And another newbie...

Nomad

Reaction score
G'day folks from the other half of the world.:bowdown:
Started off in New Zealand, #2 of 6 kids achieved a moderate hearing loss with something, we think maybe mumps, about 3 years old. Wasn't really acted on until I turned 7-8 moved from the South Island to the North Island (to anyone who knows NZ, this almost equates to 2 different countries! I guess a bit like the North and South of America) and met Dad's mate, an audiologist, who gave me my first aid (case & cord type). Apparently I had learned to lip read, which threw everyone off the scent!
Anyways, Mum refused to send me to the deaf school saying I would have to live in the real world eventually, so I'd have to start off living that way. I was the first deaf kid through these schools in the region, so no-one really knew how to deal with me (including the other kids). I did OK at school, but was also a bit isolated, especially at sports times when the aid came off for safety and it turns out everyone wanted to say something to me then. Of course the only sign language any of us knew where just a handful of obscene ones. No courses for that one there! Needless to say, my team sporting ventures were disastrous and I ended up on the sidelines 98% of the time. :eek3: :rl: So I'm no great sporty these days unless they are indivdual pursuits.
I went through high school and in my senior year, I noticed some kids with aids on in the junior levels (I had graduated to an over ear aid by then). But what I did notice, was I couldn't talk to them. Nearly 17 and I'd never met a deaf person before. What do I say? No kidding, I was totally stymied there. So we went on our ways without much more than a quick glance. Even amongst deaf people, I felt I was different and not in a positive way either. I would say that school, even though I did OK academically, was probably one of life's worst experiences for me.
Eventually it was all over and I became an apprentice and went off to work. Great for the first year and things began to unravel slowly for me. I started drinking and mixing with gangs and other anti-social elements and eventually spiralled down in the drug scene for a few years. Eventually made a new mate and we pulled ourselves out of that and ended up in a cult for a while. I left that and met an old friend who was moving to Australia and I followed her over. I had to cut away from my past and start anew. That worked. I have been here many years, still make my mistakes, but have slowly moved forward ever since. On my 2nd marriage now, with 3 great kids.
I have 2 in the ear aids now, but I rarely wear them. When I go to the movies, I still slide down a bit in the seat to hide when I plug them in to listen to the movie. I know it's silly, but it still embrasses me even now to show myself wearing them. I guess I've never quite accepted myself having this disability and no amount of reasoning seems to change it.
I still resent the doors that have been closed to me as a result. I wanted first and foremost to be a pilot in the Air Force. Or in the Navy in a similar role. I found out when I was 16 that it wasn't going to happen - end of story. I must say I was shattered then, I never even thought that my hearing problem was going to close so many doors for me.
My family weren't and still aren't very communicative. They never told me many things - I had to find everything out for myself. I found there were only 2 concessions made for my disability. Everyone came up to me to talk, never from a distance and the TV had permanent headphones attached so I could hear - this was done when I was about 10. Before that I laid on the floor about 4 feet away from the TV.
Sorry folks, didn't realise this was going to be such a ramble:pissed:
Anyway at the end of this all, I realised I have only met about 6 deaf people in my life and no, I don't know them anymore. Always found it difficult to relate to them.
I stumbled across this website and previewed it for a couple of days before finally deciding "Bugger it - make a move and make some change!" So here I am...

In closing, I'm not normally so depressing (at least, I hope not!). Thank you all for giving me this chance to talk to you. This is believe it or not, the first time I've spoken out about it to this degree.

That's an interesting story! I think you will find that it's surprisingly common. Welcome to AD :) I am an Aussie and married to a Kiwi so I have been to NZ many times.

Welcome NOMAD! I just joined this site too.....love it! I think I've logged on every day since joining, hehe! I went through similar story with my denial of my deafness and refusing to ask for help or get hearing aids. I just got them on Monday- I am a new person, life is really different. I don't hear everything, but am greatful of what I hear with them. I heard my wifes voice and she sang to me. She's got a beautiful voice. Don't be ashamed to wear your hearing aids. I'm proud of my new hearing aids and love to wear them. I was really worried about the cosmetic thing, but I laugh at that now. It's like a huge weight lifted off me, accepting my hearing loss and finally growing mature enough to do something about it.

I've gotta take my wife to NZ! She wants to go there so bad. Where's the best place to go there? We are into outdoorsey stuff and the pictures I've seen are just breathtaking.

thanks guys for your replies

Doug, it's mainly to do with admitting I'm different and have limitations. This is what was ingrained into me right from the pre-school days. I was always beaten and punished for not hearing the teachers because if I said I didn't hear them, I was lying! No protest made any difference. I didn't even realise myself that I actually had a hearing problem until a few years after I got my aid. So I couldn't really communicate to anyone what my problem was. Because we moved away from this area before I was diagnosed, I have no idea what would have been the end result in my old class(es).

Eventually I learned to shut up and keep my head low or else. Even when I got the aids, most kids and teachers made a bit of a show of me and added to my isolation. Naturally, if I heard something wrong, I was an idiot. The only defence I knew was to bash the instigator. Couldn't do it to an adult though, they hurt me far more than I could them. Eventually, I started to lose a few battles and my confidence went down with that as well and gave up fighting back.

Being the only person in the world the way I was (in my eyes at the time), I really didn't know what to do or feel. I know I wasn't happy and I learned to be a loner. Looking back now, I guess I was becoming a prime candidate to mix with the fringe elements and to be involved in substance abuse. But who knew that then? Me, least of all and I really had no-one to communicate with. The general population didn't seem to want to know me apart from the less desirable types.

As an adult now, the world is more accepting of these things. Most boilermakers end up with hearing loss to a degree and we begin to understand one another. But for me the damage is already done. I now have professional psychological help to try and move forward from here and I am confident I will get there, but it will take time. In the meantime there are many residual issues to deal with. My story seems the worst to me because I knew no-one to talk to or no-one else like myself. Of course now I know this is a load of sh**. People have been and always will be there, it's just a matter of finding them and I now know my story is not exclusive. For myself now, my disability is still a sore point and a point of shame, hence my shyness - but I will overcome that in time.

I'll have to apologise for making this heavier than a bucket of lead! I usually talk a lot more cheerfully than this. I do hope that you all will be patient with me here.:bowdown:

You want to go to NZ?

Doug there are so many places to see and so much to do. It also depends upon the time of year and the season.
NZ can be such a brilliant tourist destination, especially for Americans as the dollar exchange rates are in the USA favour and I guess the costs are quite reasonable by your standards.
Us Kiwis whinge about that profusely...............LOL
But I suppose if we weren't whinging, we'd be .......:rl: .........DEAD! haha

Hi Nomad and welcome to AD! :wave:

I can relate to your story as it parallels mine uncanningly close! We are the same age, got denied a career in the Air Force because of a hearing loss and are just now coming to an acceptance with it all.

It is places like this where you will find others that can help bring the world into a little better focus for yourself. I am in danger of losing my hearing altogether due to a degenerative disorder known as MELAS and have started to learn American Sign Language. But what all this has done is just enabled me to search out a bunch of new friends to help me see things in a different perspective. There is so much more to life that I don't want to get hung up on negative thoughts. I just push them out of my head when they pop up and think of what I really love most or have to be most thankful for.

You'll meet a lot of supportive and helpful folks around here. Enjoy the AD community!

Dave

:welcome: to All Deaf Nomad!! That was a very interesting story I read there. I'm sure you'll enjoy making friends here & post alot. We all have a past I'm sure. Sometimes you learn things the hard way. I have on many things myself. So I'm very understanding on alot of things you said. Enjoy your stay!!:)

:wave: :welcome: to Alldeaf Nomad!!! That was a very interesting and sad story, but, with a happy ending. You made your life what it is today, by learning from your mistakes, but, at the same time taking pride in who you really are!!! You will come to meet a lot of members who have been in your place. Everyone here is very understanding and compassionate. I hope you will enjoy being on this forum. So, have fun posting, and welcome aboard!!

Thanks folks for all the kind thoughts and the welcomes. It does make a difference.

Doug - let me know more specifically what you'd like to see and do and seasonal preferences and I can give you more info if you like.

HI nomad.. WElcome to AD.. I want you to know you are not alone in this.. there are alots of us in here who are all have at some degrees of hearing losses and even hearing people in here to support you. So I am happy you found this place. Enjoy the stay with us and happy posting away!!! :)

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Interesting to see a couple of chapters out of your life, as we all know, it can continue on, building more chapters to add to the story of one's life...all in all, maintaining such positiveness and aspiring hopes will greatly enchance one's life story. Wish you all the best too. Also, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD! ;)

Have a great day! :wave:

~RR

Welcome to Alldeaf! Have fun posting and browsing. :)

Nomad,
I would like to go when It's summer there....is it like a maritime climate there? When are the best months to visit in your opinion? I love to golf wherever I go, so I'd like a recommendation for a great golf course if you know one. Is Auckland a good place to go see?

Nomad,
I would like to go when It's summer there....is it like a maritime climate there? When are the best months to visit in your opinion? I love to golf wherever I go, so I'd like a recommendation for a great golf course if you know one. Is Auckland a good place to go see?

Auckland (my main hometown) is worth seeing, it has an abundance of things to see and do in summer, it all depends upon what u want to do. It has a harbour and is a boating mad place. I haven't lived there for 27 years, but visit from time to time. Traffic can be diabolical at times these days and with plenty of law enforcement. They drive on the left side of the road if you didn't know, like Australia and England. You may wish to elect to join a tour group and bus around, as they know where all the attractions are. Public transport is generally "pffft" - read- "is that what they call it?". Petrol about $1.70 liter or about that I think. You could try hiring a motorhome and camp in the many campgrounds, but it's painful taking it everywhere else (speaking from personal experience). It can be challenging trying to find some of the tourist attractions on your own, although it is better than it was 15 years ago.
Your local travel agent should provide current info, but in my experience their info is not always 100% accurate and you should cross check everything.
The wwweb has lots of info which may help you make your decisions.
Generally the North Island (which has about 3/4 of the population) is the way to go for some scenery, things to do and places to see. The South Island has similar, but is the place for rugged and spectacular scenery. If you go to Milford Sound way down the deep South West, take heaps of repellent, sandflies eat people there (not REALLY kidding, they are diabolical down there). It can get awfully expensive there, so check all your costs before you go.
Our indigenous folks the Maoris stopped eating Americans recently as they prefer the taste of the Aussies now (just kidding!). The people are generally quite friendly, but like everwhere else in the world, there are 'no go' areas as well.
There's way too much to be said for this post, but I suggest looking up on the net and pm me if you would like more info. Try these to start with:

New Zealand Travel Packages - Discover New Zealand Holidays
Lord of the Rings Tours $2990 for 2 .....Prices are scary here
A New Zealand Travel Guide .....this one looks good

Back