An Experience...

hugoboss84

Reaction score
Hi.. I am hard of hearing, and I have been with a hearing aid all this while. I am writing here an experience of mine, and would like someone to suggest some good ways to get me out of this bad experience...

I dont know how bad it has been, but I havent been able to make people around me understand myself and my disability. Yeh, I am longing for a close friend since I left high school but have been turned down because people often think of me as a lesser individual on account of my handicap. I wonder why it is so weird!!! I havent grown up with deaf people, just with the normal society, but it has not been easy making the right set of friends around. Often, I would take off my hearing aids so people would know that I am normal and fine, and would be gr8 friends. I used to this some time back, but didnt realize how much I was missing out in conversations. The worst part has oubviously been the opposite sex. I am a male, and I do have a lot of friends who are girls, but no one who is a good friend or someone who understands me most, other than my family. Wondering as to why people feel that living/dating a person like me would have all the hassles in life like communication, etc. Once I started wearing my hearing aids (because I needed them), I gradually lost all those friends one-by-one. I am not desperate for a relationship, but yeah, very desperate for close friends. I dont care about relationships, because I have tried dating 10 girls now, and all of them turned to be a failure because of my inability to communicate - I just didnt find the right person. It is so sickening as to why people have a problem over such things, and I often end up blaming myself for everything, and hurting myself.

I dont even like sympathy, but there was this girl who is hearing (she understands me alot, because her own father is partially blind), and since the affair was long distance I tried my best to make it work. She was like an angel to me, because I found a ray of hope - someone who could understand me. All the while I was away, I didnt know she was cheating behind my back, only to later tell me at the end of 2 years that she considers me as a friend and nothing more (earlier when I had proposed, she said yes but we have to see how we can make it work). Now, I just hate it totally because she makes me happy by going around with me, so that I dont feel hurt, and that is purely sympathy. I am not basically trying to blame girls for this - but yeah, people need to understand that a disability should never come in between of anything (relationship, job, anything). She only tells me that she didnt want to admit the truth about herself, because she doesnt want to see me hurt - as if i have never been hurt in my life !!! I havent given up, but yeah given up the idea of finding someone. I prefer to follow the old saying - achieve something, and people will come running to you.

It is kinda hard to make someone understand me, as I live in a place where there is not much awareness about handicaps. Worse, I feel I am lost because I havnt been able to make close friends - it has been going on for the last 2 years now!!

I wonder if there is a special term attached to we deaf/hard of hearing people - " getting hurt ". And is this "getting hurt" any different from hearing people?
I know we dont have good ears to listen, but we are not the only ones who have problems in life. Anyway, thats it what I am gonna say, but it has been quite a sad experience for me.

Whoa! I read you that you not only one. you not the only one in the whole world! Look at other hearing people go through the same problems, it is not just with the deaf culture. It is a process in your experience to become a better person about yourself.

What does it have to do with the hearing world ? When everywhere it says, that the way to keep a relationship strong and running for a long time, is to make sure you "listen", and your communication is good. Ok, let me assume that the other person DOES know of my problem. the other person will automatically feel that I have no scope for communication, without even trying me out!! This is pretty sick...

I dont believe in stupid dating/relationship principles. I create my own set of rules, and that is to make sure trust and understanding exists. Physical appearance and communication can come second. But, if you are actually targeting hearing people, it is not an easy bet - 98% of the people are bound to reject. And I have moved ahead with 10 failed attempts, but have also had enough of people not being able to accept me the way I am. These attempts drove me nuts, though it did hurt me alot too.

Back