Amtrak Travel

Those interested in Amtrak travel should check out this forum:

discuss.amtraktrains.com

It is not affiliated with Amtrak. There is a lot of good advice & chatting about Amtrak and some other modes of transportation.

Yeah I took one years ago , I was traveling from California to Massauchettes
and brought a friend's daughter with me . I had to pay money to hold seats for us so would be able sit down on the second train , we had to made a change over. When we got to the stop to make our change over I was told we could not get on as the train was full . I was pissed off as I was told if I paid in advance the child and I would be able to get on the train and not have to wait for the next train. I got on the train anyway and there was a mother traveling with her child and she let us sit in one of the seat and we had a child sit on our lap. I was not about to wait 4 hours for the next train. And I decided we where going to fly back home to California . Some guy that was told he could not get the train saw me getting on so he got on too.
I took a non stop flight back and it was nice.

LoveBlue, are the showers in the individual roomettes or are they shared and down the hall somewhere?

Those interested in Amtrak travel should check out this forum:

discuss.amtraktrains.com

It is not affiliated with Amtrak. There is a lot of good advice & chatting about Amtrak and some other modes of transportation.

The url doesn't seem to be working.....

The roomette have a shower in the lower level. The coach class doesn't have a shower provided. I took shower in there, and it was not too bad.

The Amtrak forum is:

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Do cell phone works if have network coverage?

I use phone hotspot as wifi as long as I have the coverage.

That's nice.

In airplane, it is opposite because they are over the sky and I have to pay to use slow WiFi.

Yes as long as it's closer to the city or major highway. You should have coverage. Mountains and farming areas are out of reception area.

Yes, Verizon has best coverage, especially train goes through the rural area.

I had two choice to get home from DC.

The airplane will take around 2 hours to Atlanta and had to stop at ATL for other fly to Birmingham that took 20-30 minutes with some delay. Both included WiFi but no cell network coverage. I only paid WiFi for Atlanta to DC. The space is very limited and not enough room for laptop unless you willing to pay extra $$$$ for business class.

Amtrak could take nearly 20 hours. The cell phone will work with network coverage. I'm not sure about space and seating.

It is choice if I will take uncomfortable for few hours or comfortable for long hours. :hmm:

The bathroom at airplane is VERY SMALL.

I tried book a trip to Chicago on Amtrak, it seem very expensive than go on airport. :-/

Does paying for a roomette make you a first class passenger?

Sorry Foxrac, Calvin is correct. I was out on vacation in the mountain down West Virginia, I didn't have coverage, mind you there was not much coverage there where I had blast time. My wife, under sprint got very limited and barely few spot area. Hey, I am Verizon customer. shrugs

Yes as long as it's closer to the city or major highway. You should have coverage. Mountains and farming areas are out of reception area.

I tried book a trip to Chicago on Amtrak, it seem very expensive than go on airport. :-/

Yes, sometime, train is more expensive than airport.

but in my case, Amtrak is about $100 cheaper than fly (Delta/Southwest/AA)

Yes, you get all the dining room free (included with fare) and if you in Chicago, you get to stay in Metropolitan lounge with free drinks, clean restroom, tv, and comfortable chair. You get to board a bit early than coach class as well.

Edit: http://www.amtrak.com/station-lounges

Does paying for a roomette make you a first class passenger?

Last edited:
Sorry Foxrac, Calvin is correct. I was out on vacation in the mountain down West Virginia, I didn't have coverage, mind you there was not much coverage there where I had blast time. My wife, under sprint got very limited and barely few spot area. Hey, I am Verizon customer. shrugs

It is depending on region.

Birmingham to DC is likely to have most coverage with some no reception spot.

According to Verizon coverage map, West Virginia doesn't have much coverage, that why.

Yes, you get all the dining room free (included with fare) and if you in Chicago, you get to stay in Metropolitan lounge with free drinks, clean restroom, tv, and comfortable chair. You get to board a bit early than coach class as well.

Edit: Amtrak - Plan - At the Station - Station Lounges

How big is space and seating in Amtrak, compare to airplane?

Restroom is big or small?

Back