An interpreter for a wedding....

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm having a very hard time getting a sign language interpreter for my wedding this July, I called Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center twice and left a message on their answering machine, none of them had returned my calls regarding to having an interpreter for a July wedding, so I called again today, spoke to a female there, which she wasn't being quite helpful, first I asked for an interpreter that I knew that works there, I gave her the interpreter's name, ( I won't name the person who I asked for but she interpreter for all my three pregnancy, my sister's wedding and my first wedding, and known her for many years, she is a very close friend of mine but I lost in touch with her over the years, and can't find her address and etc ) but the lady on the phone told me she no longer work for them, didn't give me any farther information regarding her..

So I asked for another interpreter which that interpreter gave me her card, and known her years ago and bump into her when she came to one of my children's music program and I asked her about interpretering a wedding this July, she told me she could do it and gave me her card, but the lady on the phone told me that interpreter doesn't do weekends weddings only weekdays...

I asked for any other interpreter I may know or feel comfortable with, she told me it has to be freehand interpreters for weddings, I don't know what she meant by that, but I told her I didn't want a stranger, I wanted someone I would feel comfortable with or someone I know, cause I'm talking about a wedding here, and she said she understands and asked if anything else I need and that was it, she didn't give me any more helpful suggestion or advices, I dunno if I'm taken this the wrong way, but does anyone here rather to have an interpreter that they know or trust that they will do a good job? or feel comfortable with? to have on their wedding day?...Or would you choose any interpreters?...

Try find another local and to see if availably an interpreter who willing come down and attend your wedding...

Freelance interpreter may have literate sign languages.. do you feel comfortable with...
Important other Deaf people who can understand...
Up to you..

I would think I want an interpreter that I know, to interpets a big event of my life. But if I can't find one, then I would probably have to go and find some other interpreter that I do not know who. I will probably go and make sure that they have license and stuff like that before hiring one.

You can still make new friends with new interpreters...right?

Of course I would choose which interpreter, I feel comfortable to.

I have an interpreter which only 15 minutes away drive from my home... She is a person, I feel comfortable... but she is not able to be there for me all the time because of appointments... I gave my wish list of interpreters to Agency for the Interpreter central. They awared which interpreter I wish.

Your wish should be fulfilling to pick which interpreter, you feel comfortable to. It´s important that you feel comfortable...

I'm having a very hard time getting a sign language interpreter for my wedding this July, I called Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center twice and left a message on their answering machine, none of them had returned my calls regarding to having an interpreter for a July wedding, so I called again today, spoke to a female there, which she wasn't being quite helpful, first I asked for an interpreter that I knew that works there, I gave her the interpreter's name, ( I won't name the person who I asked for but she interpreter for all my three pregnancy, my sister's wedding and my first wedding, and known her for many years, she is a very close friend of mine but I lost in touch with her over the years, and can't find her address and etc ) but the lady on the phone told me she no longer work for them, didn't give me any farther information regarding her..

So I asked for another interpreter which that interpreter gave me her card, and known her years ago and bump into her when she came to one of my children's music program and I asked her about interpretering a wedding this July, she told me she could do it and gave me her card, but the lady on the phone told me that interpreter doesn't do weekends weddings only weekdays...

I asked for any other interpreter I may know or feel comfortable with, she told me it has to be freehand interpreters for weddings, I don't know what she meant by that, but I told her I didn't want a stranger, I wanted someone I would feel comfortable with or someone I know, cause I'm talking about a wedding here, and she said she understands and asked if anything else I need and that was it, she didn't give me any more helpful suggestion or advices, I dunno if I'm taken this the wrong way, but does anyone here rather to have an interpreter that they know or trust that they will do a good job? or feel comfortable with? to have on their wedding day?...Or would you choose any interpreters?...

you poor thing! :(
i can relate ... I KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING IT CAN BE...
i would rather it be someone i know or i am familiar with cuz there have been times when someone is new.. they SUCK! (they either were learning, not certified or didn't follow orders, etc) and i always asked for a replacement... ya know???

but this is YOUR SPECIAL DAY... so you want a SKILLED ONE- instead of a sucky one or you will be miserable!!! (cuz ofc you can't get a replacement! :ugh:

is there a way you can find your interpreter in the white pages?? :hmm:
White Pages Phone Directory with Free People Search... and there are a few other links too ... if you would like, i can give you some- let me know...

I may be wrong, but I believe you would need to pay up for a freelanced (self-employed) interpreter.

You could go to the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) site and use the database to search for Interpreter/RID members. Just select the state and forget the rest, you will get all the listing of Interpreters in your state, especially in your area.

Reba and other Interpreters here probably can advise you what you can do and etc.

Good luck, Angel. :)

I may be wrong, but I believe you would need to pay up for a freelanced (self-employed) interpreter.

You could go to the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) site and use the database to search for Interpreter/RID members. Just select the state and forget the rest, you will get all the listing of Interpreters in your state, especially in your area.

Reba and other Interpreters here probably can advise you what you can do and etc.

Good luck, Angel. :)
I agree, check the RID list first. That interpreter that Angel used to know might be listed there, with contact information.

Check this directory also:

OCRID - Ohio Chapter of the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf

And if your'e assigned someone you don't know, I'd strongly suggest a meeting with that person to "evaluate" her/him to ascertain you would be satisfied with that person. This means to get this ball rolling NOW cuz you might go thru several people before you pick the one you want and who'd be available on your wedding day. If all else fails, get a freelance terp who also meets your requirements and set aside 100-200 bucks, depending on how long you would need that person and pay him/her.

At any rate, hope this part of your plans will work out.....

I´m glad to see that ADers give you good suggestion... I hope everything will be solved....

Thanks Reba for providing the link and information, also for the rest that supplied good advice and encouragements as well. :ty:

~RR

WOW, Thank you so much Reba, This information definitely helps a lot!!!!...

And thanks everyone else for the information, suggestions etc, I appreciate it very much!!!

or ask your close deaf friends who might know the interpreter around?? I hope you can find your interpreter soon. :)

WOW, Thank you so much Reba, This information definitely helps a lot!!!!...

And thanks everyone else for the information, suggestions etc, I appreciate it very much!!!
Welcome. :)

I hope you find what you need.

Angel...I wish you a best of luck find a great interpreter for your wedding. It would be helpful for you and RR and PLUS your guests.

This is what AD is all about, to solve and work out to make everyone happy.

It is important to get know the Interpreter's first, as you will remember it for the rest of your life!!

How about lol

Tell the interpreter they can eat free and drink free if they interpreter for your Weddin' ha ha ha ...Interpreter might go for it hee hee I don't know ...duh me!!!:giggle:

Back