Another Poll

That link just takes us to the results of the poll, not the poll itself?

Very interesting. I do lip-read, but it is not always accurate for me. I frequently misunderstand people by just lip-reading them. :( Writing back and forth is another way I use, but sometimes it leads into misunderstanding, because of the words' meanings. I do not know all the meanings of one word, sometimes. So sign language is the best way for me to follow and "stay on the track."

ChelEler, I'm curious - when you read English (such as this message board) do you "see" all the words in ASL in your head? When I read words I "hear" the words as if they were spoken.

neecy said:
ChelEler, I'm curious - when you read English (such as this message board) do you "see" all the words in ASL in your head? When I read words I "hear" the words as if they were spoken.
Excuse me, the answer is in this thread. If it's not the answer you are looking for, PM me the details. I would gladly answer your questions. :thumb:

ChelEler said:
Very interesting. I do lip-read, but it is not always accurate for me. I frequently misunderstand people by just lip-reading them. :( Writing back and forth is another way I use, but sometimes it leads into misunderstanding, because of the words' meanings. I do not know all the meanings of one word, sometimes. So sign language is the best way for me to follow and "stay on the track."

The idea was to really show that very few in fact can or do rely entirely on sign-language (If they did, they wouldn't be here for a start !), but use multi-means to find their way around the world. It was partially in response to one UK (BBC) poll which declared sign-language is all a deaf person needs or uses, it was quite a blanket statement. I think this was over the top political correctness, as well as being basically inaccurate. Sign language access to media in the UK is only deemed 2-5% viable, captions/titling near 100%, and there isn't any real demand for it. I think the deaf community has reached the top of the hill regarding sign access claims, and realism has shown itself. Not mainstream blockage here, no, real DEMAND for it. SEE HEAR the UK's premier deaf program, suggested sign-only access, and were told in no uncertain terms, no titling, no viewers....

This poll brings a memory back to me. Let me tell you a true story about my memory.

In my HS English class, I was required to write a 5-page essay about whether I want to be rescued from an isolated island or not. Well, that word "rescued" was not taught to me clearly, because I didn't know that it meant until after the teacher explained to me. I felt so damn embarressed!! I wrote the essay about me fighting against some kinds of monsters. HA! Yeah I did have a wild imagination when I was in HS. The teacher meant that someone flying an helicopter or plane to the island to take me away back home. :duh:

Sorry if I'm going off the topic here.

Your teacher appears quite perceptive ! Many view the deaf world as an 'Island', some view it a prison like alcatraz ! Perhaps she was really asking do you want to face the world ? or stay where you feel free or 'safe' ? what 'communication' or 'means' would you think you need to 'escape' this 'Deaf Island' ? The answer was in the mode used to respond, you being literate enough to write the essay !

Back