An interpreter for a wedding....

...Tousi, I didn't understand your question hon, what do you mean by sign language systems?.. :dunno: ..
He means ASL, SEE, PSE, etc.

Oh, sorry about that, Thank you Reba, she always ask first if they prefer ASL, SEE or PSE, before she begins....So it seems to me she knows all of them...:D

I'm having a very hard time getting a sign language interpreter for my wedding this July, I called Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center twice and left a message on their answering machine, none of them had returned my calls regarding to having an interpreter for a July wedding, so I called again today, spoke to a female there, which she wasn't being quite helpful, first I asked for an interpreter that I knew that works there, I gave her the interpreter's name, ( I won't name the person who I asked for but she interpreter for all my three pregnancy, my sister's wedding and my first wedding, and known her for many years, she is a very close friend of mine but I lost in touch with her over the years, and can't find her address and etc ) but the lady on the phone told me she no longer work for them, didn't give me any farther information regarding her..

So I asked for another interpreter which that interpreter gave me her card, and known her years ago and bump into her when she came to one of my children's music program and I asked her about interpretering a wedding this July, she told me she could do it and gave me her card, but the lady on the phone told me that interpreter doesn't do weekends weddings only weekdays...

I asked for any other interpreter I may know or feel comfortable with, she told me it has to be freehand interpreters for weddings, I don't know what she meant by that, but I told her I didn't want a stranger, I wanted someone I would feel comfortable with or someone I know, cause I'm talking about a wedding here, and she said she understands and asked if anything else I need and that was it, she didn't give me any more helpful suggestion or advices, I dunno if I'm taken this the wrong way, but does anyone here rather to have an interpreter that they know or trust that they will do a good job? or feel comfortable with? to have on their wedding day?...Or would you choose any interpreters?...

Try Church where you go there every Sunday????
I remembered when my late husband passed away... Preacher for the deaf came to interpret without asking me... and my favorite interpreter also came in to interpret.. I did not ask her... she was my best friend...but she was there for me... on the day before my husband was buried.. I had three interpreters....I was surprised.. i did not ask for.... i was in state of depressions...

Afterward.. I personally went to each of interpreter and thanked ...they told me thats i was their favorite client.. thats why they came for me...

I already posted an update, look for post #27 :D

Yayayayayayayaya finally about the time you got an interpreter for your wedding :-D lol haha

me waiting for the interpreter to email me back to hear if it is ok with it for my sister's weding on july 28th lol ha :lol:

Oh, sorry about that, Thank you Reba, she always ask first if they prefer ASL, SEE or PSE, before she begins....So it seems to me she knows all of them...:D

Obviously, the interpreter can use only one of these sign systems and from what I have seen of people here over the years, and this is just a guess on my part, it looks like a toss up between PSE and ASL and to be on the safe side, maybe go with PSE???

Sorry for the confusion, Angel...

Obviously, the interpreter can use only one of these sign systems and from what I have seen of people here over the years, and this is just a guess on my part, it looks like a toss up between PSE and ASL and to be on the safe side, maybe go with PSE???

Sorry for the confusion, Angel...

Yeah I know that, she isn't gonna to ask every deaf quests which one they prefer, she is only doing what RR or I want, and I have no plm with which ever signs she does use...

Yayayayayayayaya finally about the time you got an interpreter for your wedding :-D lol haha

me waiting for the interpreter to email me back to hear if it is ok with it for my sister's weding on july 28th lol ha :lol:

Is it someone you already known?...

she also told me that most interpreters charge $100-200 dollars for every 2 hours and $60-70 every half an hour , :gulps: , where did my money go?

Wow. I'm in Columbus (a couple hours south of Cleveland) and those prices sound too high. Most freelance interpreters (not going thru an agency) charge less than $50/hour.

OOPs.... sorry...I am happy to know you finally found your favorite interpreter.... now you can REST....

That's good that you finally got an interpreter!

For my wedding, I had an interpreter for FREE! :giggle: It was one of my good friends from high school, she was already going through training to become an interpreter so it was good practice for her to interpret for my wedding! :D

I have some bad news and some good news....

I took Brian's and Reba's advice on calling and email a couple of interpreters that was on the listing, only three had replied back, but they charge too much, so I didn't give up and made a few more calls, but none of them had return my calls, so I've been down for the last couple of weeks trying to locate this one interpreter that I became close to over the years as I explained that she was my high school interpreter and had interpreter for my 3 pregnancy, and she was one of the fewest people that I could truly count on during the time I was married....so today I made a couple more phone calls trying to see if anyone knew where that interpreter is, a number or an email address that I could get in touch with her, but no one knew. so I said a little prayer after I got off the phone, the suddenly I got this strong feelings, so I start looking through desk drawers, and picked up this small address book that I had for a couple of years, hoping I would find her address in it, but nope, so then I start looking and digging in my drawers, until I saw this thick blue case and inside the case is pages of people's address so I kept flipping the pages a couple of times until I found her name and her address, oh my goodness I almost nearly cried, so I spoke to her through relay service for half an hour after catching up with each others and the things that happened over the years etc, then I asked her to be my interpreter for my wedding this July and she said yes!!! This has been one of the most happiest day of my life, finally found her and sure can't wait to see her soon....:fingersx:

Many thanks to the members here that post in this thread for their advices and supports, your kindness help was greatly appreciated!! :D

I am very happy for you. You had found it in your drawer! Thank goodness! I am so-so very happy you! I am relived for you!

Anyways, I had an interpreter is a woman, she invited us for my cousin's wedding in 2002 at California from Minnesota. :) Good times!

I am very fortunately, I have three good friends of mine. They interpreter for my wedding as the gifts. They are very sweet interpreters.

I have known them since my sons were little. :)

Back