Another newbie

Mamaqs4

Reaction score
I am 29, living in MD. Single mom of 4. Hearing

I have always wanted to learn ASL to the point that I could carry on a conversation. Right now I only know a few phrases and several signs for foods, animals and feelings. This week I started studying it more.

I taught my first 2 children baby signing but I had to stop eventually because my son wouldn't speak. He was 2 when he said his 1st word. He had to take speech for many years so I decided not to teach my other children after that. Now they are 3,5,7 and 9 so I think they can handle it now.

Anyway, I recently started dating a man in my small town and he is deaf. He is teaching me and I am teaching my kids again. They love it.

I had to look up several different sites before finding this one. I just want to know what it is like to be in a deaf/ hearing relationship. So far it hasn't been a big deal. I did have a friend that had a deaf mom and I also had a blind friend in High School so it's not a culture shock.

I just don't know what to expect if we were to become more serious. I welcome any insight on this subject. Your own personally experiences from either point of view would be very helpful.

Thank you

Welcome. Brace yourself, but the horrible secret is deaf men cannot take romance further than hand-holding and kissing. I don't know if deaf women can go past that point, as it's never come up in my experience.

Just kiddin'; can't ya take joke?

Good luck with you and your family learning sign wih your very lucky deafie boyfriend.

Hello and :welcome: to AD! Hope you will enjoy posting in whatever interests you and also hope you will be fluent in sign in no time. :)

Welcome. Brace yourself, but the horrible secret is deaf men cannot take romance further than hand-holding and kissing. I don't know if deaf women can go past that point, as it's never come up in my experience.

Just kiddin'; can't ya take joke?

Good luck with you and your family learning sign wih your very lucky deafie boyfriend.

I was gonna say that I beg to differ because, this guy has 6 kids so he has definitely gone beyond the hand- holding stage. I thank you for the humor though. I look forward in getting to know ppl in this forum.

Hello!

Welcome to AllDeaf.com
You will join it. Enjoy your stay. Have a FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum, mamaqs4. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

Back