an artificial voice

the device that i'm going to do is contain two gloves connected to tiny box , the gloves contain sensors the can convert the ASL to data then play sound compatible the sign
this device has a limited words , it's based on applications and locations ( for example the deaf can use only when he is in the taxi , or during travel ,asking for bath room .....)
did you think it's a good idea
regards
Marwan

Are you an inventor?
Are you trying to invent some kind of "translator" with simple, most common 'commands' that deaf pple can use whenever it is necessary?

I think it can be good idea, yes, for those who have severe problems with speech
and happened to be in an environment where no one can understand them.
Who knows what can grow from here...

Fuzzy

When I was born, I was implanted with a voice box so I could learn how to speak.

Rofl, I had to share this one. I asked my dad to send me a voice message to my phone to use at work. It was supposed to say "please open the gate I have a delivery" but instead my dad left "open the f#%king gate, package for you" and all this time I never understood why the customers looked at me angry upon delivery. What a prank!

Wow! Guess your dad wanted to make sure you didn't ask him for another favor! So how did you finally figure it out? Did one of your customers complain?

thanks Audiofuzzy
and for all friends here
yes i'm inventor and i start with this prototype , and really i need all friends here to share this experience ,
'''Can you imagine if there was a bug in the system? The deaf person thinks he's saying one thing and the device is saying something else."""
thanks for your notes here Jazzberry , i will try to make a small display into the box that can help deaf person to know what he say.
and my inventor is related to application for example (in taxi , in holtel , at shopping .....)
not when you start a fight or any other things

all notes are welcome
thanks for your sharing
Marwan

my friend , please take the invention from positive side , i know that all deaf people like sign , and i like sign language , and i know as the voice is my first option , the sign for deaf is the first and best option as language , but i'm talking here for second change that can help , this device will help non deaf to learn sign language faster , since will release will manual instruction that will help to learning sign language .
i will call the invention : second choice

SilentRider , you can add a predefined voice that fire when you make a special sign by your hands
naisho , yes you alright , this device will only used when Deaf need to communicated with no deaf person that not knowed ASL

Last edited:
Wow! Guess your dad wanted to make sure you didn't ask him for another favor! So how did you finally figure it out? Did one of your customers complain?

Lol, my dad thought it would be funny. Yeah one customer called the customer service and complained. Then they asked me. So I played my text and they laughed and told me what my dad said. So that's how I found out. If u know my dad he just likes to mess around for fun. I thought it was funny. And helped make sense to their face reaction when I got to the house.

SilentRider , you can add a predefined voice that fire when you make a special sign by your hands
naisho , yes you alright , this device will only used when Deaf need to communicated with no deaf person that not knowed ASL

Lol, I found a app that lets me type my msg and it voices it for me. So plm solved.

my friend , please take the invention from positive side , i know that all deaf people like sign , and i like sign language , and i know as the voice is my first option , the sign for deaf is the first and best option as language , but i'm talking here for second change that can help , this device will help non deaf to learn sign language faster , since will release will manual instruction that will help to learning sign language .
i will call the invention : second choice

Can I use this on my dog too I would love to know what he is saying when he is barking !

Marwan,

I find your posts a little enigmatic. In the "Best way to learn ASL language" thread, you introduced yourself as being from Lebanon.

A couple posts later in that thread Tousi asked you if you already knew Lebanese Sign Language.

You never answered him.

Why all this concern about creating something for people in another country, who live very far away from you, and who use ASL? If you live in Lebanon it seems you are more likely to be familiar with the Lebanese deaf and what their lifestyle and values tend to be. Or are you?

Do you know any deaf people? Can you communicate in any sign language?

I'm enough of a geek that personally I think its worth it to invent something just to see if you can make it work. Assuming that it won't be harmful and that that it won't wipe you or your family out financially.

But when it comes to developing and marketing a product for a specific group of people -- I have a feeling that you have very little knowledge about how to go about doing this.

hi all , no i don't know lebanese sign language
and sorry for all peaple here
i will switch my invention to other way
i will make the invention only to help deafless peaple to learn sign language
yes i post my idea here because i need to know more about all SL language from all language , like arabic ASL , chinese CSL ........

please i need your help to do the invention i good way
thanks for your help
i love you all
Marwan:ty:

OK, changing the proposed product to something that would teach hearing people how to sign? We already have a lot of online tutorials managed by people who speak ASL fluently.

but the device will read you hands and fingers
so this will help to learning faster the SL

How much ASL have you learned so far? Do you know what the 5 general paramaters are for each sign?

The 5th one is usually called non-manual markers (NMMs) and includes various facial expressions, head tilting, shoulder raising and mouthing that are added to hand signs to create meaning.

For myself I think that the facial expressions and also the subtleties of movement are so important in ASL that I doubt that I would find the kind of device you are thinking of creating of much use.

Consider the difference in signing 'equal' and 'more', 'cell phone' and one of the signs for 'thick', 'dry' and 'ugly', or 'late' and 'not yet.' The first four signs help demonstrate how finely calibrated the device would have to be in order to be able to accurately identify the sign. The last four signs demonstrate the importance of NMMs. The only difference between 'dry' and 'ugly' is facial expression, and between 'late' and 'not yet' a couple of other NMMs.

The device you are considering marketing might be more useful to help teach a more limited set of information like fingerspelling and numbers.

But again, why this concern for creating a product for a group of people you don't know and whose culture you don't know? Why ASL instead of LSL?

Why ASL instead of LSL?
because i need to make a universal device that can work will all language SL
realy appreciate your help
thanks for you my freind

That's very ambitious. Perhaps you might end up with an enhanced dictionary -- a dictionary that makes it more clear how to sign a concept if used along with a video dictionary.

I'm also curious if other countries' SLs also use the 5 general paramaters that is discussed when teaching ASL.

Lifeprint.com uses a different sign for ugly. Based on what people have posted at AD, when there is a difference I use the Lifeprint sign.

Back