Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Oh! I go dinner party today, most people I know. One girl I don't know. She about 30. Seem nice. Talk to me, my back turned, someone tell her I deaf. Then I pour rum drink, turn face strange girl, she clearly say "she can have alcohol?"

Deaf not alcoholic or child. Sheesh.

Oh! I go dinner party today, most people I know. One girl I don't know. She about 30. Seem nice. Talk to me, my back turned, someone tell her I deaf. Then I pour rum drink, turn face strange girl, she clearly say "she can have alcohol?"

face-palm--large-msg-121345293739.jpg

What about the guy that balked when I said that I'm deaf and that I have an Arkansas drivers license with no restrictions or special endorsements. It is a regular drivers license like all other civilian drivers.

"What? You can drive?!"

:lol: REALLY?!?!

I don't like going to Subway for the whole communications issue, and to top it off I'm just exactly the right height that the sandwich maker's mouth is cut off by the top of the glass so I'm forever saying 'huh?' 'what?' When it's extremely busy, forget it.

Haha I know exactly what you mean!!! If it's a tall person, everything goes well. The times I go *groan* are whenever I see a female Indian. They are quite short and their mouths PERFECTLY align with that top of the glass from my vision (I am also short). Sometimes I squat to see them through the glass. :D

This only occurs when there is a line because I have to wait for the "meat/cheese" or "vegetables" or "dressing" person to be ready. When there is no line (which usually means only 1 person does all of the work), I just go "I want this, that, blah blah, etc."

What?! my god...

Wirelessly posted (droid)

When people did that to my child, I told people why don't you ask him? Tell your friends to do that when she asks them questions about you. Some people are such idiots.

It's kind of awesome how some of the things I read I have in common. I may not be Deaf but I have what they call "word deafness", (CAPD) and I didn't think I'd have somethings in common from how people treat others. But people have some ignorance; and even though I am hearing; I just don't understand or even hear certain words well. People need to learn to treat others with respect.

Today, I ordered a sub @ subway and this bitch was talking loud. She needs to get a fucking clue how to talk to deaf ppl. I'd rather read lips,ya know. After I told her what dressing I wanted,she put dressing on my sub and then she said really loud, is that all?. I know she was enjoying being such a bitch! I wanted to shove my nutsack in her mouth. Gawd, what a rude whore.

I have had issues with subway-I think my post is on this thread somewhere. I have not been back since.

subway boycott! :giggle:

I'm very quiet and yes, b/c of my deafness. I dont talk very much.

My bad for my rude post. Some people seems to enjoy being rude to deaf folks these days. There was a customer next to me.

that woman wasn't being rude to you.. she was trying to accommodate you but didn't know how. help her to help you and you don't need to talk. that's what I did in New Orleans. worked just fine. sometimes not.

I don't think there's a single d/Deaf person on this forum who likes the "I will pray for you" thing. We've all posted about that at some time or another. It feels offensive. It does for me. Maybe because a lot of times the "I will pray for you" is followed by "so you are healed" or "so you can get your hearing back" or something along those lines. Many of us are perfectly happy the way we are and don't need prayers for our hearing or healing. It shouldn't be presumed by anyone that we WANT prayers, so to just say that we will be prayed for feels offensive, whether it has anything to do with deafness or not.

I've read a lot of interesting posts here, but I wanted to comment on this one. By the way, I am not trying to convert anyone; I know some people are sensitive about religious talk. Just my views include religious ones and would not make sense without talking about religion. I believe God has plans for me and one of them was for me to be deaf since birth. There are stories in the Bible where He had people healed including those that were deaf. But sometimes His plans don't include a miraculous "cure", to bring people closer to Him in another way. So instead He gives man what they need to adapt, whether they use it to make technology and surgeries and/or a language and culture. Whatever they chose, that is between them and God and not anybody else (it's when people want to make decisions for other people that I have a problem with). I chose the language and culture and feel that it has brought me closer to who I am meant to be. Since I have made that choice and feel it brought me closer to God, someone saying "I'll pray for you to be hearing" (even when they have good intentions and a good heart) undermines my religious growth. :ugh: But after I try to let them know, I let it go and try not to let it ruin my day. :mrgreen:

I've read a lot of interesting posts here, but I wanted to comment on this one. By the way, I am not trying to convert anyone; I know some people are sensitive about religious talk. Just my views include religious ones and would not make sense without talking about religion. I believe God has plans for me and one of them was for me to be deaf since birth. There are stories in the Bible where He had people healed including those that were deaf. But sometimes His plans don't include a miraculous "cure", to bring people closer to Him in another way. So instead He gives man what they need to adapt, whether they use it to make technology and surgeries and/or a language and culture. Whatever they chose, that is between them and God and not anybody else (it's when people want to make decisions for other people that I have a problem with). I chose the language and culture and feel that it has brought me closer to who I am meant to be. Since I have made that choice and feel it bought me closer to God, someone saying "I'll pray for you to be hearing" (even when they have good intentions and a good heart) undermines my religious growth. :ugh: But after I try to let them know, I let it go and try not to let it ruin my day. :mrgreen:

I like it. I am not that religious, but I do believe in God. I am actually grateful to God that He made me deaf; before I used to be VERY angry with Him for making me deaf, every time i encounter difficulties,I used to blame Him. But now I realize it was probably done for best for me and I am really grateful for making me deaf....and It definitely brought me closer to God. :)

:roll: Strange how we look like everyone else, they treat us like we're hearies and yet, something silly like driving or having a drink and all of a sudden we're from a different planet!!

Why are you deaf people so defensive? I'm a nice hearie. I only want to study you like you're a different species or an interesting specimen. Why won't you let me do that? etc.

Why are you deaf people so defensive? I'm a nice hearie. I only want to study you like you're a different species or an interesting specimen. Why won't you let me do that? etc.

Yes! I leave this thread...can't be nice...leave.

She won't stick around long. Thank the ceiling cat! LOL

Back