Annoying habit when showing someone a language

SimplyKiddo

Reaction score
This probably happens for those who are asked to sign ASL, but I find it a bit annoying when someone knows that you know another language and instead of wanting to learn more about it, expects only learn the bad words/phrases of the language.

This has happened to me quite a bit when people have found out I speak another language and I was just wondering if anyone else encountered the same problem?

(If needed, this thread might need to be moved).

This probably happens for those who are asked to sign ASL, but I find it a bit annoying when someone knows that you know another language and instead of wanting to learn more about it, expects only learn the bad words/phrases of the language.

This has happened to me quite a bit when people have found out I speak another language and I was just wondering if anyone else encountered the same problem?

(If needed, this thread might need to be moved).

Constantly! Once they learn the new naughty words they walk away. Or claim to know sign language and flip the bird. HA HA HA HA NOT! :roll:

yeah I don't know why people only want to learn the bad words in signs or whatever. It's pointless!

yeah I don't know why people only want to learn the bad words in signs or whatever. It's pointless!

yea, it's pretty irksome too. Especially for the younger kids, like the teenagers. They can sometimes be really rude and obnoxious about it too. Too bad they don't realize when they try to use it, that it might get them a nice punch in the face.

I don't teach them such filth. They'll have to either learn the language from bottom-up to know what they want or ask somebody else. :)

If someone only wants to learn the dirty words or crude phrases, teach them something entirely different and tell them its the dirty words. For example, if someone wants to know how to sign "I'm horny" - teach them "I'm stupid" and say it means "I'm horny".

Am I bad or what? :lol:

If someone only wants to learn the dirty words or crude phrases, teach them something entirely different and tell them its the dirty words. For example, if someone wants to know how to sign "I'm horny" - teach them "I'm stupid" and say it means "I'm horny".

Am I bad or what? :lol:

Bad, yes; great idea, yes :D

Sometimes this works the other way around too... I am hearing and speak English; I once had a spanish-speaking friend who thought it was HILARIOUS to teach me the dirtiest things she could think of. When I asked to learn something useful she wasn't as eager to teach. This also happened to me when working with a deaf guy (about 17 years old- so I think that's why), luckily I already had a good knowledge of ASL so I wasn't easily duped :)

I don't teach them such filth. They'll have to either learn the language from bottom-up to know what they want or ask somebody else. :)

Atta, boy. I'm with you on that. Contrary to popular belief, ignorance isn't bliss. :roll:

At the time my cousin was 7 years old and he's hearing. That time is when New Zealand Sign Language become 3rd official language in New Zealand.

My cousin, told me that he knows sign language. So he showed me... I had to chuckles and thought that was so cute. He showed me a Catholic way of praying. :lol:

Of course, I had hearing people asking me to teach them sign language, some are good motivated to learn and few others probably just want to know what is bad/dirty signs. I don't teach them bad/dirty signs language, if they want to know they can ask someone else who is willing to teach them those signs.

I am a hearie. And I have had multiple classes. NEVER was any dirty signs with the exception of 'bisexual' LOL wow how my Prof blushed when I asked that!

Back