An Hearing Person Comes Up To You And Say "What's that?" OR "Is that a hearing aid?"

*Starfish87*

Reaction score
Have you guys ever tried to hide your cochlear implant? When I was a kid, out the public, I hid my cochlear implant by letting my long har down because I didn't want soembody comes up and say "what's that?" then I had to explain it to them. Also the other reason was that it was annoying that they think it was a hearing aid. Another reason was that I felt like if somebody saw the CI (or they think it's hearing aid) and they get afraid of me because they don't know how to talk to me. But now, I don't do that anymore because I want to teach them about CI and I don't want to hide the truth about myself. I wonder that is there anyone have done it before.

It's not something you should be ashamed of.

Yes, there will always be people who don't understand these things.

I was at work a few weeks ago and needed to speak with the department manager at one store. The person I talked to mentioned that there was no department manager, but there was someone that I could talk to since she is covering that department while working in her own department. He then asked, "Is that a hearing aid?" "Yes." "Oh, cool. Well, the manager you have to talk to... she had something... that thing... you know... that weird thing on her head, almost like yours." "Oh, you mean a cochlear implant?" "Yeah, I guess... I dunno. That, yeah!" He then got her and came back with her. When that person left, I told her what the other guy said to me and she laughed. She said it was normal for new employees who weren't familiar with CI. I thought it was funny. He didn't do it intentionally or in a mean way. He just didn't know what it was. I forgive him for that. :)

Have you guys ever tried to hide your cochlear implant? When I was a kid, out the public, I hid my cochlear implant by letting my long har down because I didn't want soembody comes up and say "what's that?" then I had to explain it to them. Also the other reason was that it was annoying that they think it was a hearing aid. Another reason was that I felt like if somebody saw the CI (or they think it's hearing aid) and they get afraid of me because they don't know how to talk to me. But now, I don't do that anymore because I want to teach them about CI and I don't want to hide the truth about myself. I wonder that is there anyone have done it before.

Mine was once confused for a bluetooth/cell phone device! LOL

When I was a kid, some people thought my hearing aid was some kind of new radio. LOL!

Starfish - you should start practicing how to explain it in a very short sentence. I tell people - "oh it's a hearing aids. It helps me to hear. I'm deaf." No need to say - "it's a cochlear implant blah blah blah." It scares them. Start practicing what to say to curious people.

One time - the kids were pointing, asking mommy - "what is that??" I overheard it and told them that i'm a bodyguard and it's just a wireless earpiece :cool2: Mom, of course, knows it's not true but chuckled anyway when the kids were like "wwooww so cool!"

Starfish - you should start practicing how to explain it in a very short sentence. I tell people - "oh it's a hearing aids. It helps me to hear. I'm deaf." No need to say - "it's a cochlear implant blah blah blah." It scares them. Start practicing what to say to curious people.

One time - the kids were pointing, asking mommy - "what is that??" I overheard it and told them that i'm a bodyguard and it's just a wireless earpiece :cool2: Mom, of course, knows it's not true but chuckled anyway when the kids were like "wwooww so cool!"

I thought hearing people know what CIs are and some of them have expressed that all deaf people should get one?

I wouldn't do that. ARe you trying to lessen the awareness of CI ?

I will say "Oh, it's cochlear implant and it helps me to hear because I am deaf."

I have been asked "is that phone?" I replied "no, it is cochlear implant. It help me hear."

last time I was asked was in a bar last sunday while watching NASCAR and baseballs on big screen. I didn't need go into explaining in greater detail, my response was sufficient.

I wouldn't do that. ARe you trying to lessen the awareness of CI ?

I will say "Oh, it's cochlear implant and it helps me to hear because I am deaf."

I have been asked "is that phone?" I replied "no, it is cochlear implant. It help me hear."

last time I was asked was in a bar last sunday while watching NASCAR and baseballs on big screen. I didn't need go into explaining in greater detail, my response was sufficient.

Well it's a good start for somebody very uncomfortable like Starfish to try to break the ice. He/she felt very apprehended about this situation when people ask him what is that thing. Just giving him a good start to overcome it then he can explain it in length if he wants. CI is still one of hearing aids anyway on broad sense.

I would just say, "I've been assimilated by the Borg. Resistance is futile!" Nah, I won't really say that.

I was never really asked about it. In fact, I like to show it off. I just stick it on there, and who cares if they stare. It's up to US to teach the public about the CI. I've had young kids stare a little.

I think it would be funny if I say, "Oh, I work for the FBI, and I have direct connection to the secret services computer."

I've had a deaf girl behind me at Starbucks ask me if it was a BAHA, I explained it was a CI.

I've had a few hearing people who know other friends/family members who have CI and they comment on that, but mostly nobody really says anything.

When I was a kid, some people thought my hearing aid was some kind of new radio. LOL!

Same here! And I played along with it too.

In adulthood I've never had anyone ask me what my hearing aid or CI was though. Even when I went to the Philippines recently, no one asked me what the CI was, which surprised me as they are not common there and nor are hearing aids except among the wealthy.

If you wanna set the curious at ease, why not start out with something like, "Remember when they told E.T. to phone home? Well,.........." Lol...

It's not something you should be ashamed of.

Yes, there will always be people who don't understand these things.

I was at work a few weeks ago and needed to speak with the department manager at one store. The person I talked to mentioned that there was no department manager, but there was someone that I could talk to since she is covering that department while working in her own department. He then asked, "Is that a hearing aid?" "Yes." "Oh, cool. Well, the manager you have to talk to... she had something... that thing... you know... that weird thing on her head, almost like yours." "Oh, you mean a cochlear implant?" "Yeah, I guess... I dunno. That, yeah!" He then got her and came back with her. When that person left, I told her what the other guy said to me and she laughed. She said it was normal for new employees who weren't familiar with CI. I thought it was funny. He didn't do it intentionally or in a mean way. He just didn't know what it was. I forgive him for that. :)

Right on Vamp... Have you ever seen someone in a wheelchair or in a cast or something, and you were just curious about what happened to them. You weren't judging them or anything, just curious. Actually, it is almost a compliment for someone to ask you what is up with your implant or aid cuz at least they are interested. It always makes me feel uncomfortable when I talk to a blind person, which happens a lot, because I wonder if they ever had their sight. The reason I wonder is that I don't know if they have ever seen clouds or colors or things that are almost impossible to explain. It helps to know what they have experienced so you know how to hold an intelligent conversation. It is like how stupid do you sound to a blind person if you say, "Wow, I just got a really cool new car, and it is cherry red, my favorite color?" If he lost his sight later in life, then he understands colors, if not, he doesn't give a crap what your favorite color is because he has never seen colors.. I know I am rambling, but the important thing is communicating and educating each other about our lives and stuff. We all have lots to gain from each other, but fear keeps us separated. Anything that seems "different" can cause us to feel intimidation and widen the chasm. A few minutes of explanation can be worth more than anything.

Hearing people have no clue of how a CI works or what it does. If anything, they think that they do more than they were created to do, so then they might expect a CI user to understand every little thing. They will not know that there are certain sounds, like music, that are hard to work with at first. So, if you take it as a compliment that they are curious, it will only be a good thing if you take a moment and explain. You might even make a new friend for life that you never expected.

Thanks for your post. It was a good one :)

I've been implanted only couple ( maybe three? I lost track of time, was implanted on the 22th may ) of weeks ..had an early activation though..

So far people are asking me what's that I wear , and from some family friends and distant relatives say that CI won't work b/c I don't wear earmould.LOL

I just explain that I've been operated specially and I wear now an BTE CI which is similar to my old HA but has lot of differences too..most people know what's a CI as theyve met people with CI although usually are pre-lingual babies or toddlers..few adults here risk the operation , deaf people feel threatened and use sign language.

But I've met people that wondered what was my old HA and why did I wore it..I always explained with patience , but stupid remarks throw me off and I lose my patience and just let them believe what they say..

ie , bf the operation , was explaining the CI operation and approving here in Greece to a family friend..she said all knowingly..yeah yeah..after a couple of years you will not need the magnet , sound will be transmitted :shock:wirelessly....:shock:and won't need the coil or the magnet..and the tip of the iceberg..she is a speech therapist..my own childhood speech therapist!!who knows all about HA's and deafness..and knows about CI's too but after that remark I am sure she needs to research it more..I never corrected her assumptions..I never stick up for what I think is right..

Answering in a monotone robotic voice that it is to keep in contact with your leaders on the planet mvemjunp to the local crazy homeless guy is always fun...

People usually seen to know. If they are up in my face asking, I don't think they are going to become my friend if I answer. I do not ask personal questions of others, and I expect others to respect my space. Just because you do not know something does not give you the right to bother others just to satisfy your curiousity.

I know, I was just a kid, I didn't want to explain. I want them to know that I am hearing, not deaf. Now, I always explain to them and I didn't have any problem with that. I was just wondering is there anyone have done it before. That's doesn't mean that I still hide the CI. I wear the ponytail most of time.

I have worn hearing aids since I was 5 and I'm still considering a CI. When I was really little kids were always asking mainly because they had a probably never seen them. Growing up people rarely what they were but people would always ask why I needed them.

Same here also. The kids thought the squealing of my HA was some sort of code for me and only I could translate the noise, which happened to be music.

A few days ago, as I was wearing my CI, a lady asked my mother if I was on the phone. My mother quickly looked at me and said "Oh...no, she has a CI. It helps her hear better. She has a HA on the otherside." The lady looked at me completely dumbfounded and then proceded to ask me if it hurt to wear it. I had to explain to her that the only pain was from the surgery. After that it's all gravy.

Back