?
I've worked in many settings already. Freelance, and VRS. Graduated 2 1/2 years ago, but I've been signing for many more years before that. My wife is Deaf and yes, I socialize.

Lamb-basted?! *giggles*

Interpreting should never be word-for-word, regardless of what the caller tells you. That's glossing. That's not what they want. They want you to interpret everything they are saying into proper English.

If the caller complains that you did something wrong, you have two choices. Either you pause and explain the interpreting process to them - sometimes they are either ahead of or behind what you're saying in English, due to the differences in word order - or you just accept their correction, voice it, and move on.

You shouldn't let this worry you so much! Take criticism constructively - that's what you're here for, right?

Back