Another Newbie Thread

Tujae

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a CODA (child of Deaf adult). I live in America. I am currently 26 years old. I am female.

I look forward to meeting you all. :wave:

Welcome to AllDeaf!! :wave:

I don't know that we have too many CODA's around and we'd love to have you stay. We have a LOT of debates and quirkiness, but we are all mostly loveable.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Please to meet you. Just have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Awesome! I d love to have more CODA here. So I hope to see your POV as a childhood with deaf adults.

Welcome!.

me too. I have a hearing child too. I was starting to feel that CODA don't want to have anything to do with us.

Awesome! I d love to have more CODA here. So I hope to see your POV as a childhood with deaf adults.

Welcome!.
Well I was the only hearing person to grow up in a Deaf house with my mom, my older brother, and my younger brother (who are all Deaf). My grandmother was oral-deaf. All three of my grandmother's kids were Deaf or hard-of-hearing. I was the only hearing for three generations (until two years ago).

Generally I wish I had ASL classes when I was a kid. Everyone was so focused on me being "normal" that I was sent to speech therapists and audiologists. I was very naive so I never noticed that not everyone signed and not everyone voiced. It didn't matter to me. I didn't know we were "disabled" and that people thought we were dumb. (Even though lots of unfair things happened to us.) I didn't understand why my older brother would get teased.

I got separated from my family when I was nine. I got sent to go live with hearing people who didn't understand about Deaf culture. Now I am not fluent in ASL anymore. It hurts my feelings when my mom signs slowly to me and when she voices to me. I believe that ASL grammar AND English would have allowed me to keep both languages and continue to speak them both fluently.

me too. I have a hearing child too. I was starting to feel that CODA don't want to have anything to do with us.

I can't speak for other CODAs (I don't think I fit in with the others since I lost my language), but I find that it is reverse for me. Deaf people tend to not want anything to do with me because I am hearing. Hearing people don't accept my Deaf heritage because they think that sign language is "strange". I would love to be a part of Deaf culture. However, many Deaf people tend to want me to stay away.

That's my two cents :)

Well I was the only hearing person to grow up in a Deaf house with my mom, my older brother, and my younger brother (who are all Deaf). My grandmother was oral-deaf. All three of my grandmother's kids were Deaf or hard-of-hearing. I was the only hearing for three generations (until two years ago).

Generally I wish I had ASL classes when I was a kid. Everyone was so focused on me being "normal" that I was sent to speech therapists and audiologists. I was very naive so I never noticed that not everyone signed and not everyone voiced. It didn't matter to me. I didn't know we were "disabled" and that people thought we were dumb. (Even though lots of unfair things happened to us.) I didn't understand why my older brother would get teased.

I got separated from my family when I was nine. I got sent to go live with hearing people who didn't understand about Deaf culture. Now I am not fluent in ASL anymore. It hurts my feelings when my mom signs slowly to me and when she voices to me. I believe that ASL grammar AND English would have allowed me to keep both languages and continue to speak them both fluently.

That's my two cents :)

Thank you for sharing it. It shows that you have interests in interacting with deaf people and the deaf culture I see that you have some quite experence in I feel it's never too late to re-learn ASL through people or classes. I hope you will find some interesting threads here that might relates with your past experience.

:)

Thank you for sharing it. It shows that you have interests in interacting with deaf people and the deaf culture I see that you have some quite experence in I feel it's never too late to re-learn ASL through people or classes. I hope you will find some interesting threads here that might relates with your past experience.

:)

It is very true that it is never too late to learn ASL again. That is sad that the Deaf family had to be in taboo about hiding the deafness from the hearing world. It was not fair at all. It is absolutely discrimination and very hurtful not getting our own sign language in the Deaf family. I hope you can bring peace to your family by introducing them back into the sign language like ASL. You are welcome to discuss and debate here. :thumb: :cool2:

It is very true that it is never too late to learn ASL again. That is sad that the Deaf family had to be in taboo about hiding the deafness from the hearing world. It was not fair at all. It is absolutely discrimination and very hurtful not getting our own sign language in the Deaf family. I hope you can bring peace to your family by introducing them back into the sign language like ASL. You are welcome to discuss and debate here. :thumb: :cool2:

Oh, let me clarify. My Deaf family all use sign language (except for my grandmother... she never was able to get a decent education). When I was nine years old I was separated from my Deaf family and I went to go live with hearing people. That's why I don't remember sign language. That is why my mom signs slowly to me :)

My mom wanted me to be able to fit into the hearing world. I already knew how to use sign language so she didn't feel that it was important to send me to an ASL class. I think it would've been cool if I took ASL classes though... but I doubt that would've been possible back then anyway :\

Thank you all for your welcomes! I hope to meet lots of people at the DeafNation Expo in Las Vegas this year :)

Welcome to AD

Hope to meet you at Deafnation in Las Vegas!

Have fun with ASL and also have fun hanging out here with us. ;)

Cheers

Iam sure that you probably pick up ASL fast when you meet other deaf people at the deafnation expo in LV.

Too bad that I won't make it to attend in LV. Iam in the east coast. =)

have fun there.

Back