And what about those lefties?

juztapax

Reaction score
I've been flipping through sign language 'how to' books since I was a kid, but now that I'm taking signing more seriously it has just now occurred to me.

Being a left-handed person myself, I wonder, is it a really big change to watch someone sign left-handed if you're normally used to right-handed signs? I've always just flipped the signs around by making my left hand my active hand and my right hand my passive hand..

I've been flipping through sign language 'how to' books since I was a kid, but now that I'm taking signing more seriously it has just now occurred to me.

Being a left-handed person myself, I wonder, is it a really big change to watch someone sign left-handed if you're normally used to right-handed signs? I've always just flipped the signs around by making my left hand my active hand and my right hand my passive hand..

No. It's never bothered me at all. Just use the hand you are most comfortable with (for the signs that uses only one hand).

I first learned to sign with my right hand mostly, but my disability affects my right hand. I had to switch to using the left and it was easy as pie. No one ha had any problem understanding me. The only part I had to work at was fingerspelling.

You're correct in making your left hand your dominant signing hand. I've never had a problem understanding lefties; in fact it usually takes me a while to realize that someone is fingerspelling with their left hand or whatever.

Speaking for me I'm a mostly right handed signer. However due to the fact I shattered my elbow many years ago and as a result, I find it difficut to sign certain signs right handed so I'll switch to my left hand for those signs that require me to bend my elbow and touch my shoulder.

I've never had any problem with others despite having to switch hands from time to time.

You're correct in making your left hand your dominant signing hand. I've never had a problem understanding lefties; in fact it usually takes me a while to realize that someone is fingerspelling with their left hand or whatever.
Exactly! I usually don't notice that a signer is a leftie until I see the person use the left hand to write something. Then, I'm like, whoa, you're left-handed?! :lol:

I'm a switcher simply becase I was one of those people froced to be a righty I tend to do a lot with my left hand , I'm also dislexic and yes it afects ASL.

i use right hand but i have an great left handed saying "intruders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" need i say more? muhahahahahahah

I mainly use my left hand for whenever I need to hold my drink, or other things. If I need to make it more clear with my signing then I will use both.

Back