Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

I go to a hearing school, and kids that don't know me like to make fun of me behind my back. I'm really good at reading lips, so I take out my iPod and headphones, tune it to the song with the most bass, and tell them to listen to it and try to talk to everyone. They instantly understand.
I love doing that.

Great idea! I once did an introduction lecture with a radio blasting (actually several radios blasting). At the end of the into I turned them all off and ask the audience how much they understood. I then continued with my lecture. It worked great! Funny how I never thought to use your method.

I noticed the thing with the headphones too. I was listening to something in my cafeteria, and couldn't hear either of my friends, or any other conversation. It was interesting. I figured out that I'm better at reading lips than I thought I was, too.

Years ago, some deaf friends & I were in a restaurant having coffee when I heard these 2 elderly Ladies talking about us deef & dumb people. immediately I stood up & got everyone's attention & signed to the group at the same time I told the elderly women, "they are deaf not dumb." I think those elderly women wanted to find the nearest hole & hide in it. :lol:

:laugh2: :thumb:

When I say "What?" as in "What did you say?" and hearies respond back sarcastically "What?" and laugh like we're stupid monkeys or something.

Maybe I should just do an over exaggerated sign for "What?" to them.

Oh where do I begin? I'm new here and may get around to the introduction forum, but this thread got my attention first.

When I explain myself the most common response is the joke, "What?" accompanied by laughter.

Doing all the work listening to a person relate a long drawn out joke, only to have the punch line whispered or understated for emphasis. Grrrr.

Explaining myself to every living human being I have contact with. Receiving an absolutely shocked look and refusal to communicate further as if I had insulted them irreparably.

People who say that it is unfair for me to "inflict" myself on the hearing world without presenting the alternative as to where I am supposed to go crawl away and die.

Having high grades in school met with deliberate sabotage and exclusion from study groups.

Working in health care, if I dare to ask a physician to repeat something I did not hear, getting either yelled at for daring "to question" the doctor or subsequently being asked for the "real" person in authority, which unfortunately is still me.

Doing everything in my power to help people, but having them still perceive something isn't quite normal with me, resulting in complaints to the company and loss of jobs for me--even though I go above and beyond requirements and have a superior service record on objective evaluations.

Having had to use a cane for awhile due to a broken knee, and having the general public make way, give concerned attention and patience for the visible need of accommodation--what a change from getting kicked in the teeth for "acting stupid" because deafness is invisible therefore "ok" to persecute at every communication juncture.

People who refuse to work for or under a hard of hearing person. And all the advice the hearies give you about how you just aren't stepping up to the management task due to some incomprehensible lack of character that is indefinable and therefore uncorrectable.

Having school lighting motion sonic detectors turn off my hearing aids and having the hearing aid manufacturer refuse to acknowledge the problem because "our clientele is older and they don't try to go to school."

Finding a balance of emphasizing the need for accommodation without presenting yourself as a danger to the public if you occupy a critical profession.

People, especially those in power, who are so insecure that they are compelled to tease or torture me just to make themselves feel better about themselves.

When working intensive retail and taking phones, communication takes a great deal of concentration and takes a heavy toll on health and peace of mind. When I do get a lunch break, if I get a lunch break, having the inability to get away from people who want to engage me in continued conversation so I cannot concentrate on my meal or get a mental break from work strain. Having this be considered unfriendly and rude.

I could go on and on, but this is it for now. Thanks for the forum to vent.

When I say "What?" as in "What did you say?" and hearies respond back sarcastically "What?" and laugh like we're stupid monkeys or something.

Maybe I should just do an over exaggerated sign for "What?" to them.

Yeah I had same thing. I think it might be hearies think "What" is rude or something. They prefer "Excuse me, can you repeat that please" something like that.

For me it very hard to break "What" habit cos in BSL just sign "What?". I even got hoodie from my friend 'Mr Men and Miss' got 'What?' on it. Lol suits me perfectly!

this is tooooo funny :D

I was out with some friends and this guy started talking to me. I couldn't understand him so I said, "Sorry, I'm deaf. What was that again?"

This idiot started moving his hands as if he was speaking is ASL. But he didn't know ASL. He was just miming like he was signing and I could tell he really thought that's all that ASL was. Just moving the hands in any fashion.

I could have gotten upset or offended. But being an entertainer (Comedy magician) I turned it around on him. A few of my friends where watching this take place so I said out loud:

"Did you see that? This Dude just tried to propose to me!!!"

Lesson learned. When faced with these ignorant people. If possible use humor to put them in their place. Believe me it's better then getting mad.

Ron Jaxon

I only meant to lurk on this thread because it's funny how ridiculous some people are(people in the stories not people posting*) and like steve said you can learn what you shouldn't do. but this story was just toooooo great not to respond!!!!!!! EPIC WIN. YOU ARE AWESOME. ok i'll get out of the way now.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

A women who didn't know I know asl told me that she has a secret sign with her kid that means I love you. I asked her if she knew what it meant in asl. She didn't. I told her that she's signing "huh?" She wasn't amused but I thought it was funny. I can imagine deaf people wondering why they are saying huh? to each other. Some hearies are just no fun. lol

My sister sometimes think texting too slow, so she phone talk my roommate. Point is roommate will sign me what Season say her. 99 out of 100 times, this begin, then two minutes later they just talking. Nobody signing what going on. Rude.

My sister sometimes think texting too slow, so she phone talk my roommate. Point is roommate will sign me what Season say her. 99 out of 100 times, this begin, then two minutes later they just talking. Nobody signing what going on. Rude.

All I can say is (exasperated sigh/annoyed sound here).:roll:

So annoying! Season not even friends Kara (roommate). Just rude.

Sunny, you should refuse to communicate with your sister this way. Tell your roommate to quit taking her calls and tell your sister to stop being rude and, slow or not, text YOU directly.

If you want to have fun with this you could have your roommate sign your sisters messages "wrong" a few times. Your sister will get frustrated and hopefully do the job herself. :D

Yeah I had same thing. I think it might be hearies think "What" is rude or something. They prefer "Excuse me, can you repeat that please" something like that.

For me it very hard to break "What" habit cos in BSL just sign "What?". I even got hoodie from my friend 'Mr Men and Miss' got 'What?' on it. Lol suits me perfectly!

I think it's fine if some people want to use the "excuse me" line. I do it too every once in a long while and I am trying to break THAT habit. I hate having to excuse myself "excuse me...", apologize "sorry, but...", or ask for a favor "please..." every time I miss something (which can be every third word in some cases or every word in worst cases).

Especially if they are ignoring the tips I provided them (don't cover your mouth, don't look away, try to speak clearly at a moderate volume, etc) to make the communication easier/especially when almost everyone makes me do all the work to stay a part of the conversation (my family and extended relatives are no exception)/and especially since I am not intentionally trying to ignore them/selectively hear/etc.

It makes me feel inferior/like a second class citizen (that's how they make me feel). As if I have to be careful or otherwise I would be "imposing" (that's how they act) on those supposedly superior people in order for me to stay included in the conversation. I have not been graced or blest with considerate people and I have rarely met anyone that is considerate in my 28 years on this earth. It gets exhausting being the person who is accommodating everyone else.

I think it's fine if some people want to use the "excuse me" line. I do it too every once in a long while and I am trying to break THAT habit. I hate having to excuse myself "excuse me...", apologize "sorry, but...", or ask for a favor "please..." every time I miss something (which can be every third word in some cases or every word in worst cases).

Especially if they are ignoring the tips I provided them (don't cover your mouth, don't look away, try to speak clearly at a moderate volume, etc) to make the communication easier/especially when almost everyone makes me do all the work to stay a part of the conversation (my family and extended relatives are no exception)/and especially since I am not intentionally trying to ignore them/selectively hear/etc.

It makes me feel inferior/like a second class citizen (that's how they make me feel). As if I have to be careful or otherwise I would be "imposing" (that's how they act) on those supposedly superior people in order for me to stay included in the conversation. I have not been graced or blest with considerate people and I have rarely met anyone that is considerate in my 28 years on this earth. It gets exhausting being the person who is accommodating everyone else.

I used to say "excuse me" and "pardon me" or "sorry?" until I got fed up with excusing or apologizing or asking pardon for my deafness.

My sister attempted to correct me once when I said "what?" to her and I bristled and asked her why should I apologize or excuse myself as if I did something wrong when I'm working very hard to understand them and communicate with them on their terms and they don't put forth even a fraction of the same effort to communicate with me.

I used to say "excuse me" and "pardon me" or "sorry?" until I got fed up with excusing or apologizing or asking pardon for my deafness.

My sister attempted to correct me once when I said "what?" to her and I bristled and asked her why should I apologize or excuse myself as if I did something wrong when I'm working very hard to understand them and communicate with them on their terms and they don't put forth even a fraction of the same effort to communicate with me.

How did she respond to that?

I tell hearing people when I dont understand them "I am lost...u are NOT meeting my communication NEEDS! "

JK...

I dont apologize anymore. In those days when I used to apologize, I would always feel bad about myself like I did something bad. No more...it is all about empowering myself.

When I was in the hospital, my CI was out out of easy reach so when people came in, I couldn't hear their voices.

I got so sick of guessing what they were saying to me that I said to one lady after making a request to write it down please and she kept moving her mouth at me, "If you can not write iit down, please leave."

I don't like to use excuse me and I can't say word "excuse" anyway so that not option for me. I defo don't want to say sorry. What else is there apart from "What?", that why I use that word more than any other word with hearies. They do sometimes feel I am being rude when I am not.

Back