An Opinion on HOH

emilySUN

Reaction score
Hello ~~~

I'm mildly/moderately HOH. Found that out "officially" a couple months ago but had trouble hearing people & sounds for a while before that like a year (am 25 now). Also have central auditory processing disorder (CAPD) since childhood making it hard to communicate orally or to listen to sounds/voices.

I've always been fascinated with ASL and after enrolling in a class online (www.signingonline.com), have learned really fast - love it. Also bought other DVDs and books to learn. Cuz of this also learned a bit about Deaf culture.

I wanted to go to a Deaf coffee night near me. I tried to get my boyfriend to go with me and his opinion was that was stupid they wouldn't have anything to do with me. I wasn't fluent in ASL and I wasn't Deaf/deaf. I was trying to be something I'm not.

I'm upset because I can actually TALK in ASL and follow conversations. Plus I think it's beautiful and so much fun to learn.

Thought maybe this would be a good place to post. What do you all think?

Thank you.

Hi Emily.....I am also hoh, and have been since childhood. I definitly think there is a place for hoh folks in the Deaf culture....Being Deaf is about being a Visual person rather then having a certain audiogram.

hey emily...
welcome to alldeaf..

this is only my opinion so dun bash me for it. :)
Maybe your boyfriend is afraid that you will be "One of them" and doesnt want you to change. He may be afraid of changes etc..Maybe he heard rumours about deaf people and don't want you to end up like one of us. But if you are truly determined and really like ASL then go for it.

Have at it, I say go for coffee, if he doesnt want to join you then it is his loss. Im sure that you will be welcomed by all

I think you should go for it !!!

of course it's expected that you'll do an "intro" because no one will know who you are... just be prepared to right off the bat say that you're hoh, and that you have CAPD (and explain what it is briefly) , and that you are just starting to learn ASL , and you would really like to get to meet the community, and learn more ASL :)

I knwo that my hearing friends have this totally unreasonable fear that if I'm friends with other D/HH people that I'll end up brushing my hearing friends off - which isn't how I feel at all. ( of course after knowing my hearing friends for 10 years ... you'd think they'd try to learn at least a little ASL or at least the ABCs for me ... wouldn't you ??? )

Good Luck !!!

and just remember to be honest and upfront :)

Go for it!

We can only learn from experience! Go to your Deaf Coffee a few times, be friendly and introduce yourself (don't hang back) and eventually you will decide whether or not it is for you. Deaf, deaf, HOH, Late Deafened, etc. etc. we all require something a little different and must learn to be ourselves. This takes time, patience and persistence.

Everyone has a fear of the Unknown! If YOU find that you enjoy deaf culture and your BF DOES NOT, well, then, thank goodness you found out early enough! You do not want a man who is ashamed of you.

Hey!!
Im also mildy/moderate HOH and also have always been fascinated with ASL..but I think thats that the same for most all of us HOH lol..As for your BF..his loss he's missing out on a beautiful thing! I wish I could find things like that around me - anyone know how to find those sort of things? Im in upstate NY

Back