An idea? Maybe? Or has this already been discussed?

DGirl101

Reaction score
I am wondering if Alex should set it up, so that before a person signs up, they are directed to a page first and foremost, which will list several things.

For Example:

If you are a student in the process of becoming an interpreter or is learning ASL, SEE, and etc in school....DO NOT come here expecting to have your questions for school or a paper answered. AllDeaf members are not here to help you with your homework. This is a forum for a community to come together and talk about a wide range of issues and debate over certain topics. You can peruse the boards to find your answers here, as we have pretty much covered over the common questions asked, and even rare ones too! Members of AllDeaf are always happy to help you out, however, it is getting old having to say welcome and deal with the sudden appearance and disappearance of some who sign up only to ask a question for a school assignments.

While we will not prevent you from signing up and joining AllDeaf, we do ask that you sign up only if you truly wish to be a part of the community. It does not help us if you only sign up for one post, ask questions, then leave. In the event that this does happen, a certain time period will be given to you and should it come close to the time we delete your account, we will send three warnings to your email. After that, it is bye bye.

We do not believe that life makes it easy on us all, so should you have a sudden issue that prevents you from coming to AllDeaf, then alert the forum staff or Alex and they will keep a hold of the account.............

I could go on....but I won't

Well that is just some of it......if there was a link that directed people to this page first maybe they will not sign up? <----meaning those pesky one thread stand posters. I am sure Alex knows what accounts are active and which are not.

Wishful thinking......

this has already been discussed and previously anyone coming here had to introduce themselves first...but apparently it doesn't apply anymore and anyone can just come and ask questions...but i do agree ppl shouldn't just come here once get their answers and just leave...its rude I find..but alas I am not a moderator nor Alex :) you should put this in the suggestion corner or watev its called so mods and Alex can see it:) it's a great post and great idea about limited membership and such:)

Won't stop people from just posting once and leaving. Plus, it sounds a lot more labour-intensive for something that won't produce any [noticeable] results.

people who sign up for one purpose is consider a spam in my definition. Althought it is not spam, but it sure does act like a spam.

Won't stop people from just posting once and leaving. Plus, it sounds a lot more labour-intensive for something that won't produce any [noticeable] results.

I agree that it wont stop some people, however thats why I suggested having inactive accounts deleted....after 3 warnings are sent to email. The suggestion was made since it may help with keeping it clean on the servers and such...(is not literate with servers, bandwidth and whatnot, do not know how it goes. )

It will help in a way, and I admit it does sound labor intensive, but the members are getting fed up with this constant posting once and disappearing. Pretty soon it is going to get to a point where members will get tired of welcoming new members.

What about having a person or people that only does just that? Delete inactive accounts where needed?

NOOOOO! It is not due to your post.

:)

This is something that has been happening for quite some time......

I agree that it wont stop some people, however thats why I suggested having inactive accounts deleted....after 3 warnings are sent to email. The suggestion was made since it may help with keeping it clean on the servers and such...(is not literate with servers, bandwidth and whatnot, do not know how it goes. )

I totally agreed with the idea of deleting inactive members after three warnings sent to the email. But my question is how long does it take to automatically send a warning? Inactive for three months or six months?

Is it possible for the forum software to do this automaticly? I'm a new member and I'm going to try my best to be active and going to get my mom set up on here.

By the way, your profile picture daystarnite is hot. I love those books and the movies.

Is it possible for the forum software to do this automaticly? I'm a new member and I'm going to try my best to be active and going to get my mom set up on here.

By the way, your profile picture daystarnite is hot. I love those books and the movies.

I don't think it should be done if you are speaking of the OP's suggestion as it is one step towards isolation and who wants that? :P

Back